Topic: What "scenes" would you change in a horror movie?

I know there have been certain scenes in movies that I have said to myself  " I think that scene would have been more effective if...?"

Let's say you had the chance to change a scene/event in a horror movie? Who dies? Who lives? How the movie ends? etc...

What movie scene(s) would you change? And why?

Last edited by Underdog (2012-11-10 13:46:56)

Re: What "scenes" would you change in a horror movie?

Well I would have kept the Child's Play 2 alternate ending where Chucky's leftover blood spills in to the vat that forms the other dolls, hinting that clones were being made. I think it would have made a great cliffhanger, and I think it would have made for a great Child's Play sequel.

Every movie with happy ending in it. I know, it may sound cynical but isn't it what horror is all about? Suffering!

Oh, and I'd also like to see a horror movie where the black guy actually lives.

Anytime a car decides to stop working for no reason.
Anytime cellphones stop working for no reason.
Teleporting killers.

Basically anything that appears in this list.  (Thanks to Jabootu)  Here I'm referring to "It's In The Script" and "Offscreen Teleporting."

Xytras wrote:

Every movie with happy ending in it. I know, it may sound cynical but isn't it what horror is all about? Suffering!

I don't know about every horror movie, but more tragic endings would be cool.

**Spoiler**
Then why did everyone bitch about the ending of Cabin in the Woods!

**End Spoiler**

The hand from behind scene where someone's friend comes up from behind them, reaches there hand out slowly, and grabs their shoulder.  We are supposed to think it was the killer.  Its never scary.  People generally don't go around doing that unless they are trying to scare you.  I hate it.

azathoth wrote:

**Spoiler**
Then why did everyone bitch about the ending of Cabin in the Woods!

**End Spoiler**

I dug the ending smile

Ghostseeker wrote:

The hand from behind scene where someone's friend comes up from behind them, reaches there hand out slowly, and grabs their shoulder.  We are supposed to think it was the killer.  Its never scary.  People generally don't go around doing that unless they are trying to scare you.  I hate it.

Were you in charge, what would you have changed?

Azzy said it and I'll elaborate.  When people don't get cell reception or magically power goes out or their car won't start.  Forget that.  I want people's things to work to give them a false sense of hope!

Dog - I would just not have those stupid scare attempts in the movie.  For some reason it seems many movies go out of their way to not be scary.

It always annoys me when I watch 28 Days Later. Drag to see below.

at just how badly planned and stupid the US military is in handling the containment situation. Like in one scene where we see a soldier who was supposed to guard the Kids Mum just dead on the floor. You would think with a maniac coming at him would make him shoot but, no he must have been tieing his shoes. Or how they herd everyone into a dark locked room when they know the virus had got out but didn't see fit to lock all of the doors into the holding area properly. Or how the husband was just allowed to walk into the room with the Kids Mum, his wife even though she was contaminated with the virus. Or how a Apache helicopter seems to be able to find 1 car with people in it but doesn't seem to bother to engage with the hundreds of infected running around the city.

WTF!

I'm not just wanting you all to elaborate on cliches and what irks you in horror movies. I would like to hear on how you would change the scene? What you would do differently? Pick a movie(s) and tell us what you would have done differently?

Last edited by Underdog (2012-11-04 14:51:27)

Vas - That was 28 Weeks, not Days.  Not trying to be picky...but Days is one of may favorite movies.  smile

Ghostseeker wrote:

Vas - That was 28 Weeks, not Days.  Not trying to be picky...but Days is one of may favorite movies.  smile

U are indeed right, Sry for the typing error. My points still stands though, but i guess u gotta look at how bad the US messed up its invasion and occupation of Iraq in real life.

Sorry, SuperDog, my fault for derailing the convo. 
I got 3-
1) The army guys in 28 Days Later getting all rapey like.  At that point I wanted them all dead.  If they were stand up military, they would protect everyone, and it would have much more impact when they where overrun. The change: dick weasels to real men.

2) The moron in Dawn of the '04 with the baby.  Who the f' wants a zombie baby?  Put the zombie wife and baby down.  The change: dipshit to non-dipshit.

3) Grave Encounters- unscrew the stupid bars on the windows!  The bolts are on the inside!  I don't care if you left your wrench in the van, go find something else to use. The change: Instead of crying about it, go find some tools!

I'm sure there's tons of films I'd change in some way but the one that instantly leaps to mind is Wes Craven's ridiculous (and laughable) ending to A Nightmare on Elm Street where Nancy's mum gets pulled through the tiny window above the door. It's such a lame effect. Looks like a blow up doll getting dragged through a window. I can understand the makers paving the way for a sequel but that was just cheap. That's one thing I'd change and it almost sullied a perfectly good modern slasher yarn.

Keeping someone alive till the last 10-15 mins of a film.
Alright I can't explain why this drives me nuts.

There have been several movies I would have liked to change for the better.  Quite often they are very low budget movies with terrible dialogue.  The worst offenders are the groups of obnoxious teeneagers that are about to get slaughtered.  They always seem to be headed to a party or camping.  Sometimes the dialogue is so bad, you are wishing they would just get on with the killing already.

Alien.  I'd have Ripley say screw the cat and keep her ass on the escape shuttle.

John Dies at the End...

The movie was a fantastic Horror Comedy and I absolutely loved it up until the last 20 mins or so.  The ending was so cheesy!  I would love to change that ending into something much darker.

when I was in HS, some friends and I made a short movie based on the original NOTLD.  The variation was that everyone gets on the roof with the gun and picks off the slow-moving zombies from 100 yards away...At the time, that was a huge gripe we had when we watched the original Night of the Living Dead...after making our little movie..we realized how boring the premise is..

Fulcento wrote:

I'm sure there's tons of films I'd change in some way but the one that instantly leaps to mind is Wes Craven's ridiculous (and laughable) ending to A Nightmare on Elm Street where Nancy's mum gets pulled through the tiny window above the door. It's such a lame effect. Looks like a blow up doll getting dragged through a window. I can understand the makers paving the way for a sequel but that was just cheap. That's one thing I'd change and it almost sullied a perfectly good modern slasher yarn.

I remember them talking about the problem of the ending to the original NOES in the Never Sleep Again Doc. From what I remember they said that they were a bit embarrassed by the effect u are talking about, but it was perhaps due to their indecisiveness in choosing the right ending to the film (I believe they shot like 5 alternative endings or something like that in all).

This is not the only thing I would change in horror by a long shot, but my first thing would be:

I'd change groups of teenagers going off for the weekend into a group of literally anyone else. I hate it that it is always moronic teens. And if it has to be teenagers for the sake of the storyline, at least give them some brains. I would never again have: A pretty blonde, an athletic 'jock', any popular kids, any 'different' kids or any stoner kids or any slutty, horny kids, of either gender. And I bet I've missed even more out.

I'd put real kids in there, not stereotypes.