Topic: Snapping Noises Trailer - By Vamp_Slayer

Hey all, so I said I would post the trailer to the short film that I made so here it is. I have submitted it the festival that I originally created it for and I will let you know if it gets in! If not then I will likely just post the whole thing online later on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU4zLROd … e=youtu.be

Re: Snapping Noises Trailer - By Vamp_Slayer

I liked and commented (placebobsh).  Looks amazing.  Looks like amazing production quality, too.  I can't wait to see the full thing

Thank you so much man, we all worked really hard on it! I'm glad you really liked it! Hopefully I will hear back from the theater soon to see if it got in!

Oooh, very cool, Vamp! Props to you & the gang for putting together something that looks like it's gonna be cool.

The trailer was well done, by the way. I dig the swift turn right in the middle from light to dark. Good stuff. smile

I'm going to be honest, I won't tell you I love it or pretend I do because you're an awesome person on the forums - I'm just going to tell you what I thought after watching the trailer.

I just don't get it, and for me personally it's the Delilah character. The actress (no offense to her) is just very bad. And when we're forced to stick with a main character for the entire movie (I'm guessing she is the main character) I want to like him/her. And the acting to be good, because if it isn't then the whole movie just falls apart (for me). From the little we see here, I think the premise seems okay (it reminds me of American Psycho for some reason). But the acting...yeah. I'm sure you know this, that the trailer is suppose to grip the viewer and want them to see more but it just didn't do much for me.

I hope I didn't offend you with my opinion, I just wanted to be honest. smile

Because of that thing I fell off my chair. Woah.
You're gonna be a star like this girl will definitely become one.
What an amazing actress you've found out.
You got Scav's take on her, now is mine.
I enjoy her expressions.
And the feeling in this is wild.
Great atmosphere.
I'll be waiting impatiently for the finished product.

Best luck for the festival thingy.

And now I get up and give you a standing ovation. lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2012-10-18 16:58:23)

I can appreciate that, but I also have to disagree that she is bad. Not just because it's mine but I truly felt she brought the character out the way I had only hoped for. This was a no budget production other than the camera and these are actually just people I knew and they didn't get paid (no one got paid lol me either) to do this. But not everyone will like the same things, right? I expect people to not care or to dislike it that's just how movies work so I am not offended (of course it obviously feels better to get positive feedback!).
Having said that, I think you also don't really know how much work goes into the process and I am not trying to offend you now.
But like I said movies are completely subjective and not everyone will be interested, it's just how it goes, and thats that, so there are no hard feelings at all.

Last edited by Vamp_Slayer (2013-03-28 10:58:45)

Btw thank you so much creature and kxnPunk, I appreciate your deeper thougths beyond "yay good"!

^ I just gave you my honest opinion, I don't need talking down to. Wouldn't you rather me tell you how I really feel about it than lie and tell you it whipped me off my feet?

Everyone bar me seemed to really like the trailer anyway. Maybe when I watch the full thing I'll like it more.

I'm sorry, I don't want you to feel that way, but no reason to get like this. I explaiend myself maturely. I'm not trying to talk down to you I'm just expressing my feelings as well.

And you're right it's not the full thing, and I really don't want this to be a big deal. But even if you didn't like the full thing either like I said 2 times already people enjoy different things, and this is how movies work, some like it, some don't, doesn't mean I can't defend it.

I'm really not trying to cause tension, I hope you understand.

Last edited by Vamp_Slayer (2012-10-18 17:30:37)

Having no previous knowledge about what kind of movie this was, I was sitting here watching the trailer thinking, "Cool, an indie love triangle flick," which are movies I'm a fan of.  Then the tone shifts halfway through, and it completely caught me off-guard.  I was like, "Wuh-oh!"

Brass tacks: an effective, intriguing trailer.  Nicely done, Vamp. smile

I liked it. Looks very proffesional.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-10-18 17:32:31)

Vamp_Slayer wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't want you to feel that way, but no reason to get like this. I explaiend myself maturely. I'm not trying to talk down to you I'm just expressing my feelings as well.

And you're right it's not the full thing, and I really don't want this to be a big deal. But even if you didn't like the full thing either like I said 2 times already people enjoy different things, and this is how movies work, some like it, some don't, doesn't mean I can't defend it.

I'm really not trying to cause tension, I hope you understand.

Everyone has different tastes in movies and such like you said, and not everyone will like the same things. I know this. So trying to say I don't understand something when you don't even know me to try justify your movie is better than what I am saying is wrong. I dislike a lot of movies people praise, because it's my own opinion - not because I don't know how much work is involved.

Ok man cool. I understand. I'm not saying it's better because it was a lot of work I'm trying to say that maybe someone like garden who has accomplished things in film before has a different appreciation (not a better one a different one) of something like this because of his background in it. I hope I didn't sour our future discussions on here. I've stated that is not how I meant to make you feel and that's all I can say.
And I hope that if you do watch the full thing you do give me an honest opinion, but I also hope you like it of course, but if not, water under the bridge.

