Re: Mario Bava?

^^ I liked Deep Red and Alice, Sweet Alice but I couldn't get into Don't Torture a Duckling at all.

Tenebre absolutely is one of my all time favorites

The Mask Of Satan
Blood & Black Lace
Kill, Baby Kill!
Hatchet For The Honeymoon
Baron Blood
Lisa & The Devil
Black Sabbath
Twitch Of The Death Nerve

IL MULINO DELLE DONNE DI PIETRA aka MILL OF THE STONE WOMEN (1960)

If you like the Bava atmosphere...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67RR9lrr6Uw

Kharis Matic wrote:

Mill Of The Stone Women is a good film. i like you Kharis!

wolfman1959 wrote:
Kharis Matic wrote:

Mill Of The Stone Women is a good film. i like you Kharis!

Agreed!

wolfman1959 wrote:

...i like you Kharis!

Well, I like your avatar. lol

I will have to check this Mill of The Stone Woman out. From the trailer it looks suitably visually atmospheric.

Watched Lisa and the Devil tonight.  The Dvd has both versions of the film, the original Lisa and the Devil and the House of Exorcism.

Kharis Matic wrote:
wolfman1959 wrote:

...i like you Kharis!

Well, I like your avatar. lol

how dare you! that's the wife! lol

DirtyGirl wrote:

Watched Lisa and the Devil tonight.  The Dvd has both versions of the film, the original Lisa and the Devil and the House of Exorcism.

and which did you prefer Mary? i think ( i hope) i know the answer but i'd like to hear it from you smile

Now here's a thead that needs reviving! Ahh, Mario Bava...
My first Bava experience was Baron Blood, which left me underwhelmed.
I felt it was way too reserved, slow-paced and just too cold.
A bit later I watched Planet of the Vampires and loved it.
It's mesmerizing, eerie, beautiful. Mario Bava really could make memorable films
from sketchy, confusing scripts.
Planet of the Vampires still is one of my favourite old school sci-fi horror films.

Last edited by mathisvogel (2013-12-29 11:21:32)

Planet of The Vampires  is an atmospheric sci fic film that inspired many of the "Classic" films later. Bava was such a great film maker.

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2013-12-29 15:24:28)

I also think his Hatchet for the Honeymoon is underrated. That film has one of the most beautiful opening credits sequences ever

mathisvogel wrote:

I also think his Hatchet for the Honeymoon is underrated. That film has one of the most beautiful opening credits sequences ever

yes " Hatchet For the  Honeymoon" isn't a bad film at all, and hardly mentioned on Mario Bava's cv.

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2013-12-30 14:58:16)

Glad that I'm not alone in my admiration for "Hatchet". It's Bava's riff on Psycho, but I saw it a couple of years before Hitchcock's classic. Absolutely love this poster, too:
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac275/mathisvogel/ca42efefdf614385bb6d01202676e7ee_zps7e89cdda.jpg

Still need to see that movie, I'm a Bava fanatic. I haven't seen a bad flick yet.

Erik the Conqueror is a top notch sword & sandal flick too, really fun and suitably violent. It's a great departure from his horror flicks, while still capturing his visual style and great use of set pieces.

Theli wrote:

Still need to see that movie, I'm a Bava fanatic. I haven't seen a bad flick yet.

Erik the Conqueror is a top notch sword & sandal flick too, really fun and suitably violent. It's a great departure from his horror flicks, while still capturing his visual style and great use of set pieces.

I reckon you'll get a kick out of Hatchet, it's one of Bava's more emotional films.
I haven't seen Erik the Conqueror yet but I saw Hercules In the Center of the Earth, which has its moments. I remember some amazing optical tricks work similar to what Mario did on Planet of the Vampires.

Love Bava! I watched Caltiki twice tonight!

darin wrote:

Love Bava! I watched Caltiki twice tonight!

Nice! I only just got Caltiki, going to watch it in the week.

Here's how I would rank the Bava films I have seen so far in descending order.

Black Sabbath
Kill, Baby, Kill
Bay of Blood - the basic template for Friday the 13th and countless american slashers.
Black Sunday
Blood and Black Lace
The Girl Who Knew Too Much
Hatchet for The Honeymoon

I have wanted to see Planet of the vampires for a while but can't find a decent copy.

my favourite bava's are

1. Black Sabbath
2.The Whip And The Body
3 Black Sunday
4. Rabid Dogs ( the proper version not the dubbed and cut to make it less intense "Kidnapped")
5. Lisa & The Devil ( the proper version not the execretable House Of Exorcism)
6. Kill Baby, Kill
7. Hatchet For The Honeymoon
8. Shock!
9. The Girl Who Knew Too Much
10. Planet Of The Vampires
11. Bay Of Blood
12.Blood & Black Lace
13. Baron Blood
14. Erik the Conquerer
15 Knives Of The Avenger
16.Roy Colt & Winchester Jack
17. 5 Dolls For An August Moon
18.The Road To Fort Alamo
19.Four Times That Night
20. Hercules At The Centre Of The Earth
21. Danger Diabolik ( i absolutely hate this film!)
yes i have seen them all including two he co directed in I, Vampiri and "Caltiki, The Indestructable Monster" both of which are not bad at all!
Mario Bava is my all time favourite Italian Horror director ( and other films as well of course) he is WAY WAY WAY above Dario Argento and especially the way way over rated Lucio Fulci ( in my opinion, but it's my opinion! )

Re-watched The Whip And The Body for the third time last week and loved it more than ever.
Such a tasteful take on S&M, Bava's most emotional work and simply one of the most gorgeous colour films ever to be photographed. My only complaint is Tony Kendall, he's so bland and simply doesn't belong there.

Last edited by mathisvogel (2014-01-01 10:03:42)

i like you Mathisvogel, you are an intelligent fellow ! smile

wolfman1959 wrote:

i like you Mathisvogel, you are an intelligent fellow ! smile

why, thank you Sir! smile
Planning on watching Caltiki soon

Last edited by mathisvogel (2014-01-02 12:33:05)