Topic: Battle Royale V.S. The Hunger Games

So I guess mmost people already know the new The Hunger Games (2012) film that just came out March this year. It is an adaptation of author Suzanne Collins's novel of the same name. The main plot of the story is that there are children being forced to kill each other in an abandoned place or like place where there is nobody but the kids.
While being published, many readers sue because of the similarities (both movie and novel) between The Hunger Games and another work by author Koushun Takami named Battle Royale. Battle Royale was published before The Hunger Games a few years ago, and the film adaptation was made right after one year of it's publication. Aside from the book and the film, Battle Royale also ad itself a manga.
Until now there have been many comparings and votes for each books/films for their similarities.

If only to compare the movies I'd say that Battle Royale is much more violent than The Hunger Games.

So, while the R-rated Battle Royale goes for the PG-13-rated The Hunger Games. Which do you prefer better?

Me myself I prefer the Battle Royale because:

It is simply alot better and the whole movie put on it's main theme: action Not like The Hunger Games which spend half of the film on science-fiction stuffs.
Second that it is simply more wild, stronger and have more characters and probably also more dramatic.
Last but not least, it is more violent and way more scarier than Suzanne Collins.

So, what do you think between the both of them?

Re: Battle Royale V.S. The Hunger Games

I don't think you can compare them. They have similar themes but on a whole they are very different takes on a similar issue.

BR had a message to put across and was a satire with a subject matter than effects 99% of the world. The youth of today and how the lack of respect, jobs and are effected by a ravaged economy. The violence was done well but was very over the top and sometimes comedic. Kiriyama's character was fun and it was nice to have a truelly psychotic person there compared to the other characters who didn't want to kill and would rather be killed. Takeshi Kitano, a veteran of Japanese cinema, was cold, calculating but had a heart. A villain you can really feel sorry for. He loved those kids and it was them that turned on him first. I personally found this movie enjoyable, sometimes harrowing, fun and original.

I started a bit of mess with my own post some time ago.
http://www.horror-movies.ca/Forum/viewt … p?id=29436

WHO PUT THE HUNGER GAMES VOTE!? Huh

Last edited by A Lost Boy (2012-08-15 11:04:49)

I did! And I'm not ashamed. I'm very partial to The Hunger Games because I have such a love for the books. It's not that I didn't like Battle Royale, I did. It's difficult to really compare the two. Other than kids killing one another in an arena-like setting, they don't have much in common. Like UV said, BR is more about disaffected youth where as HG is about an oppressive government with a very defined caste system. I enjoyed both movies for different reasons, but I prefer The Hunger Games.

Haha yeah I agreed that The Hunger Games (the competition) was more organised than the Battle Royale. But that's kinda weird releasing those weird doggies out of nowhere

BR is my favourite film to come out of Japan. It's funny, gory, tragic and engrosing all at the same time. It didn't try to deny its own sillyness in parts. It didn't try and disguise the fact that it sometimes mocked itself. I've not seen THG nor read the books. I might give the books a go when I've finished the large pile of paper backs and the kindle library I've got to read because it sounds darker. I like my movies less watered down. I want to see something that's going to effect me.

When it comes to the books, it's not even close for me. The Hunger Games is better in every imaginable way. As far as movies go, I would probably go with Battle Royale.

I have yet to see Hunger Game but  think Battle Royal is great movie!

I think that The Hunger Games is not enough to be called horror.

^^ It's not horror. It's Dystopian, much the same as Gattaca, Children of Men, Metropolis, Equilibrium etc. Aside from the gory kills, I'm not sure I'd classify BR as horror either.

^^ And don't forget A Clockwork Orange and Blade Runner.

The first HG novel was featured on our school's magazine as one of the "5 books to read in Halloween" (There also The Lightning Thief, Stormbreaker and *ugh*... Twilight also something which I forgot)
Seriously HG is not even frightening (the film) and I guess the original material source ain't something too scary.
But I can't even believe that they banned HG in VN because of it's main thematic content.