Re: What non-horror movie scared the crap out of you?

Close Encounters of the third kind

The giant dog in Neverending Story really creeped me out for some reason.

And David Bowie in Labirynth. Also creepy.

Back in the 80s the movie Miracle Mile really did me in. For those that haven't seen it, it takes place in real time one night in L.A. when a guy who has just fallen in love picks up a pay phone call and the panicked guy, who claims to work in a missile silo, says the US has launched a preemptive nuclear strike and that a retaliatory strike is eminent. Is it a crank call or is this guy the only civilian in the US who knows the truth. As he involves more people, things begin to get out of hand, and still no one is sure whether or not the world is coming to a nuclear end. It's brilliant, alas the trailer is very 80s cheese and doesn't do the movie justice. Great Tangerine Dream score btw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N5FBXs1ZWw

Last edited by Bunshinsaba (2012-04-13 17:07:19)

Bunshinsaba wrote:

Back in the 80s the movie Miracle Mile really did me in. For those that haven't seen it, it takes place in real time one night in L.A. when a guy who has just fallen in love picks up a pay phone call and the panicked guy, who claims to work in a missile silo, says the US has launched a preemptive nuclear strike and that a retaliatory strike is eminent. Is it a crank call or is this guy the only civilian in the US who knows the truth. As he involves more people, things begin to get out of hand, and still no one is sure whether or not the world is coming to a nuclear end. It's brilliant, alas the trailer is very 80s cheese and doesn't do the movie justice. Great Tangerine Dream score btw

good film

wolfman1959 wrote:
Bunshinsaba wrote:

good film

Miracle Mile was so ahead of its time with regard to the subject matter (nuclear war), which unfortunately no film today can use to both emotionally move you and  scare you the way Miracle Mile did.  But that was 25 years ago when nuclear war was cinematicaly fresh and bloody frightening, and was portrayed without the cinematic hyperbole of Hollywood today. It seemed real, and after watching MM, you left with a genuine feeling of dread. Haven't felt that, to that extent since then.  Did you see it on the big screen?

Last edited by Bunshinsaba (2012-04-14 19:57:27)

Vasquez wrote:

Jurassic park scared the fuck out of me when i was 10. The effects for those dinosaurs looked so damn realistic and still hold up today, even better than a lot of CGI today such as in the CGI in The Thing 'prequel'

To this day I cannot and will not ever watch Jurassic park again! I seen the 2nd one when I was a kid. My younger cousin was bought it for Christmas and I walked in just as the boxer dog was getting eaten. I sat in the kitchen crying for near on 2 hours and didn't open my presents I was so upset I wouldn't go back into the living room. My mum spent the whole of the next day trying to convince me that dinosaurs are definitely all dead and gone. Every now and then my father in law puts it on just to piss me off.

I introduced my daughter to some mild horror with Coraline this week. My other half thinks I'm evil for putting it on for her because "The other mother" even freaked him out! Georgia my 3 year old on the other hand loved it. She did watch the odd scene through her fingers but she wanted to watch it again the next day so couldn't have been that bad. Think I have a little horror fan in the making big_smile

Last edited by UltraViolence (2012-04-26 16:09:28)

ChainSaW80 wrote:

Fire in the Sky. Nothing freaked me out more as a kid than aliens, sounds silly now I suppose but I watched X-Files a lot and that show Sightings. When I seen the tv ads for Fire in the Sky and "based on true events" I was so freaked out I didn't watch the movie until almost 20 years later (watched it a few months ago).

Fire In The Sky IS a science-fiction horror film. I even heard that Close Encounters of The Third Kind is also horror. Never got the chance to watch it thou.

my wedding video smile

^
Jeez. What did u do go to the wedding party in REC 3. lol

No, but you should see the missus smile

Scarface gave me nightmares, its the only movie that ever has

I've still never fully recovered from the scare the wheelers from Return To Oz gave me when I first watched that film aged 5.

They haunt my dreams to this day!

Oh, I forgot about Coraline, watched that one for the fun of it and was definitely disturbed by the Other Mother.  What a piece of work (shudder)!  Also, the scene in Pinocchio where the boys are changing into donkeys, their cries just broke my heart!

A Lost Boy wrote:
ChainSaW80 wrote:

Fire in the Sky. Nothing freaked me out more as a kid than aliens, sounds silly now I suppose but I watched X-Files a lot and that show Sightings. When I seen the tv ads for Fire in the Sky and "based on true events" I was so freaked out I didn't watch the movie until almost 20 years later (watched it a few months ago).

Fire In The Sky IS a science-fiction horror film. I even heard that Close Encounters of The Third Kind is also horror. Never got the chance to watch it thou.

Nah, Close Encounters is not a horror film in any form. It's just Science Fiction, nothing more, nothing less.

ok let's set this up.  I'm 6 years old.  My family is getting together for the day and my Dad uses his TWO VHS players to transfer a brand new copy of The Exorcist for my Uncle.  Back in the day, the movie had to run while the other recorded the transfer(for those who forgot).  Anways,  The TV was shut off for obvious reasons but I was unaware of what the exorcist was.  The cover to that movie is very deceiving.  Long story short, I turn on the TV and it's the scene with Regan on the bed with the cross...I was literally shocked.  By 10 years old, I had watched most of the horror classics at that time.

I just noctied that the thread is for NON-horror movies...my bad...enjoy the above slice of life for what it is...

Spice World...

hey man, im thinking but i dont think any movie ever made me plop out
chunks of shit onto my diapers or anything like that. but i remember'
this movie peewee herman & large marge was scary. check it out here
i found the large marge part on utube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RryZV8NK9-Q
scary as hell when i was a young lad. it might not of made me shit
but it may have made a trickel of pis run down my leg.
ehe, no im just kiddin about the pis you guys. i always pis in the toilet bowl
or outside in the snow.

but i think it would be hystarical if one of yous had diareea shit blastin all spray.
lol

Last edited by jr_mints (2012-10-26 09:31:28)

Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984)

No comment.

The Sound of Music. 
I'm being serious.  Every time Vampy puts that in, I'm off to the hinterlands.  I want to punch the TV at every... freaking... song!
And Singing in the Rain is one of my favorite movies, so it's not a musical thing (I own Les Mis, Miss Saigon, & Phantom soundtracks).

Dreamscape wasn't a horror movie but it does have horror elements.
The snakeman from the movie.
http://www.roberthood.net/reviews/images/dreamscape.gif