Topic: Pumkinhead 1988

Looking for something I haven't seen and this would qualify.  Is it any good?  I'm hoping that I might be in for a fun night with it but wanted to get a few opinions on here.  I'm a huge fan of Friday the 13th, The Burning, Sleepaway Camp, Etc...

Re: Pumkinhead 1988

Monster revenge movie.  I liked it.  Good story, nice FX, some cool kills.

Well, unlike the movies you mentioned, this isn't a slasher flick.  This is a witchcraft/demon/revenge flick.  Directed by Stan Winston, who also did the creature design, and stars the always-reliable Lance Henriksen.  It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's still a good, solid horror flick.  You could do a lot worse.

It's on my top 15 halloween Movies.  Hopefully it will be posted soon smile

I think Pumpkinhead is great. The creature in the film looks terrific, there's a good storyline, and you can't go wrong with Lance Henrikson for a lead. He does a good job, and I feel that maybe quite a bit of his work goes somewhat under-appreciated.

Also, what really stands out for me is the witch. She has just creeped me out since I was a little kid, and still has about the same effect on me!

You really can't go wrong. If I were to compare it to a slasher flick it would be Nightmare on Elm Street. As it's more based on supernatural events and revenge, like the others said. It plays out somewhat like a slasher movie too, but it's definitely better than most IMO.

Lon stole my words...solid flick.  Very entertaining movie.  See it and let us know whacha think.

Great horror movie IMO. Love the story, the effects and the awesome swampy atmosphere.(especially at the witches house)

Just started re watching this not too bad so far.It is up on youtube if anyone wants to watch it.

Pumpkinhead is so happy people like his movie .... lol

http://gifsoup.com/view1/4178278/pumpkinhead-o.gif

DAMN.  Really enjoyed this movie.  I'm going to have to watch it again but the atmosphere was great, the story was also a ton better than I expected.  The special effects on Pumpkinhead are just another perfect example as to why the 80s rule.  I don't know how many 80s horror movies we've all seen but it is waaay too many.  And as each night goes by I keep finding gem's like this.

I mean how awesome is Pumpkinheads grave?  How awesome was the witch that summoned Pumpkinhead?  Is there a dull moment in this whole movie? The scene where you see Pumpkinhead walk past the window was somethin' special as well.  Simple, but so damn effective.  One of the scarier monsters of the 80s.

You all were pretty much spot on with everything you said about this flick

Oh and it seems Hatchet was highly influenced by this film, as well as many others of course.  Just something I kind of noticed.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-10-09 11:07:00)

I tried watching this a couple of years ago but couldn't get through it all. If i watch it again i will perhaps enjoy it more. That seems to be the outcome when i watch some movies twice, in that I suddenly really  them (as was the case with Evil Dead 1)

Movies are definitely meant to grow on you.  There is just so much that goes into a movie there is not anyway you can catch it all in one viewing.  That doesn't mean you have to like each movie but it always seems that movies I at least somewhat enjoy, get better with every watch.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-10-09 12:47:12)

Great halloween flick!

ExplorerPOD wrote:

Movies are definitely meant to grow on you.  There is just so much that goes into a movie there is not anyway you can catch it all in one viewing.  That doesn't mean you have to like each movie but it always seems that movies I at least somewhat enjoy, get better with every watch.

Or in some instance , some movies aged very badly and you wonder why you used to like the movie in the first place ?

Hey I'm a big fan of the original and I say WATCH it shit its way better than tons of shit that came out at the time and Henriksen made it for me. If it wasn't for him I would have thought of PumpkinHead as a low crapola flick but as it turned out I actually loved it.