Re: Last horror movie you watched?

^^^
Yeah man I LOOVE this movie sooo much it's nuts. One of my all time favorites. Insanely good acting I find.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2012-11-07 07:19:45)

The Innkeepers (2011) (IMDB link)

An old inn is shutting down for the summer season, and 2 innkeepers are left to take care of the place and the few remaining guests. And you can probably guess that the place is haunted by the spooky.  Decent acting, fairly good FX, plot was underdeveloped, had some nice atmosphere with only a few shock scares.  Won't win an Oscar, but if you like a Shining redux, here you go.

6/10

Deep Red (1975) - 9/10 Dario does it again, He is my favorite director behind John Carpenter

Trouble Every Day:  I don't know that it's necessarily a horror movie.  Maybe more of a thriller.  It certainly has some shocking scenes and in some ways, moments brought up Cronenberg's Crash to mind.  There were problems with the pacing and the overall film seems to lack a drive in the story telling.  Still very well shot with good acting and an original idea. 

6/10.

Halloween (1978) - Just trying to deal with my post Halloween discontent. 10/10

Wes Craven's Ultramindless and violent The Hills Have Eyes (1977):
Yep, this is one film that disappointed me pretty much. It has good idea, but it was poorly executed in the directing at most scenes. It has some pretty goood scares though, but not as the remake by Alexandre Aja.
The filming looked old... very very old... it seems like I'm watching Manos with the color and really, the film wasn't really bad but it's just.... it brings terror and violence at some scenes to inject scares into you but the scene where it scared me was when Beast revived and snap Pluto.
This film is surprisingly on the list of 1000 movies to watch before you die book, I agree, some people may like it but it's just... I dunno how to say it but I think I has a grudge against this film because I loved the watery-gory 2006 one mroe because it is effectively scary and all but this film... the acting wasn't pretty bad at all it just feel a little bit amateur and the editing oh the editing why do Craven must put that random I dunno what's going to happen next when Doug killed Mars... It was just stupid but it has some good scenes: 5/10

Last edited by A Lost Boy (2012-11-07 10:06:45)

I agree with you Lost Boy, I wasn't really impressed with it. I'm probably biased because I watched the remake first, and the original seems very campy in comparison.

^^^
I gotta agree. Aja's one was way cooler than the original. One of the rare remakes that I loved more, way much more than the first one. Like I Spit On Your Grave and The Ring for example.
Samara kicks Sadako in the teeth pretty bad.
Saw that there's a Sadako 3D coming out. Wonder what it'll be like.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2012-11-08 07:40:59)

Audition - saw this on a most disturbing films list,then saw it was on you tube so gave it a go. Decent film though not enough gore (actually very little) for me. 7/10

Chomper wrote:

I agree with you Lost Boy, I wasn't really impressed with it. I'm probably biased because I watched the remake first, and the original seems very campy in comparison.

Finally! Chompy! I watched the original first. And I liked the modern filming of Aja. Guess that film critics are were very stupid disliking it.

Near Dark - 8.7/10

Laid to Rest 2, third time watching it. Don't like it as much as the first but still a fun super gory slasher. 7/10

Quarantine.

Gardenofstone10 wrote:

Quarantine.

Is it waste of time?
I never seen it.

kXnPunk wrote:

^^^
I gotta agree. Aja's one was way cooler than the original. One of the rare remakes that I loved more, way much more than the first one. Like I Spit On Your Grave and The Ring for example.
Samara kicks Sadako in the teeth pretty bad.
Saw that there's a Sadako 3D coming out. Wonder what it'll be like.

I stumbled across Sadako 3D the other day, so I was curious and looked it up, and let's just say that the review that I read for it was less than glowing.
As for the hills have eyes, I appreciate the original because I watched it as a teen back in the early 80's and it has always stuck with me.  But I agree that Aja's remake is superior.  Far more brutal, plus there was more of an emotional connection with the family than there was in the original.

When the Lights went out (2012) - In the midst of the oil crisis and black outs, the Maynard family moves into their dream home in 1974 Yorkshire, only to find a presence already living there.  It soon becomes apparent that their daughter Sally is the main focus of the presence's attentions.  As the hauntings become more frightening and Sally begins to withdraw, it becomes obvious that they must either leave the house or find a way to cleanse it of the spirits living within.  A well done ghost story with great atmosphere and some good old school creeps, right up util the end when they threw in some unecessary CGI.  I thought that the use of shadows, lighting, score and atmosphere were far more effective in building tension.  It did however give me goose bumps on several occasions.  Overall, well done.  4/5.

