Re: DirtyGirl's Horror Movie A Day Challenge

^^^ I think her hubby might have something to say about that, D. lol lol

dam it all to hell lol I need a change of tactics!!!!

Hey DG just between you an me we know better than them right?

Day 320-   

If A Tree Falls- First Watch dvd 6/10

A small budget canadian exploitation indie movie.  worth checking out if you like indie films.

Day 321-

Halloween 3

Halloween 4

Oct 12 - Satan's Little Helper (2004) 2/5.  First watch.
Hypothermia (2012) 3/5.  First watch.

Oct 13 - Prometheus (2012) 5/5.  Rewatch.
Nosferatu (1922) 3.5/5.  First watch.

Oct 14 - A Fantastic Fear of Everything (2012) 3/5.  First watch.

I am really looking forward to seeing fantastic fear of everything!

Day 322-

Halloween 5

^It is not really a horror movie DG, but it has gotten a lot of press on this site and other horror sites so I don't mind including it here.  It takes awhile to get going, but it is entertaining, especially if you are a fan of Simon Pegg.

Oct 16 - Dead and Buried (1981) - It has been some time since I last watched it, but it still holds up very well.  Creepy and atmospheric with a nice twist.  4/5.  Rewatch.

Oct 17 - Killer Joe (2011) - In debt to a local thug and fearing for his life, Chris hatches a plan to murder his evil mother and collect the insurance money.  Enlisting the help of his father, they reach an agreement with Killer Joe to carry out the hit.  But wanting payment up front for his services, Killer Joe decides to keep Chris' sister Dottie as a retainter until he is paid.  Of course, once the plan is set in motion, there is no going back for Chris' family, even when things don't go according to plan.  A very well done thriller from William Friedkin with plenty of dark humor.  Plus, Dottie is a little hottie.  A very entertaining watch.  4/5.  First watch.

Oct 18 - 247*F (2011) - A carefree weekend at a lakeside cabin turns into a nightmare as 3 of the 4 friends get trapped in the sauna with the temperature climbing.  I didn't care much for it.  2/5.  First watch.

Barricade (2012) - After the death of his wife, Terrence Shade takes their two childeren on a winter retreat to a cabin in the moutains.  Once there, they begin to be terroized by a manacing prescence.  But is the prescence real or are the odd events happening around them all in their minds.  Pretty weak, definitely could have been done better.  2/5.  First watch.

Had a busy weekend, so I have to catch up on here now...

Oct 16 Day 233- Ghost Story

Oct 17 Day 234- The Hunger

Oct 18 Day 235- Midnight Son

Oct 19 Day 236- Daybreakers

Oct 20 Day 237- Frankenweenie

Oct 21 Day 238-  Mark of the Vampire

I've been on a Vampire kick lately smile

Oct 19 - Celluloid Bloodbath: More Prevues from Hell (2012) - A collection of 62 over the top horror movie prevues from the golden age of grindhouse, spanning the 60's through the 80's.  Some great trailers in this one, and it was cool to see so many icons from the horror genre.  Some of the segments between prevues could have been more polished, but overall, an enjoyable watch.  3/5.  First watch.

Oct 21 - Black Sunday (1960) - Condemed witch Princess Asa returns from the dead two centuries after her execution to wreak havoc on the family of her killers.  Great atmosphere and cinematography in this one, loved how sharp and crisp the black and white made everything.  3.5/5.  First watch.

Oct 23 - Groom Lake (2002) - Kate is dying, but before she goes, she wants reassurance that there is other inteligent life in the universe.  So she and her boyfriend Andy drive to the one place that they may find proof, Groom Lake.  Written, directed and staring William Shatner, this one is really poorly done.  I didn't hate it, but everything about it from the writting to the acting is so bad that it is laughable.  One bright spot was Amy Acker, who is a cutie.  1.5/5.  First watch.

Inbred (2011) - Four young delinquents and their social workers spend a weekend in the small Yorkshire village of Mortlake, but when they run afoul with the locals, their weekend of team building turns into a nightmare.  Nice and gorey with some creative kills and well done practical effects, not to mention the entertaining dark humor.  I thought that they could have been a little more creative with the ending, but it was still a fun watch.  3.5/5.  First watch.

Oct 24 - Killer Nun (1978) - Suffering from a brain disorder, a mentally disturbed nun develops some nasty habits, and I'm not talking about her wardrobe.  Addicted to morphine, her life spins out of control.  So naturally, when patients at her mental hospital start turning up dead, she is the prime suspect.  But even after the mother superior has her committed, the murders continue.  The name sounds better than the movie itself, because it pretty much sucked.  What little nudity the film did contain featured a lovely young lady sporting an obvious prosthetic muff and struggling to hide her breasts.  Then there was a scene where you can clearly see an FX guy poke his head out of a doorway before spraying blood on the hands of the nun.  If you are looking for Nuns-plotation, look elsewhere.  1.5/5.  First and definitely last watch.

Oct 25 - The Day (2011) - Struggling to stay alive each day, a group of 5 people make their way through a post-apocalyptict world in search of food and shelter.  Coming accross an abanodoned farmhouse, complete with food, they find what they think is a safe haven, but all is not what it seems as they soon find themselves at the mercy of a group of blood thirsty survivalists.  A decent little post-apocalyptic thriller, though I am still not sure I know exactly what was going on.  Definitely warrants a second watch.  3/5.  First watch.

