Re: Hatchet II - is it any good?

^^
Yum, bananas! 

It's cool, we recently had someone go over the line by telling people they were stupid for either liking or not liking films he liked/disliked.  Just wanted to make sure it didn't get there.  Wanted you to know that as to why I made that post- I've never seen anything bad from you.

No worries Az, I'm a live and let live type of bloke and if my rants ever sound rabid then it's unintentional. I love to defend films as much as I slate them. I am English afterall. And very drunk LOL! I'd NEVER call anyone an idiot for having an opposing view on a film. That's why I love this site - everyone seems very respectful to contrary theorum. I'm also a member on Bloody-Disgusting.com and that place can get quite vile sometimes. This site is chill and fun and full of mad monkeys like you! lol

@Fulci-
Bro-fist! (you do know that's a good thing, right?)

No worries, I'm friends with several Brits/Euros and even the ever-drunken Demon.  I stopped by BloodyDisgutsting a time or few, and it seemed like a free-for-all.  The reason I like this site so much is that we/members self-police it so well.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-10-11 16:59:40)

Suspiria_89 wrote:

I LOVE both. But I'm a huge slasher fan and I have a soft spot for all slashers. If you're looking for a lot of blood and gore and nothing else then you'll enjoy both of them. BTW I prefer the Laid to Rest films over the Hatchet movies.

I agree with u there. Laid to rest is a slasher I did relatively enjoy. Midnight Movie is also a fun modern slasher i recommend any slasher fan check out. Now im not saying im an expert on slasher films and they certainly aint my fav sub genre but i liked Midnight Movie a lot. Hell why not, im just gonna list my fav slashers below i feel like it.

Friday Part 4
Midnight Movie
The Prowler
NOES 1
Bay of Blood
Tenenbrae

Lon calls BOTH films crap and tells someone they should avoid watching them when one is a clearly enjoyable film.  Then Fulcento comes in defending it with way less harsh words having a DISCUSSION and someone says "Hey now, everyone is entitled to their opinion." WHAT are you talking about Azatoth??

The number one rule on this site is everyone is entitled to their opinion.  When you tell someone to avoid a film, you are breaking that rule.  Lon, I give you a warning.

I've seen Lon warn people for almost nothing...I've also now seen him call a film crap when he knows very well a lot of people like the first Hatchet. 

Azatoth this is a discussion board, so let us discuss.  And tell Lon that calling a film Crap and saying nothing else about it is not a good way to discuss.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-10-12 12:24:38)

^^
Um, say "you should avoid this movie" IS an opinion.  It means he doesn't like it, and his advice is for people to not waste their time.

Yet, you're telling a mod what he should or should not say because you like the film.  That is not an opinion.  How "is it clear" that Lon has something personal against the film?  And you attack me, after Fulci and I resolved everything between us?  Have you become the arbitrator of discussions all of a sudden.

Suggestion- go to a dictionary and look up the word "opinion."  And you're sounding like someone that has been banned already.

I don't even like the film very much. People do though and I can see it's strong points.  I don't care that you resolved it, it should have never happened. I've been warned before for virtually no reason and I've never said something like "honestly a film is a crap and should be avoided."  Hatchet one is a pretty well received film.

Telling someone to avoid a film is not an opinion.  Saying the movie is crap is an opinion.  Telling someone to avoid it is telling someone to do something.  Look up the definition yourself man.  You can go around warning people but when you get warned you can't take it?

It really bugged me to see you jump on Fulcento and just ignore the fact that Lon was the one who made the comment with nothing to back it up.  Fulcento did what you are supposed to do on a message board and he discussed the film.  I don't care that you resolved it, it's pretty silly it came to that in the first place...isn't it? This is a discussion board and Fulcento was discussing, as long as yo realize that, I am sorry for intruding.

Don't take it personal I don't know anything about you.  Just being member police just like you.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-10-12 12:36:08)

^^
And it is fine that many people like the film.  I don't like many films most others like.  So what does that mean?

Lon said he didn't like the film.  You just did the same.  What's the difference?

edit-
I see you have edited your post.  So I had to adjust mine.

Is telling someone to avoid a bad restaurant an opinion?
As for Fulci, I made a mistake and worked it out with him.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-10-12 12:38:19)

saying a restaurant is bad is an opinion.  Telling someone to avoid a restaurant is telling someone to do something.

I just saw you said you made a mistake and everything is cool.  My fault.  I made a mistake for jumping on you because it seems you realized it already....

I do feel like telling someone to avoid a film is unbelievably wrong though.  More so than getting mad at someone for not having the same opinion about a film.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-10-12 12:45:20)

So can we call it a closed subject now?

Yea closed.  I was wrong for getting at you.  It is weird though...I'm cautious to say things like This movie is crap on this site.  I mean that is literally all Lon said.  "This film is crap and should be avoided."  I would never EVER say something like that on this site because I worry about getting warned.  Some people really like this movie and most of them do not like seeing the mod of a site call it CRAP.  I guess maybe we are allowed to be a little more harsh than I thought...

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-10-12 12:53:49)

I also got a tad harsh, so I apologize.

