Topic: Florida Trip - any suggestions?

Hello lovelies smile

I won a competition today and I am super excited, the prize is £5,000!!! I have been wanting to go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter for the longest time, and now I am going to book tickets for me and my brother to go in November.

I was just wondering if any of you could answer some questions for me? I'm not sure exactly where all of you are from, but most of you are closer to there than I am!

Firstly, what will the weather be like in November?

Secondly, besides Harry Potter, what else is a must to see or do in Florida? Should I hire a car or do public transport?

What foods should I try? I've never been to the US before and I am super super excited!! If any of you can give me tips that would be wonderful, thank you so much! xxx

Re: Florida Trip - any suggestions?

You're going to be looking at about 14 degrees C to about 26 (Converted for you metric folks big_smile ) for the weather on average. That's about what it was the last time I went. As for public transport I'm not sure but if it's cheap I might recommend hiring a car for the trip.

As for food, that might be a wild card. I'm not sure of what the food is exactly down there but you should expect some good cuban food down there. At least that's what I've heard

I live in Alabama so I go to florida at least a couple of times a year. The weather in November is going to be warm. As far as keeping yourself entertained you shouldn't have a problem. There are tons of amusement parks and various other tourist traps and tons of shopping malls; and of course the beaches. Also tons of bars and nightclubs (if you're into that sort of thing.) As far as the food goes, you'll be able to get pretty much whatever you want. From traditonal southern style food (fried foods) to cuban food, but most of all you'll be able to try every imaginable type of seafood.

Last edited by Suspiria_89 (2012-10-19 16:01:45)

Good call suspiria, I forgot about the seafood. Some of the best raw oysters I've ever had was in florida. Absolutely fantastic.

Go to Universal! And then please tell us all about it!

Okay I have been in Orlando, Florida three times now so I know it pretty well tongue You don't need to hire a car per say, if you get a hotel on International Drive (there is a lot of cheap place, but then nice pricy places if you want a bit more fancier stuff). But there is a bus called the 'I-Ride' and you buy a ticket from your hotel or any of the shops that sell the tickets to the parks, and the I-Ride goes all the way up and down International Drive all day (to about 11pm I think). And you can use it to get to Universal Studies or Sea World, or some of the shopping malls. It's a very handy bus to get and save money from taxis. I'd also say go to Busch Gardens in Tampa (you can get a bus from your hotel to there, it's an all day trip though - keep it in mind). Go to all the parks you can, Sea World, Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, and hell even Disney. It's fun for even us older folks lol Orlando is amazing, I love going there. Me and my whole family go there mostly every year now - it's great for all ages.

Have fun!

(P.S the new Harry Potter ride? One of the best in Universal tongue )

I am beyond excited for Harry Potter. I wanna go into Hogsmeade and get a robe and a wand and everything lol. I think we will do all the parks, I like water rides the best but my brother loves massive coasters.

Thanks Scav for the travel info, I really want to see an American shopping mall, they always look incredible compared to ours, absolutely huge and I want to see the different shops you have. And Busch Gardens looks brilliant!

Thanks Sus & Panda about the food, I'm gonna try as much as I can, the fried food should be interesting! I'm gonna try and get to a sweet shop too and buy stuff we don't have here big_smile

I'll have to hit the beach at some point, and I'd love to go clubbing but my brother is only 19 so he can't drink over there, hehe!

Also try Panda Express for some food, that place is incredible tongue

Congrats, HQ.  With the conversion rate, that 5k pounds you're bringing over will translate to roughly 8,000 US dollars so you can pretty much stay in whatever hotel and ride around in whatever transportation you want. lol

I can't say much for Florida because I've only been there twice, and both times I was in my teens back in the 80s so I'm sure a great many things have changed. hmm

Also speaking of food you have to eat at an Olive Garden, that place has such amazing food.

^ There's even one on International Drive, very handy.

I don't know if they have Frisch's in Florida but if they do, you've GOT to try a Big Boy Burger.  They're the balls.

Oh, and by the way, familiarize yourself with American-English food references.  If you come over here asking for fish and chips, you'll end up with an unwashed prostitute and Erik Estrada in a cop uniform.

HorrorQueen you are going to have a blast!!! Congrats!!!

