Topic: Which Exorcist prequel movie do you prefer? Scrader or Harlin?

I think the original version made by Scrader was and still is great. I managed to watch his version when it came on Spike TV last year or whatever and compared it to the Renny Harlin version.

Harlin's version is a bit longer with the CGI hyenas and the soldiers fighting against the tribe warriors.

Dominion feels like an actual The Exorcist prequel movie while Renny Harlin's version is a bit over the top

Re: Which Exorcist prequel movie do you prefer? Scrader or Harlin?

I like Dominion better but I was at a really good place in my life when I saw The Beginning that I'll always associate very positive feelings with that movie.  Love 'em both!

Honestly, unless I rewatch them again consecutively, I can't remember the differences between them.

edit- It's Schrader, with an "h" by the way.  Thought I had missed some obscure film, heh.

While reading about them, there was a mention of the upside down cross being demonic.  The funny thing is it came about from St. Peter (supposedly), but popes have actually used it.  It is an indication that they are not worthy of having the same symbol as Christ.  So when it's portrayed in movies, they're actually saying the evil guys aren't worthy.  Not that it's a well known thing.

"The More You Know" <Rainbow Unicorn Flying>

Last edited by azathoth (2012-10-22 03:43:13)

Well there is a huge difference in plot in both prequel movies.

The Renny Harlin movie that was in theaters etc it has the little african boy going through a witch doctor type exorcism that goes horribly wrong, then Father Merrin's lady friend is the one that gets possessed by Pazuzu and there's that big battle between the village tribe against the british soldiers. That and that one Captain shoots himself in his tent because of supernatural stuff causing his butterfly collection coming alive. Merrin has some silly cheesy exorcism/physical fight against his lady friend possessed by Pazuzu.

In Dominion which is the original there is different stuff such as a white guy that unknown to everyone in the movie, he's possessed and slowly showing it too.  Some stuff that you saw in the Harlin versin such as the huge battle in the end of the movie none of that big battle between the army and the african village tribe whatever its not in Schrader's version.

Plus the whole CGI jackal/hyenas devouring that one boy its over the tope in Harlin's version while its kind of toned down in Schrader's version last time I watched it on Spike TV.

Hence, my need to rewatch both of them if I can't remember those differences.

I really didn't enjoy the exorcist:the beginning.  After hearing that they made Dominion, I watched that and decided to give both films another shot as a comparative.  I preferred and still prefer Dominion.  Better pacing and storytelling.