Topic: Best Horror Film Since 2000?

So many Genre-bending, innovative films to choose from. What's your favorite?

Re: Best Horror Film Since 2000?

Damn only if i could bring up my Morguespace and see what films ive rated 10/10.

On my initial thoughts Id say Hobo With A Shotgun.

For me it has to be the Descent. It really broke a lot of genre cliches by having an all female cast. And not a bunch of whining ninnies, but real bad asses intelligently trying to survive in a messed up situation. Also the camera work and setting made for an extremely claustrophobic feel unrivaled by any other movie. I remember seeing it for the first time in theatres and I had decided to smoke a J before entering, man I was scared. And I'm never scared during horror movies, I actually had to take a break and get a drink I was feeling so claustrophobic. The CHUDs at the end were pretty entertaining, but I feel it's the first half that really makes the film.

Only one? , There few movies I gave 10 out 10 for it as to be REC, Then Ju-on-The Grudge 1 and 2 and then Final Destination 1 and 5,

My favorite since the 2000s is a close one.  I love Repo! The Genetic Opera and Trick R Treat, but I would ultimately have to choose El Orfanato aka The Orphanage

I really enjoyed the Hills Have Eyes remake, the first one. I think I may have to say Martyrs though.

Zombieland.

Lots of 'em:

-The Hills Have Eyes
-Haute Tension
-Inside
-Piranha 3D
-Halloween
-Shaun of The Dead
-Dawn of The Dead
-The Ring
-Final Destination (whole series except for FD 4 which sucked so bad)
-Saw
-The Texas Chainsaw Masscacre
-Identity
-28 Days/Weeks Later
-The House Of The Devil made my day
-Battle Royale

I wanna add The Innkeepers to my list, too

Impossible to pick one. So I'll do my best of what stood out for me in a new millennium:

Martyrs
The Ring
I saw The Devil
1st The Hills Have Eyes
1st Wrong Turn
Inside
Voice (part of the Whispering Corridors franchise). Very lavish and beautiful korean suspence/drama with elements of horror.. The story is told so convincingly, that I start to believe thats exactly what happens to us in the first few days of a ghosthood after we die. Powerful stuff.

'Insidious' would be my choice for best all-around horror flick. Not that there weren't many other good flicks like 'Splinter' and 'High Tension', but I felt that 'Insidious' had great pacing and was perfectly cast and directed.

Its a toss up between

Martyrs
Hobo With A Shotgun
I Saw The Devil
The Orphanage
Dread
The Devils Backbone
The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
Eden Lake
American Mary

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-10-26 20:41:00)

Gardenofstone10 wrote:

My favorite since the 2000s is a close one.  I love Repo! The Genetic Opera and Trick R Treat, but I would ultimately have to choose El Orfanato aka The Orphanage

Good call.

These last 12 years haven't been my favorite.  I am not huge on serious horror unless it is really good.  Went to Descent in theaters and thought it was very, very suspenseful, but it wouldn't be on my list.  The Ring, Final Destination, Saw are just nothing special to me.  Hills Have Eyes remake and Wrong Turn.  I still can't get excited though I do enjoy them.  Trick R Treat is definitely great.

My list is something like

Grindhouse
Cabin in the Woods
28 Days Later
Scream 4

I would say the best horror film since 2000 is either Grindhouse or Cabin in the Woods.

The Descent.

Randy wrote:

'Insidious' would be my choice for best all-around horror flick. Not that there weren't many other good flicks like 'Splinter' and 'High Tension', but I felt that 'Insidious' had great pacing and was perfectly cast and directed.

Good call on Splinter.

For me it's down to five. Not in any order.

The Ring (2002)
The Descent (2005)
The Cabin in the Woods (2011)
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006)
Saw (2004)

The Devils Rejects
Hobo with a Shotgun
Halloween 2007
Descent
Insidious
Paranormal Activity
Trick R Treat
Let The Right One In
Hatchet
Saw

Those would be my top ten.

Martyrs
The Devils Rejects
Frontier(s)
Dawn of The Dead

The Descent
El Orfanato
Insidious

Those are the top 3 that come to mind straight away

The Devil's Rejects and Cabin in the woods are the first two I thought of.

There hasn't been a great many new movies since '00 that I've really been into; in fact with each new year of the millenium I find myself less and less interested in what's passing as "horror."  But, there have been a few winners, IMO:

The Devil's Rejects
Inside
Haute Tension
Frontiere(s)
American Psycho
House of the Devil
Saw
The Host

I know there are a few more, but they're not coming to me at the moment, so I'm sure I'll come back to this.

American Psycho
The Descent
Session 9
Let the right one in