Re: 31 Days of Horror

I'll have the new posts up tomorrow. I've come down with something that is absolutely killing my throat and chest. I'll post em back to back to back so you can get a lot of reading in.
-Gabe

Unfortunately I'm so far behind that I can't make up the days I missed. So I'll be starting from today.

October 10th: Resident Evil Nostalgia
First memories that I had of Resident Evil was the demo for part 2 (the demo that was different than the final product). It wasn't until later that I would play the game again and was terrified. I didn't play the first game until later on but I remember a similar experience.
But what makes the game series relevant today is how they have evolved. There aren't many creepy games out right now (that being said Portal2 is eerie) but upon getting the new Resident Evil that old feeling came back.
It wouldn't be October without one of these games and it didn't let me down. I came in expecting a lot of action but I was greeted with a blend. A lot of the game has reminded me of The Walking Dead and I am ok with that. So, today I had zombie horror on the brain and why not? For me, it started with Resident Evil games before moving on to Romero films and the ever funny Return of the Living Dead. Imagining the being the survivor in the films or games is half of the fun. During the month of the October this survivor fantasy must double because today in class I was thinking of the Dawn of the Dead scenario. Do you want to be the macho Peter or Roger character? Or do you want to be the arguing couple (I know they're more than that) that learn to grow in the apocalypse?
Of course you want to be the gun toting-cowboy-badass-boom-headshot guys that save the day. One goes out tragically and the other survives. I think it's for that reason that we love the Resident Evil games. We play these roles and even if they're not scary, we still are living the survivor horror fantasy. We have that opportunity to be the guy who saves the day, takes a beating doing it, and looks like the hero at the end of the day. And during the month of October I think we all wish to be that.

that was a rad read ty for sharing this with us

I actually just DL'ed the first four RE games last week.  I loved the first two especially.  Back in the day I'd play while my then-girlfriend walked me through with the official Game Book.  We'd spend entire weekends curled up doing that (and other things...heh). 

I haven't tried playing them since DLing them, though.  I'm sure it's going to take some getting used to, having to use keyboard controls.

You make a good observation, Mr. B. That fantasy role-playing aspect is what makes those games so much fun. Also, excellent choice of game/movies!

In truth, I'm not a big gamer - but I love RE 4. So much friggin' fun (for the exact reasons you made in your article).
Return of the Living Dead is a horror film that you just can't go without watching at least once a year. Especially near Halloween time. It's just a great movie with a good blend of laughs, screams, and punk rock! As for Dawn of the Dead, no need for much elaboration. A standard must-see for this time of year, like JC's Halloween, IMO.

Thanks for the comments guys. The staples of halloween are so diverse between you guys it's good to see some common ground too big_smile

The week of Halloween time, I'm gonna be doing some day marathons of horror movie  series

maybe something like October 25th an all day Friday the 13th 1 through 7 since I dont have the Deluxe Edition DVD for Jason Goes to Hanhattan.

then a supernatural day marathon that consistss of Exorcist and Bless the Child and whatever else.

Then October 30th is free for all day and Im going to include the silly Jack Frost movie along witih Freaked which I recorded them off of HBO back in the mid late 1990s. Still have those two movies recorded on a VHS blank recording tape too

October 12th: The Thing
The 20th anniversary of The Thing was in 2002 and I remember clearly the uproar on it. A video game based off of the plot was coming out and Sci-Fi (not that SyFy bullshit) was playing the movie uncut in honor of it. I was 12 and had no idea what made the movie so great but I would soon find out.
To prepare for the assault on my mind I watched the original version of The Thing. The cold war feelings throughout the movie were apparent and really got me thinking about the power of the movie. Would the remake have that same feeling?
Short answer yes, but there was something richer in the celluloid. What makes The Thing a necessary addition to 31 days of horror is simple, it's the fear. The fear the original author intended, the fear of the original film and then in the early 80s when people thought the world was going to explode, we had to worry about "The Thing."
The relevance in 2002? Post 9/11 fears were all about. But on the level of just watching the film, the notion that any character could be a thing (and when you see the thing it's one of the creepiest moments in film) really unnerves you. I was 12 the first time I saw it and I think that was when my trust issues really started to sink in.
At least I don't think people could be one of those things now.

