Re: Horror Sequels Better Than The Original

I think at least Alien was a sci-fi horror movie. Predator not so much. Sure people die in gory fashion, but it's really just more of an action flick.

I always considered the Alien and Predator movies to be at least part-Horror. Alien is mainly Science Fiction and Predator is mainly Action, but both definitely have strong elements and aspects of Horror to them.

Chomper wrote:

I think it's a bit of a stretch to class Aliens, or any of the Predator movies, as horror.

Totally Agree.

Back on the subject of superior Horror sequels, one I go back and forth on is Child's Play 2. 1 and 2 are very close for my favorite of the series.

I also remembered The Silence Of The Lambs (sequel to Manhunter), though I've seen it debated if it's truly a sequel.

I'm really surprised how many people prefer Hellbound over Hellraiser, I've gotta go with Hellraiser on that one.

I'd say Ghoulies II and Silent Night Deadly Night Part 2 are better than the originals.

^^ "Garbage day!"

60053 wrote:

I'm really surprised how many people prefer Hellbound over Hellraiser, I've gotta go with Hellraiser on that one.

I'd say Ghoulies II and Silent Night Deadly Night Part 2 are better than the originals.

I much prefer the first Hellraiser as well.

@600-
I prefer Hellbound because it has a larger scene to work on, plus it elaborates on the the whole mythos.  I agree that Hellraiser was a groundbreaking movie, and I think it is excellent.  I just liked the expanded universe theme in Hellbound a tiny bit more.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-11-02 14:11:25)

azathoth wrote:

@600-
I prefer Hellbound because it has a larger scene to work on, plus it elaborates on the the whole mythos.  I agree that Hellraiser was a groundbreaking movie, and I think it is excellent.  I just liked the expanded universe theme in Hellbound a tiny bit more.

I can definitely see that. I do like the expanded Hellraiser universe quite a bit (the new comic book series in particular). I just feel that Hellbound wasn't executed very well, especially during the third act. Dr. Chanard's one-liners just really sour it for me and the movie just seems a bit rushed towards the end.

^^
I can see that; they took way too much time bringing back Julia.  What do you think about Hellraiser 4?  The space stuff was obviously stupid, but the section with the backstory?

azathoth wrote:

^^
I can see that; they took way too much time bringing back Julia.  What do you think about Hellraiser 4?  The space stuff was obviously stupid, but the section with the backstory?

I like Bloodline. I really don't have a problem with the space aspect of the story, I think my main gripe with it would be that overall it's a pretty slow movie. That being said, of the 4 "original" (i.e. before Inferno) movies I think Bloodline is my second favorite.

^^
What, not #3?  lol  I see you have some refined sensibilities.  The only reason I had a problem with #4 was that it seemed like 2 movies smooshed together.  I get the past/future contrast, but I could see each half being it's own movie, rather than the next 3 poop-tasticles we got to see (I didn't think #8 sucked, even though it was light on the mythos).

azathoth wrote:

^^
What, not #3?  lol  I see you have some refined sensibilities.  The only reason I had a problem with #4 was that it seemed like 2 movies smooshed together.  I get the past/future contrast, but I could see each half being it's own movie, rather than the next 3 poop-tasticles we got to see (I didn't think #8 sucked, even though it was light on the mythos).

Hell On Earth is entertaining in it's own right. What's not to love about CD Man and Camerahead? I quite like Inferno, Hellseeker, and Deader although I can definitely see why most fans don't. At the very least, they are well made movies which isn't something you can say for the 5th, 6th, and 7th installments of most franchises (I'm looking at you Puppet Master).

The problem with Inferno and Hellseeker is that you can tell they were movies already made, but then tacked on some Hellraiser stuff to put into the franchise.  Even Deader may have been made that way.

Don't get me wrong, I love the franchise.  But Inferno was basically Troll 2- a movie that was made, and some was tacked on and a new name applied.  Hell on Earth just numbed me out with the whole dad and dimensional thing going on.  I won't even go into how far off the rails Full Moon went- to think they went from Trancers, Subspecies, orig Puppet Master to Shrieker... shaking my head.

I hope you hang around here- I like your style.

edit- you may want to get in on our Skype conversations, too.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-11-02 16:44:12)

azathoth wrote:

...I hope you hang around here- I like your style.

edit- you may want to get in on our Skype conversations, too.

Thanks, hopefully I will be sticking around.

60053 wrote:

I can definitely see that. I do like the expanded Hellraiser universe quite a bit (the new comic book series in particular). I just feel that Hellbound wasn't executed very well, especially during the third act. Dr. Chanard's one-liners just really sour it for me and the movie just seems a bit rushed towards the end.

I definitely agree. I felt Channard's one-liners and hammy overacting combined with showing far too much of the Labrynth hurt Hellbound for me. I much prefer the original Hellraiser.

Now I'm tempted to go watch some Hellraiser movies...

Well, after watching Prom Night 2, gotta say that it was much better than the first movie (even though they feel so different).

It's been forever since I last watched the Hellraisers and I still haven't seen the last three (Hellworld, Deader and Revelations).

^^
Hellworld isn't bad.  Deader is "ehh."  And I actually haven't seen Revelations yet; odd.

edit- just added it to my Netflix queue.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-11-03 21:24:06)

Revelations seems really bad from not only the reviews but also the trailer.

I'll put up a quicky review here by tomorrow, assuming I don't fall asleep during it tonight, lol .

Here is my review of Hellraiser: Revelations.

2 words- it sucked.

^^ Well it sure ain't better than the other sequels.

^^ That's what my stupid friend says.

Last edited by A Lost Boy (2012-11-04 09:43:35)

^^
In my opinion, this was the worst one.  When Pinhead is acting like some girly boy, you know you messed up (new actor playing Pinhead).  Vampy more or less laughed at him; he might as well have been a dog's squeaky toy.