Topic: Had some fun last yesterday

I watched the Blob 1988 mid afternoon.  I am of course a huge Chuck Russel fan(who isn't).  Nightmare on Elm Street 3 is one of the more interesting films of the 80s considering it was Chuck Russel and Frank Daranbont trying to make a name for themselves in the industry, and they happened to make one of the best Horror sequels ever.  I had never seen the Blob all the way through and pretty much loved every second.  Definitely the type of movie that gets better with every viewing.  My favorite part other than the brilliant special effects was probably when the lead actress hopped on Kevin Dillons bike and they rode the tunnel around the blob.

Later in the night I decided to download Behind the Mask:Leslie Vernon.  I had never really heard of this before yesterday.  Loved all the Slasher references and thought this was a pretty solid flick.  Also thought it was pretty cool how they tried to act like Jason, Michael Meyers, and Freddy were real people just like Leslie Vernon.  Very well written movie.

Then at about midnight I put on Invasion of the Body Snatchers(1978), which I also had never seen all the way through.  Holy shit.  I definitely had to turn the lights on after the ending to that movie.  One of the best Horror films of all time all the way around.

Re: Had some fun last yesterday

I'm not a huge fan of the Leslie Vernon but the other two, yeah, great flicks.  The Blob '88 and Body Snathers '78 are easily two of the best remakes out there, IMO.

I loved Leslie Vernon, and how I keep saying in previous threads, how enough people didn't support the sequel is a joke and we're on the fourth PA movie.

The difference is that the PA movies receive wide, national releases, while Leslie Vernon was pretty much STV, which means only a fraction of people saw it -- and that fraction wasn't large enough to justify a studio coughing up green for a sequel. 

If more people were aware the Vernon movie even existed, I'm sure it would have been successful enough (based on others' opinions of it, not mine lol ) to have easily secured the cabbage for a sequel.

For the record, I'm not saying the PA movies deserve all the scratch they're hauling in.  I've seen the first two and absolutely despised both of them.  I haven't, and won't, bother with any of the others.  But, there's no accounting for taste.  They cater to a wider audience, whereas Leslie Vernon was more geared toward the hardcore horror crowd who might appreciate the satire, and the hardcore horror crowd is a VERY small percentage of the overall movie-going audience.

I just have a huge gripe against PA in general, I won't say my thoughts but lets just say I'm not the biggest fan tongue

But yeah I know what you mean Lon, I just thought it would reach 450,000. A real shame it didn't.

Yeah, it's best not to get me started on the PA series, either.  I could spend days ripping those flicks apart. lol

The first PA movie was boring as all get out.
The 2nd PA movie had some nifty scenes (still not great)
Going to watch the 3rd PA movie sometime soon.  Y'all know me, I go where angels fear to tread.

We should make a thread about how awful PA is and we can all go complain and vent there.

Come on guys, lets do it! *shifts you all out the door*

^^
Feel free.

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

We should make a thread about how awful PA is and we can all go complain and vent there.

Well...pretty much every Thread where PA is brought up turns into one.  wink

Az - If you liked the first you really might like the third.  I loved the first, thought the second was ok, and really liked the third.  That said...if you hated the first and second...you will not like the third.

Lon I gotta give you credit.  So many people hate the first, and the second, then act amazed that they hated the third.  I just don't get why they keep seeing them?  At least you realized you don't like them and stopped seeing them.  Oh well...I sound like a broken record with this and will drop it.  smile

Back in topic...ExplorerPod - Sounds like you did have a great day!  I love The Blob remake.  Thought Leslie Vernon was great (one of the rare people that liked that AND PA I guess).  Elm St 3...haven't seen it in forever, but loved it as a kid, and Invasion is obviously a classic.

Nice!

Ghostseeker wrote:

Lon I gotta give you credit.  So many people hate the first, and the second, then act amazed that they hated the third.  I just don't get why they keep seeing them?  At least you realized you don't like them and stopped seeing them.

I attribute this to experience with watching horror movies and plain ol' logic.  I'll give any first sequel a fair shake; while I may not have liked a first film, maybe they fixed what I didn't like about it in the sequel, y'know?  If that sequel's good, then I'll watch another, until they stop being good.

But if they haven't corrected what I didn't like about that first film in the first sequel, it just makes sense to figure those things will also go unaddressed in future sequels as well.  Logically, I'd simply rather not waste time watching a movie which might prove me wrong, but which experience dictates most likely will not. lol

^^
And I do the opposite of Lon just to annoy him.  Plus I like pain.

Az - Ohhhh....I just reread your post and see you didn't like the first one.  Read it wrong the first time.  Yeah...you won't like the third.  Good thing you like the pain.  smile

All three are great movies IMO. I need to watch all of them again myself.