Topic: Remember the colorized versoin of Night of the Living Dead?

About 10 years ago there was unofficially a DVD released mostly in stores like FYE of a colorized and extended edition of George Romero's Night of the Living Dead that involved more stuff such as a preacher going around ranting and raving with the local cops and the news reporters. That and the cemetary ghoul there was some extra stuff about that too.

I think its time for a newer special anniversary DVD and Blu Ray for that colorized version of Romero's Night of the Living Dead. Agree?

I remember reading about it all the time on the internet years ago.

Re: Remember the colorized versoin of Night of the Living Dead?

I saw part of it, didn't like the colorization.  It just seemed weird after growing up with it in black and white.  Kind of like the colorized Plan 9.

Yeah, I nicked it years ago - it's a flaming disgrace. No, it should never see a wide DVD release as it's unneccessary and annoying.

The colorized version was fairly well colored. I didn't enjoy it as the black and white original though.

Yeah the colorized version loses some of the mystique of it all. The black and white gave it that gritty, news reel feel. Fondest memories come from the B&W version.

^^ There is two versions I think. One old, one modernized.

The re-color just can't match up with the quality of the original black & white.

There's an anniversary version with more newly filmed footage. But I don't even bring that one up because I just find it much worse than the other. So, I decided not to include it. Or if you meant the remake as the modernized version then no I'm not counting it here either.

The 1968 version is stronger in it's absolute original form.

^^ I'd prefer the original version but I don't want to own NOTLD on DVD because now they show it everytime on tcm.

If you're in the collecting spirit I think it's necessary for a collection. It's one of those groundbreaking films.

^^ I'd like to have Dawn, it's remake, Day, Night's remake and sadly... Land... (but it has Asia in it!)

^^
I like Land more than most.  But then I like Ghosts of Mars, so take that as you will.

^^ I heard that Ghost of Mars was a ridiculous film.

Ghosts of Mars is a fun movie. But I like Land a lot. I think it's a smart movie that kind of gets shelved to the side, much like Day used to, but it deserves better.

Night of the Living Dead just isn't Night of the Living Dead if it isn't in its original black and white form.

The color just made it...wrong. lol

Mr. Black I am talking about the original Night of the Living Dead movie. Years ago  FYE was selling VHS movies along with DVDs and lo and behold there was a colorized release of the movie and IMDB.com even lists some of the extra stuff  in the movie such as a priest that rants and raves and some more stuff involving the cop with the bullets on his body.  I would have loved to buy that DVD back then and just watch it for the hell of it. It wasnt hurting anyone if you were really a fan of the old Romero NOTLD movie. It was in color that's all with a little bit of extra old footage put back in the movie on purpose by some folks who wanted to see more of the movie.

Who knows, maybe Romero wanted that version of the movie released for VHS and or DVD years ago while the DVD ended up in retail mostly at FYE anyway.

^^
For convoluted reasons, Romero lost the right to Night.

Anyhoo-
Amazon link to the colorized version.

YouTube used to have it until Weintein Co. somehow claimed copyright on it (go and try and figure that shit out).

Last edited by azathoth (2012-11-05 02:19:19)

I liked Land of the Dead, I just don't think it was quite as good as the it's three pedecessors. They all follow a logical path of the Zombie's evolution as well as man's adaptability. I even liked Diary of the Dead, though it's sort of a reboot, great cast, and a great take on the whole"found footage" thing. i haven't seen Survival of the Dead yet, what's the consensus on it?

Last edited by Theli (2012-11-05 14:36:58)

Of Romero's three latest Dead flicks, I like Land of the Dead the most.  A great cast with some great acting (especially John Leguizamo and Dennis Hopper), some memorable splat-gags and I love Romero's not-so-subtle stabs at the Bush administration.  I'd go 7/10.

I still like Land of the Dead but there are some things that  bother me.

Dennis Hopper stuck out like a sore thumb. He really shouldnt havent  been chosen for the movie. He felt out of place etc.

That and the hyped up appearance of Asia whatshername in the movie. She's the daughter of Argento or whatever.

Other than that the rest of Land of the Dead movie was great withi the zombie gas station attendant and the silly cameo of Simon Pegg as Shaun turned into a zombie.

urrutiap wrote:

That and the hyped up appearance of Asia whatshername in the movie. She's the daughter of Argento or whatever.

Yeah I forget what her name is too.

Romero just screened the original NOTLD in Toronto in 35mm.  It was the same version I have always seen and not colourized.   I am guessing this is how he wanted it to be shown or they would have screened a director's version of it.  I loved seeing it on the big screen because I noticed a lot more of the background details that way.  Pretty sure all those boards were pre-drilled.  They went on way too easy...lol

^ I'd really like to see it on the big screen sometime, that's cool.

I don't really care about the color since I don't have to watch it. I own a color version of The Last Man on Earth and I think it looks pretty good.

And as for the Land discussion, I had no idea who Asia Argento was. She was pretty good in the movie though. I've watched Land a bunch of times and really like it. It doesn't really feel much higher than a 7/10, but then again some of my favourite movies aren't 9s or 10s.

I'd really like Romero to do at least one more movie, just to get the bad taste of Survival away (might as well be blunt about it - it sucks).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063350/alternateversions

•The 30th Anniversary Edition from Anchor Bay Entertainment removes 15 minutes of footage from the original film and inserts 15 minutes of new footage shot especially for this edition. George A. Romero was not involved with this version. The newly-shot scenes include the following:◦A new opening sequence in which two graveyard workers bring the body of an executed child murderer to the cemetery. The parents of the murdered child are waiting at the cemetery, along with a priest, to view the murderer's body before it is buried. Before the body can be buried, it returns to life and begins attacking the group. This is the same zombie who is later seen wandering the cemetery and attacking Barbra and Johnny.
◦A scene where the victims of a recent car accident return to life as zombies. Three of the car's occupants, a mother and two daughters, return to life and begin wandering down the street, while the fourth victim, the father, is eaten by another group of zombies who come across the accident. One of the prominent zombies during this scene is a one-armed waitress zombie, who appears again later.
◦A few brief new shots of zombies wandering around outside the farm house, including the waitress zombie and the mother and daughters from the car accident scene.
◦A new scene where the priest from the beginning of this version of the film is interviewed by a TV reporter while local townspeople are hunting zombies in the background. During the interview, the priest is attacked by a zombie and bitten on the cheek.
◦A new ending sequence in which the TV reporter goes to a medical center to visit the priest, who has survived his zombie attack. The priest claims that the reason he did not become one of the undead is because he was been chosen by God. He continues by saying that the zombies are actually demons from hell, occupying human bodies, and that all dead bodies should be crucified. The TV reporter becomes frightened by the priest's ramblings and leaves the room. This release of the film is controversial among fans, and should not be considered the definitive version of the film

Told you so that the colorized version had some extra stuff which I just listed here

OK so if George Romero back then wasn't involved with the filming of the extra scenes that didn't make it then who filmed the extra scenes which would have made the original Night of the Living Dead movie a little better?

Even in black and white I would have loved to see that scene of the reporter and the priest and the priest getting bit on the cheek