Re: Getting to know each other

A professional footballer or a pilot, too bad I was crap at footy and finding out I was colour blind with red and green put paid to my hopes of becoming a pilot!!!

Same Q

Basically some kind of computer guy.

Worked out well until the IT bubble broke twice and the economy tanked.

An English teacher.  I'd still love to be one, but the plans you make for yourself in your youth rarely come to pass once life gets in the way. hmm

Same Q

I wanted to be an archaeologist, then a writer, then a lawyer, now I'm all up in the air! I would love to write for a living, but I'd also love to be a primary school teacher

Same Q

^^
I think you'd make a good teacher.  But it's also easier to self-publish nowadays (ebooks and such), so you could do that, too.  Or both.  Teacher by day, writer by night, zombie slayer on the weekends (except holidays).  big_smile

As much as I'm afraid of them, a dentist. Go figure...

Same Q

Yeah, on holidays I'll tackle vampires and werewolves too!

Thanks man, I've always loved writing but recently working with kids has made me feel like that's a career I would really enjoy

Besides being an excellent monkey groomer, there are few things more important than being a good parent and/or a good teacher.

I wanted to be a special effects artist but I figured it to be too hard to actually make a living at it.  More likely I'd be doing straight make-up in drama plays.  So I decided to go with something a bit more tangible.

Don't know if this question has been asked before (and I'm certainly not going to trawl through 456 pages to find out lol) but...
What first got you into the horror genre?
My earliest horror memories are of being in my local video shop and looking up at the 'forbidden films' on the top shelf, then watching a pirate video of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre with my mates which was banned at that time in England, since then I've never looked back. I have many many fond reflections of my first encounters with horror movies.

What first attracted you to the horror genre?

A little video rental shop around here called Video Junction, they never checked the tapes so I'd switch them out into things I could rent on my own. For my very first glimpse of horror though I saw Gremlins the night before I started preschool. And then the next year my family had a horror marathon and I sat through Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Amityville Horror, Child's Play, and Nightmare on Elm Street. Been hooked ever since

^^I did post a story, improperly, in the thread about non-horror movies that scrared the crap out of you. That's a big part of it.  I also remember seeing those videotapes in the horror section with ridiculous titles and promises of the ''most terryfying thrill ride you'll ever dare to watch''....those posters and cover graphics drew me right in at a seriously young age.  Monster Squad was my favorite movie as a kid.

Same Question, it's a good one.

@jugchord - yeah, Gremlins was a major influence on me too. I was about 5 when I first watched that with my two older sisters and it really struck a chord with me. Gremlins always makes me feel like a little kid again. I adore that film.

@JackBurton - ditto with Monster Squad and those lurid covers and posters that horror films used to have. I miss the days when horror had its own section in the shops.

( original) Night Of The Living Dead; I was just a young-un and passed by my older brothers room. I looked inside his room, and he was watching NOTLD. I watched it for a few minutes before getting so scared that I left. I was intrigued and scared by the images, yet at the same time I was also thrilled with the emotions that it brought out in me. After that I started watching shows on t.v like: The Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, etc...

Same Q

the hammer horror films from the 60's & 70's, although i look back on these and realise how terrible some are.
First film that shook me up was The Beast in the Cellar, i must have been 10 or 11 at the time. Watched some of it a couple of years back and wondered what on earth could have shook me up so much smile
I guess some people, including me, enjoy the shock factor.

same q

Last edited by wkdblue (2012-10-29 06:47:12)

my mom told me when I was 5 I used to sit and watch Child's Play and laugh when people got killed. I remember watching one of the NOES  movies form my bedroom door way when I was about 9 and it scared the hell out of me. After that I didn't watch horror for years because my mom said it went against the bible or something like that. So when I did start watching again I dove in head first and watched Hostel and Silent hill I was about 15 or 16 then I haven't stopped watching since. Now though its more about finding something that scares me.

What horror movie truly scares/ scared you?

Last edited by revengebiteme (2012-10-30 00:40:30)

first film that scared me was The Beast in the Cellar back in the 70's, i was only about 10.
As a grown up i've yet to watch a film that truly scared the crap out of me but i did find The Others and The Grudge quite spooky.

same q

Last edited by wkdblue (2012-10-30 08:08:56)

I don't really know.  I remember seeing the original King Kong and Phantom of the Opera when I was six or seven; saw The Sentinel '77 and it terrified me, but not nearly as bad as when I saw Halloween when I was ten.  So I never really sought out horror flicks and was more a fan of the old Universal Stuff and the b-movies I'd see on the Saturday night creature features which gave me a good excuse to stay up late as a kid.  But then when I was 15 or 16 my best friend, who WAS a hardcore horror buff, invited me over for the weekend and we spent three days watching nothing but gory 70s and 80s horror movies, and it was from that point on that I was hooked and started watching everything horror-related I could get my hands on.

So more than anything I guess it was more a gradually learned behavior which became an attraction than a single incident or movie which really drew me in.

Same Q

When I was kid I watched a lot of Universal and Hammer on TV.  At one point I ended up having a serial dream about a vampire for like 2 weeks.  Had a plot and everything.  So I'm going to have to go with those, since few movies have ever caused a nightmare since.

I pass the Q on.

The first time I watched the Shining, I remember really being creeped out.  The Scene with Jack and the Ghost in the bathtub, the scene with the dead girls in the hallway...I must have been 9 years old and it was my pick for video rental night..

new Q.  What was a Nightmare you had that really stuck with you?

See my previous post above.

Passing on the Q.

(Not a nightmare, but very annoying- the school dream where you're late, can't find the room, realized you didn't study, etc.  The worst part is that it's been years, plus I'd need to go for a Ph.D to go back to school.  I wake up, think for a second and think, "You're not in school, dumbass."  lol  )

Last edited by azathoth (2012-10-30 15:47:29)

i can't recall the full dream/nightmare i just recall my mum slouched by the back door with no eyes, also one night i was sleeping in my vw camper and i was dreaming i was stuck in a drainage pipe, feeling very claustrofobic and banging on the grating to try and get out. The banging must have woke me up and i found i had crawled to the back of the camper and was banging oon the door to get out. smile

Not my freakiest nightmare, but for sure one of the weirder sleep related events of my life.  I was out cmaping with some buddies and after we all decided to call it a night, I started having a hard time falling alseep. Really uncomfortable. After an hour, I really started feeling sick.  So I opened a window in my tent and could see a fire on a far away lot with women laughing around it.  I hallucinated that these women were witches and that they had cast a spell on me to make me sick...I remember yelling out to them and shouting curse words.  Finally, a nearby friend came in to check up on me and calm me down.  I was running 102 degree fever and had basically had a crazy fever dream..No drugs or alcohol were involved on this particular trip...After I started feeling better, I couldn't believe how Certain I was that those poor girls were Witches..