The Bay (2012) - Almost a decade after the fact and after the government tried to cover up the event, former reporter Donna Thompson uses footage obtained from the internet, news cameras, video cameras, cell phones and surveilence cameras to recount the tragic events that befell a small costal Maryland community.  During their annual 4th of July celebration, a type of isopod, common to fish, morphs and finds its way into the bodies of the townspeople.  A very original take on the found footage/faux documentary genre with a plausible and downright scary ecological theme.  It does have its flaws, but overall, the performances were very believable and the film was well done.  4/5.

Thanks HorrorQueen17 for the tip...INBRED WAS F-ING BRILLIANT! What was totally awesome was the old fashioned special effects!!! The first 5 minutes start off with a bang and I have to say it takes about 40 min more to get going but once it does watch out! All hell breaks loose! A fun bloody gore fest for sure!!! Loved it! BTW not giving it a 10 because I wanted more kids with pointy sticks and little more back story. Praying for a sequel to shed some light!

Inbred 9/10

trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw6N4ynLI8Y

website http://www.inbredmovie.com/

Psycho

Brilliant

Psycho 2

Brilliant! Not the same class as the first, but I liked the story ever more in this one, and the atmosphere was intense!

Occult (Okaruto) 2009
Not as good as the director's previous effort, Noroi - The Curse, which ist still in my found footage Top 3, but still very good. The eerie atmosphere of Noroi was combined with a weird kind of weirdness and mystery, and at the end it went totally bonkers, all while still being so boringly realistic as in the rest of the movie. And the very last image had a Hausu vibe to it.
Oh, also it's on youtube. Basically ONLY on youtube, and nowhere else.

^^^
Thanks for that, gonna watch it soon.

Ginger Snaps
My favorite werewolf movie ever. It's an amazing piece. Love everything about it. Story is great, filming is freaking awesome and the acting is over the top. Especially Katharine Isabelle's. She definitely is my favorite canadian actress. Can't wait to see her in American Mary. 10/10

Psycho II

kXnPunk wrote:

^^^
Thanks for that, gonna watch it soon.

Ginger Snaps
My favorite werewolf movie ever. It's an amazing piece. Love everything about it. Story is great, filming is freaking awesome and the acting is over the top. Especially Katharine Isabelle's. She definitely is my favorite canadian actress. Can't wait to see her in American Mary. 10/10

I liked the first sequel even more.

Citadel (2012) - Suffering from chronic agoraphobia since his wife was brutally attacked by a gang of feral children, young father Tommy struggles to care for his infant daughter while fighting his own demons.  The gang soon returns to terrorize Tommy further, snatching away his daurghter.   Tommy teams with a vigilante priest to find his daughter and learn the truth about the gang of feral children.  But in order to succeed, he must face his fears head on and return to the one place he fears the most, his former home and the site of the tragedy that befell his wife, The Citadel.  I was really looking forward to this one, and for the most part it did not disappoint.  I was a bit distracted while watching it, so I feel a rewatch is in order, but I still really enjoyed it.  3.5/5.

Last edited by alien25 (2012-11-09 14:28:56)

Children Of The Corn II: Urban Harvest (1992): I swear to all of you people this is one of the most underrated horror movie sequels ever made. It is in some way better than the first film. I understand why most people hate this film... because you guys hated Children Of The Corn (1984), which is kinda Western-like creepy and comes with a stupid ending. Well this, this movie was scary, I mean totally! And has a pretty good ending, more fantasy and supernatural.
It has some ludicrous and unintentionally funny moments though, every scenes with the old sisters lady couple which disturbs me alot.
The haungting and beautiful soundtrack was composed and probably also conducted by Daniel Licht, who scored the TV Series "Dexter" which I never watched before. Kinda must check that series out. The Main Title was also good as Jonathan Elias's.
With more gore, violence and the choir in the music, this movie is a helluva scarier than the first film, with a new hot boy preacher: Micah Sumthin'... posessed by He Who Walks Behind The Rows, lead the surviving kids on an ULTIMATE Adult Massacre.
Compared to the original, this movie is better, gorier and scarier, which is a thing rarely seen in bad (well I still like the original) horror movies. I will give this a 7.6/10 for a very good effort from the director. Lame theatrical poster though. Also, from this movie I can understand why they continued the series.

Last edited by A Lost Boy (2012-11-09 23:12:22)

FYI- Children 2 was "The Final Sacrifice."  3 was "Urban Harvest."  I point this out because #3 was rather stupid.

And who said I didn't like Children?  It has one of my favorite lines-
"Outlander!  We have your woman outlander!" 

And I actually like #2 better, too.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-11-09 23:26:28)

^^ Oh sorry while writing this review I was watching Urban Harvest.

^^
It's cool, I once got Halloween and Friday the 13th mixed up on a Movie Night.  Took me 5 minutes to realize I was watching the wrong film; everyone got a kick out of that.