Topic: SL8N8 (Slaughter Night) A Dutch-horror treat

I have to take a second to talk about my latest film review, SL8N8 aka Slaughter Night.  I had never seen a horror film coming from Netherlands, so I decided to take a chance and check me out some Dutch horror.  I was pleasantely suprised with my first foray into the Dutch horror world.  Yeah it's filled with typical slasher cliches, but overall was a very technically sound, exciting film with good gore that can just be enjoyed for it's entertainment value. Check out my full review to see what I'm talking about: http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_reviews_2697.htm

Here is the trailer for SL8N8 used for Toronto After Dark festival 2006.  It doesnt have captions, but thankfully this version doesnt have much talking.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSQQiiipYM8[/youtube]

Re: SL8N8 (Slaughter Night) A Dutch-horror treat

See jmh. I told you it was a pretty good movie. I'm glad you liked it.

Looks pretty badass.  I'll have to check it out one of these days.

I may have a Dutch last name, but I was unaware they were pumpin out entertaining horror films.

And BDD, I loved the shovel kill.  Good stuff!  tongue

It definitely has some cool scenes in the movie. Hey you never know what type of horror movies are out there from different countries. There could still be other ones out there that we would be surprised to find out. Pretty much we could have a 50/50 chance of it could be good or really crappy. But what is out that so far, we haven't been disappointed. Especially j-horror.

Last edited by BlackDeathDamien (2007-09-03 10:58:54)

The one thing I didnt like about SL8N8 though was the cover of the DVD.  Not only was there no girl in any type of red hodded outfit, but there also wasnt any females who got their hands on a shotgun.....so the cover of the DVD is misleading.....wonder why they went that way with it

I also found that like the abbreviated J-horror, dutch films have been labeled Nether-Horror

I may go ahead and check out another Dutch film I found called "De Lift".  Looks good.

I gotta see this film.;)

I'm with RIP on this one. This looks bad ass.

Last edited by ResidentEvilRising (2007-09-03 11:43:46)

Hmmmm that is interesting. Yeah i do wonder why they ended up putting that one girl on the cover. Yeah but pretty much most of the times, the covers of movies don't necassarily make up the movie. I think all it was for marketing gimmicks. Just to promote the movie and have people want to buy it.

I think i am going to have to do a search on dutch films. Lets see if they are good or not.

damn, i need to see this

Between SL8N8 and Sheitan, Tartan Video has put out some good non-asian foreign horror.  I have to try and see their release of Bad Blood which is from Portugal and H6: Diary of a Serial Killer from Spain.  Hopefully I will have just as much successs with them.

And BDD I found a few other dutch horrors.  De Lift, Necrophobia, and Amsterdamned which sound good, Horizonica which sounds alright and Doodeind which I dont think sounds great.

It's possible you may know the film De Lift from it's terrible English language adaptation "Down" aka "The Shaft" with Naomi Watts.  I've read that De Lift is much much better.

Here's a good article on the current state of Nederhorror
http://au.news.yahoo.com/060912/11/10i7h.html

The problem I found while looking into Dutch horror is that most the articles I found are in Dutch....thats of no help to me.  lol

Thanks jmh. I'll definitely be looking into those movies for sure and if i could read Dutch, it would be such a good article. But with no Dutch heritage in me, it doesn't help.

The link I posted was in English.  It was one of the few I found that was in english.

Oh that's cool. I'll definitely read it. Thanks

Hey that is a pretty good article and quite interesting too.

I watched Slaughter Night yesterday and thought it was a pretty cool slasher style film. Kinda reminded me of Evil Dead meets My Bloody Valentine. I liked the storyline for the killer in it.

Thanks Justin, you peaked my interest with that review, Nether-Horror, good stuff, keep those reviews coming, they do sway my opinion on whether I will watch a certain unproven movie or not.

^Glad to hear you enjoyed it Rip.  I figured you would.  How bout that kill with the shovel?  Good stuff!

TDSR, glad you enjoy the reviews.  For foreign or indie horror I like to post these little threads about the film and include the trailer.  I love promoting foreign films because I dont feel people give them enough of a chance.

jmh314 wrote:

^Glad to hear you enjoyed it Rip.  I figured you would.  How bout that kill with the shovel?  Good stuff!

Yeah, that was the best kill scene in it and reminded me of the kill scene in the tree in Wrong Turn.

Pretty damn good movie. When the girl gets her head blown off with the shotgun though i have to say the brain matter looks like spaghettios

waveofmutilation77 wrote:

Pretty damn good movie. When the girl gets her head blown off with the shotgun though i have to say the brain matter looks like spaghettios

Maybe they really used Spaghetti-o's  That would be hilarious!  It was probably spaghetti-o's mixed with raw groundbeef

waveofmutilation77 wrote:

Yep, damn good film. And I was gonna say that the brain matter looked like cooked ground chicken.

I found the plot to have far too many elements stuffed into to it -  a masked killer, undead, siege, a little of everything but not enough of each. Each scenario is set up and abandoned and even the mythos of the intense opening scene never pays off.

The kills all seemed to reference other horror movies, too much homage and not enough oiriginality. The shovel kill is lifted from Romero's DAY OF THE DEAD, the shotgun head MANIAC or DAWN OF THE DEAD etc.

I'd forgive all the homages if the story held together.

I love this flick. Very entertaining with some good gore effects. That's about all I ask for.