We're allowed to calls movies "crap" and "to avoid them."  The things we're not allowed to do is rip into people.  If someone gets out of line, we just report it to the mods, or we try to work it out on our own, like Fulci and I did.

You said said something about "opinions being important" on this site (paraphrasing).
The 1st rule of HM is Respect, as in how we respect each other.  Just like we hashed things out right now.  These kinds of "fights" happen often, but most get resolved with a few exchanges between the parties so they come to a common understanding.

Az & Explorer, the above row has made for fascinating reading. I must admit I was taken aback by the cheeky monkey man's rather uncalled for and kneejerk response to a rather innocuous comment I made about Hatchet part 1 but it was resolved as quickly as it started so there's no bad blood.
And Explorer you make some salient points, respect is crucial but not at the expense of suppressing free speech. For example you and I have vastly different opinions on The Cabin in the Woods, we both left lengthy essays on the film, I criticising it and you promoting it but we never fell out.
@Az, and I mean this in the most obliging way but you did overreact and misconstrue my post about Hatchet.
Anyway, with that being said I propose we all have a massive bro-hug, eat some banana's, watch Cabin in the Woods and then disco dance all night long. I tend to find that disco music cures all of lifes ills!

Cumon lads - let's boogie! big_smile

haha nothing but love for the both of ya...

I still think it is silly to tell someone to avoid a film.  That is like deciding their opinion for them, which to me seems worst than saying someones opinion is wrong.

But it's all good!!

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-10-12 13:46:56)

^^
Yes, I did over-react.  I apologize again.  No excuse.  I'm just glad we got it straightened out.  I would hate to push away a good member for a dumb mistake on my part.

As for Cabin in the Woods, Saturday the 27th at 6PM (US Eastern time), and as for the boogie...

http://parkin11.wikis.birmingham.k12.mi.us/file/view/dancing_monkey.gif/275882054/220x160/dancing_monkey.gif

(Not sure if that is disco, but, eh!  lol  )

Who else keeps accidently rolling over the Tales From the Crypt banner?  Cryptkeeper keeps popping up on my screen and since Tales From the Crypt is basically my favorite show on earth, I'm cool with it.

It is about time someone picked this show back up.  Unfortunately I don't have Fearnet, but I do have all the seasons on DVD.

^^
Yeah, I've complained about the rollover myself.  Move a little bit over the "Horror Forum" button and suddenly I have a 1/2 screen video playing.  Good show, though I didn't know it was on Fearnet.  So thanks for pointing that out, since there are a lot of epis I haven't seen!
big_smile

Yea man.  It seems a lot of people don't quite realize how great the show is.  Everyone remembers when it was shown on HBO, but this show was the real deal.  Director's like Zemeckis, Walter Hill, Richard Donner, Tom Holland, William Friedkin.  The list goes on and on.  Good actors in pretty much every episode.  Not every episode is great but out of the six seasons there are 20 plus very good episodes.

^^
I know.  I just haven't got the opportunity to watch them!  I can't fork out the cash to buy 'em, but now that you let me know they're on FearNet, I can catch up!

Bro-fist!

ExplorerPOD wrote:

Lon calls BOTH films crap and tells someone they should avoid watching them when one is a clearly enjoyable film.

In your opinion.  Not in mine.

Then Fulcento comes in defending it with way less harsh words having a DISCUSSION and someone says "Hey now, everyone is entitled to their opinion." WHAT are you talking about Azatoth??

This was already settled between Az and Fulc.  Why even bring it up?  It was a disagreement which was settled amicably.  That's how disagreements are SUPPOSED to be handled, not like you're doing with this post.

The number one rule on this site is everyone is entitled to their opinion.  When you tell someone to avoid a film, you are breaking that rule.  Lon, I give you a warning.

I was asked for my opinion.  I gave it.  How is that breaking a rule?  Oh, and to clarify You don't give warnings here. 

I've seen Lon warn people for almost nothing...

Your opinion.  Not the opinion of the other mods, who I inform every time I give someone a warning so that we ALL know who to watch out for, and who have to date backed me on every single warning I've given.  Do you know why they've backed me?  Because in each case, the person I've warned has deserved it.

I've also now seen him call a film crap when he knows very well a lot of people like the first Hatchet.

I don't base my opinion on how many other people like a particular thing.  I base my opinion on how much I like a particular thing.  If you want to run with the crowd, knock yourself out.  I'd rather think for myself.

Azatoth this is a discussion board, so let us discuss.  And tell Lon that calling a film Crap and saying nothing else about it is not a good way to discuss.

The OP asked for opinions.  I gave him  mine.  And you don't need to ask Azzie to tell me anything.  I'm right here.  Tell me yourself, and don't go dragging someone else into it if YOU have a problem with ME.

As for the rest of your silliness, when asked for my opinion, I give it.  And I clarify that it is only MY OPINION, and I do not attempt to pass it off as fact.  So next time you're going to mouth off at me, know what you're talking about.

Oh, and since I forgot to say this when you first joined up -- welcome back, PrinceofDarkness. wink

Back to topic.

^^
Oh, shit just got real.