Topic: World War Z Trailer

Your thoughts?

Re: World War Z Trailer

I've never read the book, and while I'm not a fan of the fast-moving zombie, the trailer looks interesting.  I'll check it out, I'm sure.

Same here.  Never Read the book.  I'm interested in seeing what others who have read the book think of the trailer.

I have the book on my Kindle but never got to it, because I have such a backlog of books on there due to all the sales. I don't know, I'm pretty done with zombies and stuff now. I think the movie is late to it's own party.

And not fashionably late either.

Hmmmm. Considering its a PG 13 blockbuster movie version of WWZ and certainly from the trailer, looks rather blockbuster CGI glossy rather than gritty and gory it doesn't look 2 bad. It certainly captures the scope of the novel. As I predicted It seems more action, set piece oriented rather than horror focused though. Watching the trailer only makes me wanna see a more gritty and gory WWZ movie however. I would love to see a well done film sequence of the Battle of Yonkers, preferably suitably grisly, but alas I dont think we will get something like that in this version. That would be EPIC!.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-11-09 15:25:34)

Three things...

I'm not a Brad Pitt fan.

Wow!  That trailer looked freaking amazing.  I didn't know too much about the movie, but that trailer got my heart going.  I am looking forward to this movie.

Does anyone else think its ironic that you have to sit through a commercial to see an add for a movie?  If that was not the right use of ironic...you get my point.  Some people get pretty excited about that word around here.

I'm gonna throw a negative opinion (surprise!) into the mix here.

I have read the book and I did know beforehand that this movie had two similarities with the source material - the title (World War Z) and the zombies. But that trailer left me underwhelmed. It has good scope, but the CGI tidal waves of fast zombies really put me off.

All that out of the way, I probably will see it, but shame on the filmmakers for throwing away all of those really neat scenarios presented in the book - they just took the name.

I was discussing this with HQ last night.  My feelings from what I saw is that it going to be like Tom Cruise's War of the Worlds, focusing on one family as the world go to hell, as opposed to the global scope of the book.  So I not very pumped.

Yeah the CGI swarm like zombies looked really stupid, not liking that at all. The only scenario i can think of that is similar in the book is when they are at the pass in the Himalayas or some place like that. But still the CGI swarm looked freakin dumb.

I have read the book and liked it. I'm thinking the same as, azzy. And if they don't focus on the world wide epidemic, and instead focus on Pitt mostly. Blahhh....

I've read the book and this doesn't look anything like it.  I'm going with Vasquez on this one.

Brad Pitt fan.

Fan of the book.

That said, this looks like a candidate for WORST adaptation ever. And  possibly worst film of the year. CG fast running zombies? REALLY? Fuck everyone involved with this travesty. It looks like a shitty 28 Days Later ripoff, with the "World War Z" title slapped on to generate attention.

They should have done a "mini-series" type show on HBO or something with the book. That might have done it justice. This... gguuuuhhhhh.... looks bad beyond words.

Haven't seen it...I will...be right back...

Looks decent but not overly impressed by it...the pg-13 rating really turns me off.

Running Zombies. Wait what??? Running Zombies. That's Evolution baby. They should have taken Tom Hanks for the role instead of Pitt. I like him but Hanks would have been more believable saying RUN ZOMBIE RUN Gump's style. lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2012-11-10 21:28:26)

Not impressed with that trailer!

book is better.  I still hold very very high reserves on this movie.  But, I could very well see it take off and be something awesome.  We'll just have to wait and see

I'm the only one blown away by the trailer.  I'm sure not having read the book has something to do with that.

^^
Probably.  After you see the movie, you should read the book for comparison.  Not very long, easy to read.

Re: CGI.  I paid attention to The Amazing Spiderman commercial today.  I was astounded at how much, and how bad, all the CGI was.  I don't get CGI zombies, either.  Grab a bunch of people, make them look icky, shoot the scene.  It's not like CGI is appreciably cheaper than hiring a bunch of extras.

Ghostseeker wrote:

I'm the only one blown away by the trailer.  I'm sure not having read the book has something to do with that.

I feel the same way, this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwTxRuq-uk trailer looks amazing and I love how that scene of the zombies pouring over the bus makes them seem like a swarm of insects. I can't wait to see it!!

And @azathoth, I'd have thought that cgi would be far, far cheaper than employing thousands upon thousands of actors to play zombies? I used to be very anti-cgi but I'm coming round to it these days. Prolly cos it's become a lot more realistic looking over the last few years.

Anyway - BRING THIS SHIT ON!!!

Pretty big budget there.

@Fulci-
Interesting question, so I did some quick searching.  The answers are also from years ago, but I didn't care that much to find the latest answers.

Cost of CGI.

Cost of extras.

Since I have no idea on how many zombies, how much on screen time they have, etc., I don't know which way would be cheaper.  Though it's not like Hollywood really cares much about containing expenses on big movies, so... got me.

Ghost-  I am sure having read the book you are very excited for the movie!  I felt the same way when Hunger Games came out.  Hunger Games was very true to the book but it still lacked the brutality and even the emotional stuff the book had.  Maybe that had to do with the PG 13 rating but I think they just focused too much on the background stuff that didn't matter and not enough on the emotional part of the book. 

When I am finished with my Neil Gaiman book I will read World War Z.  I bought it a couple of years ago and never finished it.  Maybe then I will be more excited for the movie?  But  the trailer just looks like a big budget copy of 28 Days Later or I am Legend to me. (yeah, I know they are not Zombies)  I will still go and see it when it comes out though, because I wouldn't miss seeing Brad Pitt killing Zombies...

Azz- yeah, Why can't they keep it real like Walking Dead does?  Practical Make Up and lots of real zombies shambling about.   Practical Make Up is much more scary!  Even Juan of the Dead did a good job showing a city overrun with Zombies on a very small budget without over abusing the CGI FX!

^ I was hoping for a scaled-up version of The Walking Dead. And DirtyGirl, you mentioned I Am Legend - I did get a similar vibe from this trailer because of the terrible looking CGI. That was what killed I Am Legend for me.

i hope this isn't the final CGI effects they use because it looks lazy and doesn't look realistic at all. if the zombies were that plentiful and moved at that speed, humans wouldn't last long. i liked the book and when i first heard they were going to do this film i was very excited but if this is the result i'm not so sure. i hope i'm wrong, i really do but i hope they change those effects a  bit. i do think the only way they can be true to a "Battle Of Yonkers" scene is through CGI but from what i hear it's not going to use  much from the book.