Oct 26 - The Devil's Carnival (2012) - No synopsis needed here, let's just say that it was f**king stupid!!  The only saving grace was that it was short, at least I can say that I only wasted 55 minutes of my life watching this useless garbage.  Please, please, please Darren, stick to horror, and stop making these ridiculous musical monstrosities!!!  I'd give it a one for technical merit if I didn't hate the movie so much.  0/5.  First and very last watch for sure!

Cockneys vs Zombies (2012) - A group of bank robbers fight their way out of a zombie infested London.  Glad that this one followed up the drivel mentioned above.  Not a great zombie/comedy but it was well done, funny and very enjoyable.  3.5/5.  First watch.

Oct 27 - The Great Ecstasy of Robert Carmichael (2005) - In a small English coastal town, three teenage boys are drawn into a world of temptation and violence. Bored, troubled and excluded, the boys are unable to accept or even recognise moral boundaries. Their actions move inexorably towards a truly shocking act, one that will horrify their sleepy community and expose its deepest, hidden fears.  Pretty slow and uneventful for the most part, but you just know that the actions of the three boys is going to lead them to something really bad.  Wraps up with a truly disturbing sequence of events, which as far as brutality goes, is on par with A Clockwork Orange, though even more disturbing given who is commiting the acts.  3/5.  First watch.

DG, where are you?

Oct 29 - The Thompsons (2012) - On the run from the law, The Thompson family, formerly the Hamiltons, make their way to Europe and the UK in search of others who share their condition.  But when they find them, will they be willing to take in their American bretheren, or will they have more sinister designs for them.  The Butcher Brothers sequel to 2006's The Hamiltons lacks the gritty indie feeling of the original, and instead goes with a more polished, glitzty almost Twilight appeal to this one.  Which is funny, because at one point during the narrative, they even made a point to take a jab at the Twilight series.  It was okay, but I liked the original much better.  2.5/5.  First watch.

I was also doing a sort of 31 horror movies for October, apparently a got a bit ahead of myself, going on 32 now, The Shrine.

Oct 31 - The Pyx (1973) - A detective investigating the death of a heroin addicted prostitute uncovers evidence of a satanic cult, which will stop at nothing to keep their secret from being revealed.  The copy that I watched, even though it was on DVD was really poor, like it was a transfer from an old VHS tape.  It was difficult to make out much when the scenes would get dark, plus there were no subtitles for the many occasions when the characters would speak French.  The acting at times was amatuerish, but on the plus side it did feature a very young and lovely looking Karen Black, and she even got naked for a couple of scenes.  She also sang on several of the tracks on the film, which were haunting and well done.  A very young Christopher Plummer also did a fine job as the lead detective.  Overall, it was just okay, but still entertaining.  3/5.  First watch.

Nov 1 - Paranormal Activity 4 (2012) - Don't know that it was the weakest of the series, I was not a big fan of the third installment and the introduction of the Coven to the story line, but the series appears to be running out of steam.  In many ways, I liked this one better than the third, but I couldn't help but thinking as I watched, that I knew exactly where it would end up.  There are a few nice scares towards the ending, but the build up seems to take forever.  Just okay.  3/5.  First watch.

Nov 2 - The Gore Gore Girls: Special Edition (1972) - So bad that it is good.  Can you imagine being the special FX guy that got to smear strawberry jam on that chick's ass to make it look like it was beaten by a meat tenderizer?  Good fun.  2.5/5.  First watch.

The Devil's Business (2011) - Two hit men, Mr. Pinner and his greenhorn associate Cully, are sent to the home of a Mr. Kist to take him out when he arrives home from the opera.  It should be a routine job, but when they discover the remnants of a satanic ritual in the basement, the job becomes anything but routine.  Thanks Mistress of Horror for the heads up on this one.  For a low budget flick, this one was really well done, again showing what creative and original film makers can do with a minimal budget.  The ending was a bit odd and unexpected, but overall, it was a very enjoyable watch.  3.5/5.  First watch.

Nov 3 - Big Bad Wolf (2006) - A group of rowdy college students think they are going to have a weekend of booze and sex at an isolated hunting cabin, but a wisecracking Werewolf who uses the cabin as his safe haven during full moons has other plans for them.  A bit on the corney side, but still an enjoyable watch.  2.5/5.  First watch.

Nov 4 - Red Lights (2012) - Psychologist Margaret Matheson and her assistant Tom Buckley investigate and debunk paranormal activity.  When a world renown psycic resurfaces after decades in hiding, Margaret and Tom must decide wether it is worth the risk to investigate him, knowing that the psycic's greatest critic died mysteriously after confronting him 30 years ago.  It was different from what I was expecting, but I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit.  Good performances all around with a nice little twist thrown in at the end.  3.5/5.  First watch.

Oh dear....I have completely lost track of what I watched lately!  October is always so busy for me.

This past Saturday I watched NOTLD and Dawn of the Dead at the Theatre.

Sunday:  Day of the Dead (on dvd)

Monday:  Munsters TV show (first disc of the first season) and Dark Shadows Remake (Bluray)

Tuesday Nov the 6th-

The Hunger starring Catherine Deneuve, David Bowie, and Susan Sarandon...

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab101/DirtyGirlMovies/thehunger.jpg

Wednesday the 7th-

Watched Near Dark and the first Harry Potter with my son smile