Topic: Asian horror cinema

I'm looking for some good recommendation for all non Japanese asian horror movies. The only ones I have seen are A Tale of Two Sisters (great) and The Host (okay, not really horror), both from Korea. I've never watched any Chinese horror movies (Riki Oh doesn't count) or Thai movies.

Re: Asian horror cinema

There's a Korean flick, I believe, called Momento Mori that was kinda cool if you want a different take on asian horror

BeDevilled is the best Asian film ive seen recently.

Shutter is Thai and I thought it was pretty good, good storyline & some great jumps & scares

Mystics of Bali
The Seventh Curse
Bio Zombie
The Japanese versions of Ringu, Ju-on, Pulse, and Mirrors (all much better than the US versions)
Tokyo Gore Police
Wild Zero

Lon will be able to give you some more.

Like I said I know that Japanese stuff pretty well, and am not a fan of their "tokyo gore" type stuff. Just vapid. But I do dig Ju-on, Ringu and their older ghost stories like Kwaidan etc.

Anyone seen Thirst? It's on netflix and has a pretty high rating.

^^
Sorry, missed the Japanese part.

More Thai-
The Eye (and Eye 2 and Eye 10- but haven't seen these)
Shutter

Korean-
R-Point

I could give you some Indian titles, but you would curse my name they're so bad.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-10-30 16:01:40)

Do they have dance sequences at the end?

Mr. Vampire
Encounter of the Spooky Kind 1 & 2
Peacock King
Wicked City (live action, not anime)
The Untold Story
Dr. Lamb
A Chinese Ghost Story
The Bride with White Hair (more action/romance with horror elements, but highly recommended anyway)
Jailhouse Eros
The Seventh Curse
The Heroic Trio
The Butterfly Murders
Dream Home
Hausu

Theli wrote:

Do they have dance sequences at the end?

No.

Here is the first part of Shaitani Dracula (YouTube link) for reference.

The original "haunted school girl" trilogy is awesome

Whispering Corridors, Memento Mori and Wishing Stairs. There were 2 others, but not as good.

R-Point is amazing. Definitely check that out.  I Saw The Devil is incredible.

Also check out, Three and Three... Extremes (released in America in reverse order, for some typically stupid reason)

Last edited by Zed_Chuva (2012-10-31 07:08:42)

Awesome, thanks for the tips everyone. I should have enough recommendations too suffice for a while.

R-point (korea) As mentioned - is a military horror kind of like the bunker and deathwatch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcrj0_1F5dg

The eye (Hong Kong)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoA6dxLeWFo

Shutter (Thailand)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwy8QSQliGk

Sars Wars (Thailand) - comedic action horror
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1qskrW0U34

4Bia (thailand) - anthology horror movie from thailand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy5YsWGYRoA

Maybe not classic horror but if you have never seen any chinese horror , you should go for
A chinese ghost story - the original , it's a classic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCU467dCA

Don't limit yourself to japanese only please. Other than "Audition" there are not too much to recommend IMO. I think S.Korea rules the world.

For pure horror I'd recommend: "APT" 2006 (as in apartment). Really creepy stuff.

For more of suspence/thriller with elements of horror, nothing beats "I Saw The Devil", "The Chaser", "Tell Me Something" "No Mercy"(not to be confused with Hollywood's one or two) and my absolute favorite"Voice"(2005). Its a part 4 of Whispering Corridors franchise if you familiar with any. All five parts are not really related other than a girls boarding school setting. Never thought I'd describe a horror movie as beautiful but this one is, if you're up for something different other than all out slash'n'thrash.

There's also Thai's "Shutter" is aewsome and as for chinese (Hong Kong), "The Eye" is pretty good as well.

This should get you started.

^^
Just a note- you may want to read the previous entries before posting.  No harm, no foul, just so you know what has been posted already.  smile

^
Sorry. Guess I did Faux Pas

^^
No worries, I do the same thing sometimes.  I pointed that out more so you didn't waste your time than anything else.  I've spent time coming up with nifty lists, and went back later and realized I wasted 10 minutes on something someone already posted. lol 
But if you feel strongly about a film, go ahead and reinforce the point with another listing of it.  We're not going to shut anyone down, I was just trying to be helpful. smile
I'm surprised you didn't mention R-Point, though.

edit- how were the last 3 parts of Whispering Corridors?  I've only seen the first 2.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-11-04 12:57:27)

^
Well, you already know how I feel about part 4 "Voice". Easily top five horror movie of all time asian or otherwise. Though most of asian movies do not fit as strictly horror, its way more than that. Part 3 "Wishing Stairs" comes as a second best to me of that franchise with cutest girls in it if you care. Part 5 "The Blood Pledge" I thought is a weakest. So there you go.

Last edited by Xytras (2012-11-04 13:22:07)

There's also a film called Someone Behind You (Voices) from 2007. I enjoyed that 1.

Thanks XY.  (Though cute girls aren't really a priority since I got the Vampy.)  I will stick them on my "To watch list."

Caught a new Korean film tonight.   The Curse of February 29th.  I wrote up a mini-review in the Last Horror Movie You Saw thread, but I'll put some info here.

A certain tollbooth has a curse that every February 29th someone gets killed.  Ghost/murder mystery type film.  Good acting, plot wanders a bit until the end ties it all up, and nice atmosphere and some good shock scares.

Recommended by a monkey.  8/10

^

Watched  that a few weeks ago. Yeah, wasn't too bad.

^^
No fair!  How am I supposed to give suggestions if you watch them first!  lol

The Screen at Kamchanod
I had trouble following this one since my subtitles were 3/4ths cut off.  (Watched it off Netflix)  It seems like some film makers/directors/actors watch a cursed film, ala Popcorn (1991), and stuff happens to them.
Since I couldn't really tell what was going on, I can't give it a proper rating.  It had good sound and nice visuals, but try and get a copy that has the subtitles NOT cut off.

I've never watched a subtitled movie on netflix, does that happen often?