Topic: HM HorrorFest 2012 Official Announcement

Halloween is almost upon us, so that means HorrorFest and the shaving of monkeys.
(I know it's rather long, but the new folks should take the 2 minutes to read it.)

What:

33 movies, 66 hours of horror movies every 2 hours.
Here is the full schedule of movies, with IMDB links, YouTube links where available, and StageVu links.  StageVu respects copyright owners' rights, so it's an OK place to watch the films (as far as I could tell).
If someone logs on and asks what film we are watching, there is a fair chance I will punch your face through your monitor.

When:

(Note- times listed at for US Eastern.  Those in Europe add 5 hours, those in North America west of Eastern time subtract however many hours you are removed.)
It begins at noon on October 26th, 2012, and runs until 6AM Monday the 29th.

Who:

All members of HM and your host (me).
If people could let me know in this thread if they plan on coming or not, that would be a tad helpful.  There is a voice chat limit on Skype, so I don't want to pre-invite people that know they can't make it.

Why:

We like horror movies, and it's always fun to watch them together.

How:

Everyone gets a copy of each film on their own, and at the time scheduled I'll (or one of my helpers) make sure everyone is synced up, have a quick countdown,  and we start watching.  Then we chat as the movie runs.

We use the free program Skype.  You can download it here.  We only use text and/or voice chat, no video.  You can just hang out to read and/or listen, you can type, and you can speak- your choice. One thing that is important is if you don't have a headset, keep your mic away from your speaker(s), or everyone is going to get feedback.

If you are new to this, it's important that I get your Skype name before HFest starts so I have you on my HM list.  Just register a name and send a Contact Request (under the Contact Menu) to me at-
azathoth1945
If you wait to send the request once HFest starts, I can accept you, but you will have a myriad of issues.  It's just a Skype thing.  Also, my usual gang of deviants will be pre-invited to the convo.

You can also post your Skype name in this thread and this thread, so everyone will know who is trying to get in touch with them.  We don't have many problems on HM conversations since I only allow those  who I know on, but sometimes an odd name comes up, so it's a good reference.

Other Stuff:

I follow HM's #1 Rule- Respect.  If someone is harassing someone else, you'll get a warning, and if it keeps up, you're gone.  In the past 6 months there have been some issues, so I will be very sensitive to anyone stepping on anyone's toes.  This is not America, there is no right to free speech, this is MonkeyLand, Home of the Banana and Land of the Poo.  Discussion and disagreement is fine- call someone stupid and bye bye (except for Lon, you can call him whatever you want, tongue ) .

This is not going to be recorded like Movie Nights, but still try to keep your manners. Yes, we're all (mostly) adults, but we can still be civilized.  No need to talk like a drunken sailor (no offense Tri). 

Do not post torrent links or links to other questionably legal sites here.  We do not want HM to get into any trouble.

Finally, the entire idea behinds this is that we can all kick back, watch lots of horror, and talk with each other about.  Like if we were in a big living room together.  Just have fun! 

Looking forward to a great time,
Azzy

Edit- Oops!  I forget to thank all the people that helped.  1st is all the people that sent in suggestions.  I left all of the suggestions on the schedule spreadsheet, just so you have an idea of how tough it was to whittle down everyone's wishes. 

Then I would like to thank the estimable Lon, for putting in about 8 hours with me as we went through every freaking movie deciding on what to put in, and then putting them into time slots.  Plus, he found all the StageVu links for me.

Also, Garden, Panda, and Goon spent some times with us giving suggestions.  Crispy, Scavenger, Vas, and Ms. G also gave input.  I probably missed some people here, and I sincerely apologize to you.

I wanted everyone to know that I'm not a wizard monkey (though, actually, I am), but I have a lot of help getting this thing ready.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-10-18 17:03:50)

Re: HM HorrorFest 2012 Official Announcement

I'm psyched.  Can't wait!

Excellent! I will be there.

I wanted to point out I added a credits section at the end of the original post for the people that helped out.  I completely forgot to include that in the first version.  Check it out; those people also deserve credit.

I'm awake, so I'm bumping.  I only have 9 days left.

I think this would be a nice time for anyone who plans on attending the 'fest to state so here so we can have a general idea of how many folks to expect.

<--- I'll be there.

I shall definitely be there! I'm actually going to try to watch all of it, with small nap breaks in a couple of the films I've seen big_smile or maybe I'll just go hardcore and catnap on Skype lol cannot wait monkey boy xxx sorry I wasn't around to help plan sad

Edit - just realised the times for me on Friday, unfortunately I'll be at work for the first 2 films, but I'll be back for Creepshow I should think, finish work at 8pm my time

Last edited by HorrorQueen17 (2012-10-18 15:09:01)

"It begins at noon on February 26th, 2012, and runs until 6AM Monday the 29th."

I'm confused.

^ I was slightly confused by that, too. I just assumed it was a typo.

^^
Thanks guys, that was a slight typo.  February?  lol
Fixed it.

One week to go...

Seems like a good time for a reminder...

Only 5 more days to HFest.
Make sure you get your movies ready....

I was actually just looking at the list to see which ones I'd need to DL, thinking it'd be about a dozen or so.  Turns out, I only need to DL 5.  I had more of them on DVD than I thought. lol

^^
Yeah, I need to do the same.  "Hi, I'm your host, and I don't have the movie!  Feel free to poke sticks at me."

Just doing the exact same thing, I've gotta DL 8.

I won't be able to make the first 4 films because I'm at work, probably won't be able to make Dog Soldiers on Sunday either, and I really really want to be around for Bay of Blood/Twitch of the Death Nerve, Tenebrea and Phenomena (1985) but I'm a bit double booked! I'm trying to get out of it though tongue

Apart from that, I'm going to try and be around for it all! Maybe the 7am-9am showing my time will be my nap time lol

4 more days...

IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

^^
That song got one of my YouTube videos banned in Germany, lol

^ The song was obviously too good to be in Germany lol

We're heading for Venus (Venus)...
And still we stand tall...
And maybe they've seen us...
And welcome us all
With so many light years to go
And things to be found
I'm sure that we'll all miss her so...
It's the Final Countdown!

I don't care what people say.  I like that song.  The opening was the first song I ever taught myself to play on a synthesizer. lol

Anyhoo, back on point -- I'm psyched, man.  Shit's been going so bad this year that a weekend full of movie watching with some 'net pals feels like just what the doctor ordered.  Now if I can only keep the fam' at bay long enough to enjoy it, that would be great. lol

And most of all, I'm very happy to be a part of this years HFest! Looking forward to watching movies with you guys (and gals of course).

...(few minutes later) - Why the hell did I say 'gals'?

Speaking of which Lon, I'm gonna give you admin privileges for HFest for when I'm not around.  Basically it means you can add or kickout people.

Here is a list of commands to do stuff.
The important stuff can only be done by me and people with the "Master" status.

I could use a few other people to help being mods during the weekend.  Let me know if you're interested in helping.  There's not going to be a schedule to follow, I just want a few people so the chances are someone will around to be in charge.  Like starting the movie on time.

I'm willing to step up if you need someone, seeing how I'll be around for most of the shebang anyhow

!
Yay! big_smile big_smile

^ I can help for the Europe side of things too if you need some.