Last edited by Vamp_Slayer (2012-10-18 17:55:43)

Nice short Vamp!  I love a good Indie movie, so I am looking forward to the finished movie smile 

BTW...The lead actress is very pretty

I understand where Scav is coming from.  The dark-haired actress seems a bit stiff.  But personally, having spent the majority of the 90s neck-deep in the SOV flick boom -- not just watching them, but helping others work on them (usually uncredited and ALWAYS unpaid lol ) I find that kind of thing easy to overlook, and think it's the writing and direction which make or break a movie at this level of filmmaking, not the acting.

Look at the movie Bloodletting, one of my favorite SOV flicks from the 90s.  The acting is stiff as hell, the effects are laughable, but it's so well-written and you can see so clearly what the filmmakers were going for that it's easy to forgive them their limited means and resources. 

At this level of filmmaking it's all about the spirit of the piece.  For some folks that's good enough, for others it isn't.  It's a matter of preference, and neither are right or wrong.

My two cents.

Thanks Lon, Vasques and Dirtygirl, I will likely put the movie up online if it doesn't get into the little festival here.
And I appreciate the mediating Lon, I really wasn't saying Scav was wrong. You are much better with words than I am clearly. Cool man smile

Nice example there Lon, I loved Bloodletting also.  But I am pretty forgiving when it comes to low budget Indie films.  I try to see through the bad FX or acting and take it for what it is, but the one thing I can't tolerate is terrible dialogue or a plot that just doesn't make sense even when it is a low budget film.

Like I said in my original post, if we the viewer are going to be stuck with the main character for the majority of the film (which is most likely, obviously) which could be an hour and a half long or maybe longer, I'd like if the acting was good by him/her. I find it hard to take a movie serious when the acting is bad, like The Room for example. I can't take that serious (and I'm sure it was going for the serious vibe), but with how bad the acting was I laughed at it. That's all I am saying, and like Lon pointed out others can look over it which is great. smile

^ Dialogue is sort of a weaker point for me I must admit (I have been workign on that through trying to write more and think the scene out more before it's written). Maybe it wasn't her acting...but my dialogue :s
There is an effect shot at the end of this that bugs me so much because I feel it's... noticeable but I hope it still work to some effect lol...guess we will see.
If it does play at the thater (I've seen movies there before, like The Human Centipede and people laughed through the whole thing) I sort of expect a bit of laughing through out this, but if it's their way of enjoying than I am just happy to entertain if I can!

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

Like I said in my original post, if we the viewer are going to be stuck with the main character for the majority of the film (which is most likely, obviously) which could be an hour and a half long or maybe longer, I'd like if the acting was good by him/her. I find it hard to take a movie serious when the acting is bad, like The Room for example. I can't take that serious (and I'm sure it was going for the serious vibe), but with how bad the acting was I laughed at it. That's all I am saying, and like Lon pointed out others can look over it which is great. smile

I think a lot of people love the room because of that (I have never seen it myself, but the place I am submitting this to plays it every month, seriously lol)...I really hope this doesn't turn out like The Room though! LOL.
I hope that if you see the full thing you feel she did well with the role. I used to go watch her plays in high school and she is a great actress on stage and an awesome singer.

DirtyGirl wrote:

...but the one thing I can't tolerate is terrible dialogue or a plot that just doesn't make sense even when it is a low budget film.

Exactly.  As I said, it's the writing and direction which make or break a movie at this level of filmmaking.  And for every one good SOV flick like Bloodletting, Vicious Sweet or Shatter Dead, you've got a dozen really terrible ones like Gore Whore, or Goroticka, or Blood Cult, or The Necro Files, or Strawberry Estates, or Schizophreniac: The Whore Mangler, or Gut-Pile. 

And when you've seen enough really shitty SOV flicks like those, the good ones tend to stand out.  And going strictly by the trailer -- which I consider successful because it did its job and got me interested -- this seems as though it could be one of the good ones.

But again, that's only my opinion as someone who's spent a lot of time in and around the world of SOV filmmaking.  I can't, and won't, hold it against others who haven't.

Incidentally, Vamp -- the blond actress is quite a looker and seems to be a decent actor, as well.  I may end up having to borrow her some day.

For what, I won't say. big_smile

Last edited by LoudLon (2012-10-18 18:15:45)

^^

Dialogue weaker point

Might be but you got quite a few nice replics that stuck in my head in the trailer. "I'll be a star."
But for me the best thing that ever happen to humanity is the discovery of cinematography. And as I'm a fan of all of it, I enjoy seeing the work put out by everyone involved. H3LL, very rare are the movies I don't like. I don't feel good in the critic's seat. Much more confortable in the fan's one.
I love movie making. I watch every damn bonuses on every DVDs.

But it's interesting seeing the opinion of others I must say.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2012-10-18 18:24:44)

Vamp_Slayer wrote:
Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

I hope that if you see the full thing you feel she did well with the role.

I will for sure check the movie out when it's out online. smile Just let me know where to see it and I shall!

Funny enough Lon, The blonde (Steph) she was just a close friend who I asked to be in it and the brunette (Elizabeth) is someone who I hadn't been in touch with for years. I had no idea the steph could come across so naturally. She was so nervous and then she started and I was like..."shit, you are actually really good at this."
BTW I wasn't making any comments to scav with the intention of holding it against him. I just meant to point out that there will be different views between people with and without experience, I shouldn't have wrote it as I did, I did not at all mean his was of a lesser or wrong opinion. Just a different one.