Topic: William Castle

I recently watched a documentary on William Castle. He is truly a remarkable man. He was orphaned at a young age, and he was basically a self made man, working his way through every job imaginable in the film industry before settling into his role as director. He was to a certain extent I think an insecure man too, as was evident by his need for gimmicks to promote his films (which ultimately were good enough on their own). Personally I love the gimmicks, I wish there were movies these days that tried to go the extra mile to entertain. I've always been a fan of his flicks (or at least what I have seen). Though they`re not exactly horror/comedy, but they are really fun horror movies. A scene that really stands out in my memory is the nightmare scene in the Tingler, very surreal. He also helped produce a true horror classic in Rosemary`s Baby, a movie that is almost solely creditted to Roman Polanski now. He was a visionary and an entertainer, a man deserving of our respect.

Last edited by Theli (2012-11-07 19:11:42)

Re: William Castle

I loves me some William Castle.  I like the bonus features on some of his discs where they show his commercials and promotions.  Like an ambulance outside, with a nurse inside; a coffin lying in the lobby; signing "Scared to Death" waivers, etc.  He indeed was a master showman.

i have the "William Castle Collection" dvd boxset to watch coming up soon! smile

wolfman1959 wrote:

i have the "William Castle Collection" dvd boxset to watch coming up soon! smile

Great buy!