Topic: What's good about Portland, Maine

I gotta do a test Monday, we must find a not too famous city to describe it's good things for like... tourism. I want to ask you people the traits of Portland, Maine. Thanks if you will help. (also the reason I choosed this city was because it was Stephen King's hometown)

Re: What's good about Portland, Maine

My wife grew up in Bremen, Maine. According to my wife; it's famous for it's seaport and was used for smuggling in booze during the prohibition. The city has burned down 4X.  Their motto now is  " we will rise from the ashes."  She pretty sure that it's also where the famous poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was born?? The original B&M Baked Beans factory is there. Winslow Homer the artist has a studio there. Portland was originally the state capitol, before being changed to Augusta.

That's all she could come up with for now. GL!

Last edited by Underdog (2012-10-13 13:49:50)

Good lobster.  Have whale watching trips.  I think it was the setting for Shutter Island (mainland part).  And that's all I know.

Here is their tourist/vistor's site.

And a history site.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-10-13 13:22:37)

which adjectives among these would you guys use to describe it?:

cosmoplitan, crowded, exciting, historical, industrial, noisy, ugly, old-fashioned, peaceful, popular with tourists, romantic.

Maybe...peaceful and romantic??

Sick, as in:

"I'm sick of hearing about Portland, Maine"

... lol

Yeah never thought I could succeed the test like today.