(The next few entries will be shorter than the others. Busy Panda is busy.)

October 13th:  28 Days Later
The movie that helped bring back the zombie in the 2000s. Having a re-watch of this and a first viewing of the sequel really showed me where the world of the zombie was going.
The renewed interest in the early 2000s for the zombie has stuck and hopefully won't die out like it seemed to for a decade. What we saw with 28 Days Later... was a faster paced enemy with even a higher risk for protagonists to be infected.
But what the movie does for us even more than creating a greater sense of urgency is destroy all the hope in we feel in a movie. Day of the Dead really destroyed the sense of hope we felt watching a film but, in a greater amount, 28 Days Later... showed us just how destructive people get in tense situations.
It also should be noted that the score is one of the best in modern horror. I'm a huge fan of the rush a movie gives when all the notes of mise-en-scène and also the editing works. 28 Days Later... is no exception. It drives and pushes with its score. And visually it is terrifying.

Whenever I watch 28 Days Later and see Cillian Murphy I can't help but think "Why aren't you wearing your Scarecrow mask and fighting Batman?!?!?".

Tripod wrote:

Whenever I watch 28 Days Later and see Cillian Murphy I can't help but think "Why aren't you wearing your Scarecrow mask and fighting Batman?!?!?".

I guess you can say, he got death by exile. YEEEAHHHHH

Danny Boyle did a great job with that movie, Gabe, but has done such crap since.  He needs to go back to horror roots and just hit another one out of the park like 28 days later!

But...but...but they're not zombies... hmm

While no they are just "infected" I'm going to lump them in for now. That being said they could be if you REEEAAAALLLLLLY believe.

Technically, yeah, they're not zombies. It's what they most resemble though, and in my zombie DVD collection, 28 Days Later (and Weeks) is lumped in with all the rest.

So did we all get watch as many horrors as possible! 

Angst (1983/I) 6/10
Angel Heart (1987) 7 out of 10
Hellraiser (1987)  9/10
Alone with Her (2006) 4/10
The Cabin in the Woods (2011) 7/10
Apollo 18 (2011) 5/10
Grave Encounters 2 (2012) 2/10
Sinister (2012) 5/10
Body Melt (1993) 0/10
Boy Eats Girl (2005) 8/10
Abominable (2006) 6/10
Altitude (2010) 5/10
Body Parts (1991) 7/10
Final Destination 5 (2011) 9/10
Final Destination (2000) 9/10
Final Destination 2 (2003) 9/10
The Thing (2011) 7/10
Inside (2007) 9/10
Dolls (1987) 8/10
Paranormal Activity 4 (2012) 4/10
ChromeSkull: Laid to Rest 2 (2011) 5/10
Sadako 3D (2012) 3/10
Attack the Block (2011) 5/10
Wilderness (2006) 7/10
Into the Mirror (2003) 5/10
Something Evil (1972) 5/10
TerrorVision (1986) 5/10
The Return of the Living Dead (1985) 5/10
Piranha (1978) 7/10
The Video Dead (1987) 5/10
Scarecrows (1988) 5/10
Colour from the Dark (2008) 7/10
Lady in White (1988) 7/10
From Beyond 7/10

The yesterday
The Exorcist (1973) 9/10
The Omen (1976) 10/10
The Entity (1982) 10/10
Hellraiser 2 8/10

Also I saw Antichrist (2009) early in month , still not sure what to rate it.

Last edited by BASSI (2012-11-01 05:54:34)

BASSI wrote:

Also I saw Antichrist (2009) early in month , still not sure what to rate it.

Yeah, that was an odd one.  I sometimes need to let a movie sink in for a bit and then see what I thought of it, which is what I had to do with this one.  After I did, it became clear to me I didn't like it much at all.