Topic: The Walking Dead (Season 3)

Six more days...

Re: The Walking Dead (Season 3)

Finally...

Any idea on that other show we like, about the Kentucky drug runners, since I can't remember its name?  lol

Justified? lol  I think it comes back around in January or February of next year.

Also coming back this Sunday after The Walking Dead, however, are Talking Dead and season 2 of Comic Book Men.

Thanks bud, I totally blanked out on Justified.  I like Comic Book Men, too.

Pretty pumped that The Walking Dead is less than a week away. It's by far my fav t.v. show these days.

Watched a few episodes of Comic Book Men on Netflix yesterday. Damn good show!

Wow.  The season premiere aired last night and no one has posted about it yet?

I am really interested in how they deal with the prison in season three, I'd love if the stuff that happened in the comics happened in the show. But as I keep saying, I think it's too gruesome for TV - or else they beat around the bush with it.

SPOILERS

Well they did cut off someones leg, that people thought wouldn't have been done since the original character died. I wonder if they will go as far as show a regular person eating it?

I don't see how you can show people killing zombies, but not go much further. I think they will push buttons, and as the crowd grows the media will start taking shots at it. So when that time comes, then the true test will be made.

ALSO anyone watch the re-run marathon? In the episode where they show the bodies completely burned up in a pile, they edited it out. It showed Rick looking at it really FAST and then it cut away to Shane. There was no pan over the pile....

Fucking belting episode, it almost felt like the writers admitted that Season 2 was an unmitigated disaster and pressed the reset button. Essentially starting the series over with episode 1 of series 3. No more Rick & Shane vying for alpha male status, no more Lori whinging about being preggers and a nice lack of reshaping the new group dynamic. All that shit is boring.

The premiere was full of cranial impalements, face stabbings and action, at times it felt more like an Olaf Ittenbach splatter film than an episode of TV drama. So many pointy weapons were shoved into peoples mushes it became quite dizzying at times! After the dismal soap opera feel of series 2 this appeared to start from scratch and deliver the decapitations and gory fx by the bucketload. YAY! GORE!! Never a dull moment. Really looking forward to next weeks episode.

I agree entirely with you Fulcento except for one thing, Lori. She was still whining and still boring, the only character I felt was that way. Everyone else changed and got more exciting (even maggie and Glen were more exciting) but Lori was still being an annoying whiny brat.....

I think Rick not letting her take him down was great, it was like you said, them saying last season is over here is the new dynamics. Lori - "Wah lets be boring!" Rick -"Screw that, we did it for an entire season, we are being badasses now!" lol

Man, it amazes me how so many people disliked the second season.  I thought it was even better than the first season, which itself was fantastic television.  I liked that season 2 took its time, I like how it focused on the drama, and the conflicts between the characters. 

This show would grow old really quick if it was about nothing but splatter and bloodshed.  There's enough horror out there like that.  We need genre stuff which focuses more on character and storytelling. 

I hope this new season doesn't just ignore the drama in favor of appeasing the zombie/splatter fanboys who did nothing but bitch about last season.  If you want horror for the attention-span deprived, there's always American Horror Story. lol

LoudLon wrote:

Man, it amazes me how so many people disliked the second season.  I thought it was even better than the first season, which itself was fantastic television.  I liked that season 2 took its time, I like how it focused on the drama, and the conflicts between the characters. 

This show would grow old really quick if it was about nothing but splatter and bloodshed.  There's enough horror out there like that.  We need genre stuff which focuses more on character and storytelling. 

I hope this new season doesn't just ignore the drama in favor of appeasing the zombie/splatter fanboys who did nothing but bitch about last season.  If you want horror for the attention-span deprived, there's always American Horror Story. lol

I didn't hate season 2, but season 1 was much more exciting. Season 1 had all the drama between characters, but had other aspects as well. They needed a place to stay, never felt secure, never got along, and something always went wrong. Even the CDC they were like "oh man we are so safe!" then it blew up lol

In season 2 I felt they were just too "secure" with the farm. They had things they needed, didn't really feel in danger a lot, not a lot of "outside" issues, just group problems. IT was like watching a soap opera with zombies mixed in.

