Topic: ZERO Censorship in Horror?

What do u guys think. Should we accept that some censorship is necessary in very very extreme cases e.g Very extreme animal cruelty?
Or should we not allow any Horror film to be cut at all. I think that we dont need any censorship just properly enforced rating systems. Treating adults like impressionable kids is ridiculous in a democratic society.

EDITED LIST

Video Nasties/Exploitation/Horror still banned (refused certificate) in the UK

Love Camp 7 (refused certificate in 2002)
Fight for Your Life
Grotesque
Bunny Games
Murder Set Pieces
Mikey
Escape from Hell

Video Nasties/Exploitation/Horror still censored (with cuts)

I Spit On Your Grave
The Toolbox Murders
Antropophagus
Nightmare
Maniac
New York Ripper
Human Centipede 2

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-08-29 18:40:37)

Re: ZERO Censorship in Horror?

I think they shouldn't censor ******* and ******* in horror movies smile

what the hell is "Mikey" banned for? i've seen it and there's nothing in it that could/ should be banned!

As far as subject matter, I don't think anything should be censored.  A film should be about what it wants to be about without worry of censorship.

What I do object to is how certain things are depicted in the movie -- mostly when it comes to inclusion of real death (human or animal), real corpses, authentic rape and authentic injury/molestation of children.  Not just because it would me just plain wrong and immoral, but because there's not one of these things which couldn't be realistically depicted with special FX or editing tricks.  To include the genuine thing, to me, is something that deserves to be censored.  And maybe never let that particular filmmaker behind a camera again.

Human centipede isn't banned in the UK anymore. I seen it in HMV only the other day. Grossly overpriced too just cause it has "previously banned" slapped on the cover. £12 for that tripe? No ta!

Some of the ones still banned from the moral panic of '84 are only that way because they haven't been resubmitted. But yeah, I do agree with you. It comes and goes depending on what is going on in the media at the time. There's been a lot of cat attacks in the papers lately so expect Cat people etc to be removed from a HMV near you. I think some people genuinely believe the so called evidence that something in fiction can actually cause a sane person to get up and axe murder someone but the truth is, unless you are already mentally capable of murdering someone in cold blood then watching something like Bunny Games is only gonna give them creative ideas not the motivation in the first place.

The way I feel about it is, whatever a (horror) movie whats to show then it should be allowed go for what it wants, not everyone needs things to be censored for people. Everyone knows their own limits and what they want to see. I know what I like and don't like to see, I don't need people censoring things for me that maybe I'd like to see. No matter what they are.

I agree with lon. Fiction shouldn't be censored but something the shows real life murder, animal cruelty and rape is a crime and shouldn't be allowed full stop.

I want too ask if there were any actors/actress around here (obvioubsly not): Do they get naked and do they do the kissing act for real when you're filming?

Kissing yes. They do all that on set. Sex scenes are usually cleverly edited but no intercourse actually happens.

EDITED LIST

Video Nasties/Exploitation/Horror still banned (refused certificate) in the UK

Love Camp 7 (refused certificate in 2002)
Fight for Your Life
Grotesque
Bunny Games
Murder Set Pieces
Mikey
Escape from Hell

Video Nasties/Exploitation/Horror still censored (with cuts)

I Spit On Your Grave
The Toolbox Murders
Antropophagus
Nightmare
Maniac
New York Ripper
Human Centipede 2

A Lost Boy wrote:

I want too ask if there were any actors/actress around here (obvioubsly not): Do they get naked and do they do the kissing act for real when you're filming?

Incorrect.  AceOfSpades has both acted and directed a movie.  He doesn't get naked or kiss anyone, but he does throw himself off a water tower!  lol

As for censure, I'm with Lon, also.  Anything illegal in the real world should not ever be depicted in films (as in actually doing it).  Faking it or CGI'ing it, eh, it depends on what's it about.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-08-29 16:52:13)

Here is an awesome quote about censorship.

"Nasties (video or otherwise) are the product of violence rather than its cause. To say otherwise....
is like suggesting that the wind is caused by trees shaking their branches"

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-09-01 07:39:16)

UltraViolence wrote:

Kissing yes. They do all that on set. Sex scenes are usually cleverly edited but no intercourse actually happens.

Ugh... that's what I hate being an actor that is forced to kiss or to get naked.

^^
Anyone else find this post a bit odd?

ALB -- an actor reads the script before they agree to appear in the movie.  They know before they sign on if there's kissing/nudity/sex scenes, so nobody's forcing them to do anything.

You should read the scripts Vampy and I write together for the weekends.  Wait, am I on the correct website?

I'm going to venture a guess and say no... lol

^^
Hmm, I should probably rename my bookmarks...
HM: Horror-movies, Horny-Marriage, Hagus-Menus, Hungry-Muppets, Happy-Monkeys, Horse-Manure, Hippo-Massage.

Yeah, I should re-title some of those...

Last edited by azathoth (2012-10-23 06:48:17)

I'm always confusing this site with my Hippo Massage bookmark.

Just thought I'd pop in to say that I agree, with what others have said, with one minor difference. There are movies, like Cannibal Holocaust, or just generally older movies that have animal cruelty in them. I wouldn't ask that these films be censored, just that any new films be unallowed to continue in this practice.

Though it can be disturbing, it's really no worse than the Japanese version of Iron Chef. They were always killing animals or cooking animals live. Not that disturbing to me, I get how the food process works.

Last edited by Theli (2012-10-24 14:38:40)

Personally don't think the government should NOT be in charge to censor anything. They should "recommend" a censor, but leave it up to retailers to do it. If a movie theater chain or a rental company still wants to give it to their people, they can, un touched. Perhaps add a sticker or something to it stating it SHOULD be censored but ISNT.

Of course then politics would come into play and anyone that actually carries the movies would get hissy fits from political wannabe's.

I also agree from above. It shouldn't be the censor, it should be that certain things are simply not allowed to be made. Animal cruelty, of it violent gross things are literally happening to the actors then no, you are not allowed to make that period. However if it is all FAKE then I see no reason to censor it.

Last edited by BrainDamageFilms (2012-10-24 19:08:58)