Re: Top 20 1980's horror

There were about, oh...ififteen or twenty others I considered listing but I didn't want to take this thread too far off-topic.  It's about our "top 20" 80s horror flicks, not our "top 20 obscure but worth a look" 80s horror flicks. lol

^^
Same reason I didn't do my usual Wiki thing listing all movies from a certain time period.

LoudLon wrote:

There were about, oh...ififteen or twenty others I considered listing but I didn't want to take this thread too far off-topic.  It's about our "top 20" 80s horror flicks, not our "top 20 obscure but worth a look" 80s horror flicks. lol

Please go right ahead and list them Lon smile  I would like to see your list!

Stepford Wives...

http://youtu.be/FBXk4UdhRso

I am going to go with yes she is strangled, but it is only implied not shown!

Good enough for me.  I should really rewatch that flick.  Katherine Ross never gets enough props and Paula Prentiss is fantastic as her smarmy friend.

As for the other 20 obscure 80s movies, since DG asked so nicely...

Dawn of the Mummy
The Church
Q: The Winged Serpent
Alligator
The Stepfather
I, Madman
Phantom of the Opera '89
The Dorm that Dripped Blood (aka Pranks)
Dead Ringers
Macabre
Lair of the White Worm
Vamp
Basket Case
Frightmare
Effects
Hell Comes to Frogtown
The Carrier
Bad Dreams
Death Warmed Up
Body Count

Actually, I could probably do another twenty on top of those. lol

Nice there are a few there I haven't seen yet smile

Kinda sad when you say "obscure" and I've seen almost all of them.

Street Trash
Basketcase
Maniac
The Burning
Hellraiser
C.H.U.D.
Stagefright
The Beyond
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
The Prowler
Evil Dead
Day of the Dead
Child's Play
Sleepaway Camp II
Slime City
Slumber Party Massacre
Creepshow 2
Pieces
From Beyond
The Thing

In no order. Stagefright and Street Trash tie for #1 though

Last edited by jugchord (2012-10-22 19:00:10)

Nobody ever mentions Effects!  Joe Pilato said it was his favourite movie he made besides the George Romero movies...

Lon-  how about a 90s list also?  Maybe we should start a new thread for that one...

Been wanting to see Effects forever but have never gotten around to it unfortunately. Looks great though

jugchord wrote:

Been wanting to see Effects forever but have never gotten around to it unfortunately. Looks great though

Joe Pilato is fantastic in it smile

Huh, a movie I haven't heard of before. Even has Savini in it.  I hang my head in shame.

DirtyGirl wrote:

Lon-  how about a 90s list also?  Maybe we should start a new thread for that one...

I'll check it out! And I'd definitely participate in this. The early 90's kicked outrageous amounts of ass.

azathoth wrote:

Huh, a movie I haven't heard of before. Even has Savini in it.  I hang my head in shame.

Silly Monkey smile

DirtyGirl wrote:

After you, ma'am. smile

Azzie -- Effects also has one of the most realistic-looking fake snuff films.  Shot by Savini himself; he even made sure to bump the camera to add to the 'authenticity' of it.  It also plays very well on its film-within-a-film theme.  Really good flick; not sure why it's not more popular.

I'm trying to figure out how I never heard of it before.  There is a vast difference between not seeing a film and not hearing of it.  It would be like if you haven't heard of Nine Lives.

ExplorerPOD wrote:

It is definitely unreal how many fun horror movies came out of the 80s^

Yeah I noticed that as I was making my list. There's tons of good horror comedies from the 80's, more than any other decade.

azathoth wrote:

Kinda sad when you say "obscure" and I've seen almost all of them.

Shouldn't u rather be proud.

LoudLon wrote:

They may not be top-20 material but here are a few lesser known 80s horror flicks worth checking out (IMO) but which almost never seem to come up in conversation...

The Outing
The Offspring (aka From A Whisper to a Scream)
Twice Dead
Night of the Comet
Mark of Cain
Blood Frenzy
The Brain
Roktober Blood

Very nice I definitely love Night of the Comet but other than that, these are mostly new.  I'm going to check out The Offspring for sure.  Might also check out Blood Frenzy if I get in the mood for a slasher.

DirtyGirl wrote:

Nobody ever mentions Effects!  Joe Pilato said it was his favourite movie he made besides the George Romero movies...

Wow I really need to check out effects.  Looks real cool by the cover.  How does it look on screen?  I like the 80s movies that don't look incredibly low budget.

Well, sadly it IS very low budget (shot for less than 100K, if memory serves -- and this was 32 years ago) but the DVD's a solid, clean transfer.  I snapped some screen caps to give you an idea...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/vlcsnap-2012-10-23-13h22m13s113.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/vlcsnap-2012-10-23-13h21m22s140.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/vlcsnap-2012-10-23-13h20m58s138.png