Re: Last Documentary You Watched?

Just watched the Cropsy doc. Jesus some aspects of the doc story are equally and extremely sad and disturbing. Specifically the Willowbrook State School. The footage of the 72 'expose' is about as disturbing as anything u can find a lot of horror films. What is truly shocking however is that no one has probed deeper into the events at the institution and its societal consequences for Staten Island, what it used to represent and how it was allowed to happen.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-08-14 06:06:42)

^^ That "school" absolutely horrified me. It really hit home for me because I have a daughter with Autism.

With Great Power: The Stan Lee Story.

Screaming in High Heels: The Rise and Fall of the Scream Queen Era.

Eyes of the Mothman.

2.5 hours of lots of history.  Not much spookiness in the film, but many things to ruminate about.  If you're interested in the Mothman legend, a good watch; those less interested probably not so much.

Finally got around to checking out a documentary Azzie recommended to me months ago called Resurrect Dead, about mysterious tiles found initially around Philadelphia and as far west as Kansas, imbedded into roadways, sidewalks and other suched paved throughways. 

It was definitely one of the more interesting docs I've seen in quite some time, and while I think the mystery is definitively solved -- the tiler is discovered to be a man named Sery Verna whose pathology screams "paranoid delusional" to me -- it still remains a fascinating case.  Verna himself is a shut-in we never get to see, a highly intelligent but cripplingly sensitive man too timid to answer his door but crafty enough to have created a simple yet cunningly effective way to publicize his personal obsession/message. 

And what is his message?  That the molecules of every person who has ever died can be "resurrected" and returned to life on the planet Jupiter, and that we must kill every journalist so they can't prevent us from doing so.

Hey, I did say "paranoid delusional."

Great doc, Azzie.  Thanks for recommending it.

Howard Zinn: You Can't Be Neutral

"The Making Of...200 Motels"
Religulous (re-watch)

Zoo, crazy doco about a guy who died letting his horse make sweet sweet love to him. Stranger still are the people they talk to because they also love horses and there almost on his side. As i said crazy

^  Wow...thought you were making that up!  big_smile

Zoo (film)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zoo is a 2007 documentary film based on the life and death of Kenneth Pinyan aka Mr.Hands, an American man who died of peritonitis due to perforation of the colon after engaging in receptive anal sex with a horse. The film's public debut was at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2007, where it was one of 16 winners out of 856 candidates. Following Sundance, it was selected as one of the top five American films to be presented at the prestigious Directors Fortnight sidebar at the 2007 Cannes Film Festival.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoo_(film)

^^^^^

L lol O lol L lol

If you love absurdity, how can you dislike a man like MR. HANDS. Fantastic.

I've learned to truly love this world now. Thank you for that post, Ghosty & pcow. tongue

Edit - The doc. is actually on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzaD97OslAs

Edit 2 - Sorry, I was in a bit of a morbid mood when I posted this.

Last edited by The Creature (2012-09-19 19:29:36)

Yesterday I checked out With Great Power: The Stan Lee story.  Good doc on Lee going all the way back to when he worked for Timely Comics (which would eventually become Marvel Comics) and detailing his rise to fame.  Some of the best parts are the at-home bits with he and his wife of 60+ years.  Sweet and touching at times.  8/10

And just a few minutes ago I finished Hype!, a documentary about the growth and eventual corporate/consumer milking of "grunge" music and the "Seattle sound."  Interviews with primarily obscure bands (mostly those who were overlooked when the nation's eye turned to Seattle after the explosion of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc.) but there are a few more well-known interviewees (Eddie Vedder, Kim Thayal and a couple others).  Not nearly as inclusive as I'd read it to be, but still a good doc overall. 7/10

Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown.
I knew most of the stuff, but it was fun listening to the various people he influenced. 
8/10 for me, probably not so much for non-fans.

The Six Degrees of Helter Skelter (2008)

Fall From Grace (2007) - A documentary on Fred Phelps & his Westboro Baptist Church. It was quite interesting, learning about Phelps' violent background through the voices of his own children (who weren't part of the church). A good watch, indeed. 8/10

Has anyone seen a recent doc called The Splat Pack?  About horror filmmakers of the new millenium such as Alexandre Aja, Rob Zombie, James Wan, Eli Roth (no accounting for taste) and several others.  I've been looking for a copy to download but no luck.  If anyone's seen it, share some info.  If you've got a link, PM me.  Thank ya.

smile

Nightmares in Red, White and Blue

Machete Maidens Unleashed (2010).  Interesting and entertaining doc about the mad boom of exploitation filmmaking in the Phillipines in the 60s and 70s.  Lots of good stuff here, plenty of anecdotes and enlightening comments from the likes of Joe Dante, John Landis, Jack Hill, Sid Haig, Roger Corman and a number of starlets who appeared in those films including Pam Grier and many others.  If you're a fan of those whacky 'women in jungle prison" flicks or low-budget war movies from the period -- or just exploitation flicks in general -- it's worth checking out.

^^
Sounds like a good one.  Thanks for the heads up!  smile

Beauty is Embarising and Jason Becker-Not Dead Yet

Lemmy

Will be checking out American Grindhouse later today.

An in-depth doc. from the History Channel on Albert Einstein
BBC's Extreme Astronomy

BBC's Special on Richard Dawkins
The Quantum Universe
Inside LSD

2016 Obama's America