Topic: Silent Night Deadly Night remake.

Well, it's been dragging its feet but the trailer is finally upon us:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhLw3GmHQqA

Re: Silent Night Deadly Night remake.

This looks like another completely derivative slasher. Based on that trailer, the only traits this "remake" seems to have in common with Silent Night, Deadly Night is half of the film's title and a killer in a Santa Claus outfit. In general, I am against remakes but ones like this are especially aggravating.

Trailer did nothing for me.  This movie is just...bbbblllllaaaahhhhh to me.  I haven't seen the original for over 25 years and don't remember too much of it.  Though I do own it n VHS so could give it a go.

Steven C. Miller is one of my fave directors, I can't wait to see this film:)

Must admit I'm torn about this one, on one hand and at first glance it seems to have ditched the campy kitsch appeal the original had and seems far too polished for my liking. I'm nae too chuffed about flamethrowers (!?) and Malcolm McDowell is a byword for shit these days. The trailer looks utterly generic and too clean for me.  Just like the new Evil Dead one.

But on the other it's Silent Night Deadly Night and I have a huge soft spot for the original and love Christmas based films in general so I'll pass judgement on this until I see the bloody film. All synapses are screaming PUNISH! But I'll wait and see.

I agree...trailer was generic.  Also, I don't remember seeing the original.  I did watch the the Maniac trailer on the news section and it looks pretty damn good.  I liked the original but putting Elijah Wood in it was a brilliant move.  He's going to bring a lot of depth

Finally, for once a remake that actually looks promising straight out of the gate. I love the original Silent Night, Deadly Night. I don't want a shot for shot remake, I hope they take stuff from the original and make it awesome in it's own way. I really am looking forward to this now. Plus, the Santa looks way more badass than in the original I think. I have questions though, like:

Is the back story of the original going to be there? Or are they just doing away with that?

It seems like they are going for the urban legend type of character. I really liked that trailer. I have a bit of faith now.

Gotta admit - the woodchipper kill looks like it could be fun! big_smile

Two words: Garbage Day.

^
Two words for you;
PUNISH

and

NAUGHTY!!!

JackBurton wrote:

I agree...trailer was generic.  Also, I don't remember seeing the original.  I did watch the the Maniac trailer on the news section and it looks pretty damn good.  I liked the original but putting Elijah Wood in it was a brilliant move.  He's going to bring a lot of depth

The original is a cult classic Jack - it's packed to the rafters with quotable lines, nipple impalements, its own theme tune (WITH lYRICS!) and the best decapitation-while-sledging-down-a-hill scene in the history of Christmas based slashers. I watch it every Christmas eve. It's truly amazing! big_smile

I haven't actually seen the original, so I'm adding that to my to watch list before this comes out. I love campy slashers

HorrorQueen17 wrote:

I haven't actually seen the original, so I'm adding that to my to watch list before this comes out. I love campy slashers

HQ - you've GOT to see the original, it's as camp as christmas and Linnea Quigley gets impale in a scene that will make you wince! It has the most deranged grandfather spouting off evil lines of dialogue and it's just sooo mean spirited it's hard not to love. big_smile

I highly recommend it.

Get it watched!!

Watch Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2 as well, it changes lives.

^
Heheh, yeah, it certainly made me reavaluate the days I take my bins out.

Oops, I just noticed that BASSI started this thread before me, I even commented on it! My bad BASSI. For further discussion please visit;
http://www.horror-movies.ca/Forum/viewt … p?id=30486

I'm DL'ing the first now, I'll let you know if I like it or not big_smile