LoudLon wrote:

I don't know if they have Frisch's in Florida but if they do, you've GOT to try a Big Boy Burger.  They're the balls.

Oh, and by the way, familiarize yourself with American-English food references.  If you come over here asking for fish and chips, you'll end up with an unwashed prostitute and Erik Estrada in a cop uniform.

Bahahahaha that was awesome big_smile big_smile

So I gotta say 'Fries' when I mean chips, and 'Chips' when I mean crisps, right? What else? I know Soda is pop, candy is sweets, erm I don't think I know anything else! Oh yeah, I found out today what grits are...I don't think I'll be trying em though lol

Thanks dead smile I'm looking at staying real close to Universal Studios, maybe at the park hotel but I'm waiting to talk to my cousin who's a travel agent because I want to choose the best big_smile

OH MY GOD SO LUCKY!!!!!!! Wonder if I'm forced to go if I won the prize during school.

I live on the east coast of Florida about an hour away from Orlando. It was 88 deg Fahrenheit today. It won't be much different in November. I'd say low 80's/upper 70's. As for things you should check out, Universal is awesome. There's a restaurant across the street from Universal on South Kirkman road called Miller's Ale House that serves good food and lots of beer. Hard Rock Cafe and  Margaritaville are right there at Universal in Citywalk.  You should also check out Church Street if you're looking for things to do at night. Lots of clubs and restaurants there.

It's too bad you're not going in October. Halloween Horror Nights is every weekend and it's one of the best horror themed attractions in the US.

If you have any questions PM me.

Oh and if you're not afraid of driving I'd say rent a car. Public transport isn't that great unless you're only going to be traveling a short distance from your hotel. Rentals all come with GPS so directions shouldn't be an issue as long as you have addresses for where you're going.

HorrorQueen17 wrote:

So I gotta say 'Fries' when I mean chips

Yep.

and 'Chips' when I mean crisps, right?

Yep.

What else? I know Soda is pop

Some folks call a soda a pop, but most just call it a soda.

I found out today what grits are...I don't think I'll be trying em though lol

Have you ever had Cream of Wheat?  If so, you've had grits.  Just load 'em up with butter and sugar, they're a heap better that way (even if drastically less healthy lol ).

Hehe, thanks Lon. I'll be talking like y'all when I come back!  Any other foreign words I gotta learn? wink I've not had Cream of Wheat, I saw Grits on the TV tonight and it looked like gloopy porridge hmm my friend who's from California told me about deep fried coke and chocolate, I'd try that but be  a tad scared of a heart attack

Thanks Ms.G, I'm not afraid of driving I'd just be a little wary of driving on the 'wrong' side of the road lol. I know, the horror theme nights look amazing! But I won't get the cash cleared in time to go for that sad What time do the parks stay open til by the way?

Oooh and are there any good sports teams to watch while we're there? Bearing in mind I know absolutely zilch about American sports big_smile

Last edited by HorrorQueen17 (2012-10-19 19:24:48)

You lucky lil devil. Your gonna have a blast I'm sure! I'd suggest a bathing suit and tanning lotion/sun screen.

Hope this helps: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions- … orida.html

As for sports teams: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sp … in_Florida

Your gonna share your pics, right!?

Last edited by Underdog (2012-10-19 19:53:02)

Thanks Undie! I'll definitely have to wear lots of sunscreen, I burn real easily even just in Britain. Do you think it would be more fun to see football or baseball? Or basketball? big_smile

I certainly will share my pics! Buying a new camera especially smile

Hit Disney, of course since I used to work there I might be slightly biased. : lol:
Seriously it is fun, if you do go to the magic kingdom tell the boat piolots Aaron said hi.
It wouldn't hurt to pack a few warm outfits especially if you're on a boat of an evening.
Also if you go to the magic kingdom be sure and watch the Main Street Electrical Parade, and the water light parade on the lake, I was actually training for the water parade.

HorrorQueen17 wrote:

Thanks Undie! I'll definitely have to wear lots of sunscreen, I burn real easily even just in Britain. Do you think it would be more fun to see football or baseball? Or basketball? big_smile

I certainly will share my pics! Buying a new camera especially smile

Well, the regular baseball season is over, so that cancels that out. I would suggest American style football, but not sure if the team will be at home while your there?