I think its much more exciting when they don't have enough food or need to do something so small, but it turns into a massive task because someone could die doing it. Season 3 is returning to that, and its great.

It's available free online right now.
http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/v … lking-dead

And man, what a great start. Can't wait to see more, was waiting for that like crazy. YAY it's back, I missed you. smile

I want to address both BrainDamageFilms and LoudLon within this one post as you both made excellent points...

Firstly, I may be be biased as no British program would ever show the amount of grue that went on in this episode, as I originally said, it felt like a Romero film at times and I love the abandonment that American TV has. The gore in Walking Dead (and especially this episode) is entirely what prevented Dead Set from being a cult classic. We tend to skip on the sauce but fuck me! I wasn't expecting such a bloodbath!!! Right from the get-go there was zombies having there eyeballs stabbed left, right and centre! I loved it. Yeah, Lon, I'm not expecting every episode to be as reckless as this and, as they settle into their prison environment and off the undead inmates things will slow down but for me tis was the most gruesome, most exciting episode of The Walking Dead yet. We've had quite enough lamentable character development episodes on the farm. It's time for some fun and the premiere delivered in spades (quite literally at one point!!!)

What an opening sequence that was, gory, funny, entertaining, zombie action up the wazoo! Plus the old Dawn of the Dead style set up. Dawn had a mall, these lot have a prison, same thing only slightly less fun and no JC Penny!. If this franchise is gonna run and run and run then here's hoping that season 3 is the gory action season cos this episode was fucking superb. I loved it. Pleeeeease give us more eps like this.

Yeah Brain, Lori is still a moody bitch but even she seemed quite content throughout the episode. As soon as they discovered the prison a bond formed between all of them and they finally began working as a team. None of the miserable group-think psychology, just plain old fighting to survive. Roll on episode 2!

OKay so I just had a dumb moment.  I'm watching the DVR of season 3 opener right now and they're talking about how Shane died and I"m like "hold up, Shane isn't dead".  Then I realized I only saw the first half of season 2 haha.  Silly me

We've talked about this quite a bit but my opinion...

Thought season one was okay.  I like horror so I watched it, but didn't do much for me.  Actually a couple things I found so dumb I almost quit watching it.

Found the first half of season two boring.  NOT cuz of lack of gore and killing though.  I just wasn't very interested.  I actually like slow builds and character development, but first half of season two just didn't do it for me. 

Then, the second half, with Shane (still my fave character, and still argue you'd want him there helping when it hits the fan) and all that conflict...man, show moved into my favorite show and it just kept on going.  That scene in the bar with Rick and those two dudes...some of the best tv I have ever seen.  Intense.   

So, season three...yeah opened up and was gory.  Cool.  However, they will need conflict to keep the show interesting.  I never read the comics, so I don't know what it will be or if I'll like it as much as the second half of last season...but I would guess they'll create some good tension somewhere.

Anyway...good opinions here from people that dig the show.  smile

I wasn`t blown away by the first season, but I liked it well enough. At least I was getting a steady feed of gore and zombie killing on my TV. But even then I had some complaints with some of the characters (mainly Andrea). Then second season started and the characters actually got dumber, the whole scene Glenn down the well was laughably stupid, and my favourite character, Daryl, was oddly absent. Luckily by the second half the series really picked up. Andrea actually started to become a badass, which was cool and they finally had the necessary head to head of Shane and Rick, the pissing contest was getting old.

Just watched the first episode of season 3, pretty damn good. Rick`s still lame as ever, Andrea seemingly useless again, but at least there`s tons of Zombie killing and somebodies leg got maimed BAD.

