Topic: Hatchet II - is it any good?

Just wondering since I found it for DVD at the pawn shop downtown earlier today for just 3.99.

I've never seen Hatchet 1 so I dunno how to get into Hatchet II. Should I go try to hunt down Hatchet 1 first and watch it before getting into Hatchet II?

Re: Hatchet II - is it any good?

I would recommend watching #1 first. I own the first and think it's a fun/good movie. IMO #2 is not as good as the first, but that goes for most follow up movies.

definitely watch Hatchet 1 first.  It is an old school slasher...Gory and Cheesy.  Hatchet 2 was even more gory and over the top than the first one.  Danielle Harris is good in it and Kane Hodder has a long scene in it without the makeup smile

Oh and Hatchet 3 has already been filmed.  Hodder said it is even more violent and over the top than the first two...not sure how that's possible!

1 is awesome, 2 is shit. It may have been "more on gore", but it was far, far less on everything else. I don't mind Danielle, but she was horrible in this. Her "accent" was grating as shit. It took all I had, just to get through it.

Honestly I think they're both crap and should both be avoided.  But if you're going to watch one or the other, go with the first one; both of them may be turds but #1 is slightly less turdy than #2.  Which is actually quite appropriate, when you consider what the phrase "#2" is a euphemism for. big_smile

I gotta say...I didn't get the big deal about it and haven't seen pt.2

Pt. 1 just didn't do anything for me.

Hatchet II is a 2010 American slasher film written and directed by Adam Green. It was the Sequel of Hatchet Series. It was released unrated in the United States on October 1, 2010.

^^
Thank you Mr. IMDB.  lol

Neither is very good.  I liked #2 better just for Tony Todd.  YouTube has Hatchet 1 for a $2 rental.  Might be worth it since I haven't heard anyone say they went back to watch Hatchet even a 2nd time.

edit- @speed, that was just a little joke.  I hope you didn't get offended by the IMDB comment, but if so, I apologize.  I'm/we're just very used to everyone knowing about movies.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-10-11 03:40:17)

Yes.  Hatchet series is amazing!

I didn't like it at all.

After reading the various replies, and thinking on it a while, I have a feeling that the maker's were maybe trying to do an Evil Dead thing.  1st one pure horror, 2nd one more funny.   Of course this could be just my interpretation, but I found that #2 seemed to try and squeeze in some funny stuff.

Of course it failed, but it did make me think "is that was what they were trying for?"  Any thoughts on this?

I found that the humour even in the first one failed. Indeed its one of the reasons i was so disappointed with it after reading the comments on my DVD's front cover. The bad humour made it seem like a bad episode of Scooby Doo. If you think the humour in Part 2 was bad aza then it must be therefore REALLY bad. 2 bad i only have the disc of the first 1 and not the dvd case (since i have to move my DVD collection regularly in a CD folder/case) and therefore cant sell it. lol

"old school american horror" lol

first one was luke warm for me. The oldschool american horror did not resonate with me.

Well in my personal opinion, The 2 Hatchet movies are like the Feast movies. I kind of want to buy the DVDs and watch them to see what all the fuss is about but then I know better and I'd rather save my money not waste it on silly dumb stuff like Feast.

Even that 2001 Maniacs movie with Robert Englund. Sure it looks great and silly but do I really want to buy the DVD and watch the movie              and sit through the whole plot of the movie where the outsiders get killed in creative ways?

Not really. They sound great and stuff but...

urrutiap wrote:

Well in my personal opinion, The 2 Hatchet movies are like the Feast movies. I kind of want to buy the DVDs and watch them to see what all the fuss is about but then I know better and I'd rather save my money not waste it on silly dumb stuff like Feast.

Even that 2001 Maniacs movie with Robert Englund. Sure it looks great and silly but do I really want to buy the DVD and watch the movie              and sit through the whole plot of the movie where the outsiders get killed in creative ways?

Not really. They sound great and stuff but...

Feast. Now thats a movie that executes its humour elements effectively while harking back to fun and nasty creature flicks from yester year. I am of the opinion that it,rather than Hatchet deserves a cult following. The Feast sequels I have heard are absolutely terrible however.

LoudLon wrote:

Honestly I think they're both crap and should both be avoided.

I'd say listen to Lon, he knows what is going on! lol

@UTap- Feast is way better than the Hatchets.  (Can't say anything about Feast 2 since I have seen it.)  Since you didn't like Feast, I'd say you're safe in saving your money from Hatchet.

I loved First movie, I didn't like second, as i could not get used to Recast of the main lead,

azathoth wrote:

After reading the various replies, and thinking on it a while, I have a feeling that the maker's were maybe trying to do an Evil Dead thing.  1st one pure horror, 2nd one more funny.   Of course this could be just my interpretation, but I found that #2 seemed to try and squeeze in some funny stuff.

Of course it failed, but it did make me think "is that was what they were trying for?"  Any thoughts on this?

Personally I think it was more along the lines of "The first one did okay, now we have to cash-in and make a sequel.  What?  No story?  Fuck it, throw a lot of dialogue and some jokes in there, we've got ninety minutes to fill." lol

I didn't laugh at anything in the second flick.  I chuckled and laughed out loud once each in the first, though.  I giggled when Crowley ripped one victim's head apart at the jaw and laughed out loud at the very end, when Crowley does a death rattle and coughs blood into the guy's face.  I think if it had more humor like that, the movie would have worked a lot better.

As for Adam Green and his so-called "Old School American Horror" -- pardon my French, but fuck him.  Dude's got some balls to make that claim, especially when he's obviously referring to the Slasher films of the early 80s, which were only a minor though popular sub-genre.  When I think Old School American Horror I think of stuff like The Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, The Sentinel, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Evil Dead...not slasher movies.  And CERTAINLY not Hatchet.

I'm astonished at the hatred the first Hatchet film is receiving here. It's nothing to write home about but it's definitely a tongue-in-cheek fun gory throwback to eighties slashers and it has bewbz, goar and that chick out of My Name Is Earl so what more could you ask for? Originality or sense? They're for pussies. Hatchet part 1 is a guilty pleasure of mine, it has tits, blud and comedy. Hatchet 2 however completely missed the point of the original and simply relied on Danielle Harris to draw the fanboys in. It didn't work. Part 1 is a goofy, silly, sarcastic yet very effective homage to the eighties slasher genre. Part 2 tries to up the ante but fails on every level.
Hatchet - 8/10
Hatchet 2 - 4/10

^^
Hey now, everyone is entitled to their opinion.  No need to take it personally.

I LOVE both. But I'm a huge slasher fan and I have a soft spot for all slashers. If you're looking for a lot of blood and gore and nothing else then you'll enjoy both of them. BTW I prefer the Laid to Rest films over the Hatchet movies.

^
I don't believe I did. I was merely defending a film i hold dear. I'm always Mr. Congeniality on here and I NEVER attack other folks opinions. Hatchet is good fun and I will throw unripe banana's at you for saying otherwise you primate heathen swine!!! big_smile