Consider the seasons as the progression in a book, or even a movie.  You start off with the basis, in this case in media res.  Once you've established the situation, who's involved, you move onto the character development bit (Season 2).  I liken Season 3, Episode 1 to page 60 of a movie script.  That's the big boom moment.  If it goes into a Season 4, then it'll probably hit the denouement phase.  If it goes past that, then just call me a stoopid monkey.

Or I could be looking way too much into this. lol

Last edited by azathoth (2012-10-20 05:06:57)

I have my fingers crossed that they take the most horrific points from the comic and get them in the show. They DID kill off Shane, now I hope the prison is....well that would be spoilers, let me just say it involves Rick, some new characters that show up, Laurie it would take a season to get it all out there.  I....sniff.....still miss Dale....

azathoth wrote:

Consider the seasons as the progression in a book, or even a movie.  You start off with the basis, in this case in media res.  Once you've established the situation, who's involved, you move onto the character development bit (Season 2).  I liken Season 3, Episode 1 to page 60 of a movie script.  That's the big boom moment.  If it goes into a Season 4, then it'll probably hit the denouement phase.  If it goes past that, then just call me a stoopid monkey.

I hope that's true, but I doubt it's planned like that. Most series follow that progression each season. So that when they get cancelled there's still some sorta resolution. And even if that were the case (say to think of it as a one huge book or movie) it still has some severe pacing problems. I still enjoy watching the series, I just think it could have been done even better.

azathoth wrote:

Heheh, it's always good to rant Az. It's what seperates us from the cudmunchers and, in your case, the banana peelers!!!

However... and... dum dum dum... drumroll please... I have to disagree, it's a nifty angle but I can see The Walking Dead running for donkey's years. If we're to assume that season 2 was the middle then your analogy is fitting but the makers are gonna milk thiis cash cow dry and that could take upto seven or even ten seasons.

^^
Yeah, I have to admit that I didn't/don't seeing it going beyond Season 4.  Not because it's bad, just that interest would fall off in the general viewing audience.

I dunno why, that comparison I made just hopped into my head while reading the other comments.  It's cool to disagree, or this would be a very boring place.

Ghostseeker wrote:

We've talked about this quite a bit but my opinion...

Thought season one was okay.  I like horror so I watched it, but didn't do much for me.  Actually a couple things I found so dumb I almost quit watching it.

Found the first half of season two boring.  NOT cuz of lack of gore and killing though.  I just wasn't very interested.  I actually like slow builds and character development, but first half of season two just didn't do it for me. 

Then, the second half, with Shane (still my fave character, and still argue you'd want him there helping when it hits the fan) and all that conflict...man, show moved into my favorite show and it just kept on going.  That scene in the bar with Rick and those two dudes...some of the best tv I have ever seen.  Intense.   

So, season three...yeah opened up and was gory.  Cool.  However, they will need conflict to keep the show interesting.  I never read the comics, so I don't know what it will be or if I'll like it as much as the second half of last season...but I would guess they'll create some good tension somewhere.

Anyway...good opinions here from people that dig the show.  smile

I think there is going to be plenty of intensity this season, even without Shane. There are a bunch of new characters we will be meeting like the governor who I imagine will create even more conflict than we seen last season and conflict can create tension and action. I think this season will be a win for everyone and we will see a good ms of character development and action.

Personally, I've been a fan since the first episode. I believe they should let the story develop based
Anthe charters and the situation and not force things. When tension and action parts are forced its obvious and can ruin a good story.

ChainSaW80 wrote:

Personally, I've been a fan since the first episode. I believe they should let the story develop based
Anthe charters and the situation and not force things. When tension and action parts are forced its obvious and can ruin a good story.

Ditto, and word.

Theli wrote:

Just watched the first episode of season 3, pretty damn good. Rick`s still lame as ever, Andrea seemingly useless again, but at least there`s tons of Zombie killing and somebodies leg got maimed BAD.

This made me laugh.  big_smile

I was in the Shane camp last season and thought Rick was lame...but he won me over in the bar.  Now...I think he's fine but don't get overly excited about him. 

I realized how odd all that sounded!  big_smile