Re: Last horror movie you watched?

^^ Sometimes I go Urban Harvest into The Gathering.

Children Of The Corn III: Urban Harvest (1995): Yet another great entry in the series of awful films : Children Of The Corn. Even though it wasn't as good as the first film, this film was still better than the first, ehich I also liked.
It expanded the parties of the cult more and more, it's pretty interesting. Eli was one damn smart and creepy kid, completely cover his worship for He Who Walks Behind The Rows perfectly.
This movie promptly rely on some gore, shock, the creepiness of a kid and music (once again by the fabulous Daniel Licht) to crwate scares... and it worked!
It was smart, brilliant, decently-acted and very original (although the story doesn't take place in near Gatlin anymore, which kinda makes it stupid, but it still contains something from the city of the cult: Eli Porter. ). Very nice choice of priest there He, the guy is probably even more powerful than Micah and Isaac.
During the scene where Joshua confronts He Who Walks By The Rows in Eli form, the ffects for the fire was pretty mediocre but still pretty fine because later on the main antagonist of the franchise reveals himself as a hideous grotesque dog-like monster with tentacles (looks like the Kennel-Thing from John Carpenter's The Thing.)
The movie has a pretty ridiculous acting for it's final act. I think it would be better if Eli just leads hurriedly the bunch of teenagers on a rampage to kill adults, that would be cooler and scarier but meh... hmm
It was an interesting view, although not as much as the two but still better than the first a little bit, I think that the franchise should stop here but people justr want to think out of lots of other original ideas to continue the freakin' franchise, seriously! I think I will give this film a 7.3/10 and I would definetely recommend the first three films.
Nice pre-credit ending there but that'll surely continue the franchise

Last edited by A Lost Boy (2012-11-10 02:56:32)

Psycho 3

Evil Dead -  I wanted to watch a movie that I knew wasn't going to disappoint. Evil Dead, never does.

Underdog wrote:

Evil Dead -  I wanted to watch a movie that I knew wasn't going to disappoint. Evil Dead, never does.

I'd like to meet the person who thinks that movie is disappointing.  I have a bitch slap with their name on it haha

The Day (2011) -- I couldn't get into it really but it was pretty well done. Very much like the Roadto with a bit more action and not quite as much dramatic effect. Some of the action parts were good but i'm not a fan of the quick cut away editing style.

6/10

The Tortured - Not a very good torture horror, could have been improved a lot if Bill Moseley's character had been given more development. 4/10 Wouldn't recommend.

Gardenofstone10 wrote:
Underdog wrote:

I'd like to meet the person who thinks that movie is disappointing.  I have a bitch slap with their name on it haha

They'll probably insult the effects

This piece of shit.

A Lost Boy wrote:

This piece of shit.

I liked that movie, lol

The Bay (2012)

Very good, nice to see a sort of ecological disaster being shown through found footage. It's a short movie, timing it at around 80 minutes, but it does things quite nicely. They did an okay job of showing the impact on the area, but it could have been scaled up slightly. You may need to switch your brain off for the ecological explanations ("movie science") behind the events... but after all, it is a movie.

7/10

Chomper's movie nitpick: A character directly mentions FaceTime (for Apple video calls) and uses it, but the events of the movie are set in mid-2009 and FaceTime wasn't available until 2010.

Gardie... you mastered Italian movies more than me.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer (The big screen version)--  The first half of the movie was just o.k. The second half was a lot of fun. I like how the movie blended real life events, such as the Gettysburg battle, with fiction.
6/10

Hi all! Very happy to join up!

I just finished THE INVISIBLE RAY (1936)

Rare Sci-Fi from the 30's. Excellent movie.

Smiley...this is a good horror movie to watch,,,,dark scenes are very good in this movie....

Ghost Storm (2011) (SyFy TV version) (IMDB link).

Teens are out in a graveyard when lightning his a large tombstone.  Some fog comes out, kills one of the kids.  Sheriff and reporter go out the next day, the tombstone blows up, and becomes a big swirling storm in the sky.  More fog and lightning deaths, all the boats are blown up (oh yeah, this is on an island).  People die, mysterious backstory, etc.

The acting is a bit above average for a TV movie, the FX (mostly CGI, no gore) are not insulting, the camera work is OK (but spring for a stable-cam rig next time!), sound was mostly "spooky" fog noises and screaming.

Overall, better than most SyFy films, probably because it wasn't an Asylum production.  Below average, not scary at all, and fairly stupid.

4/10

Last edited by azathoth (2012-11-12 04:06:41)

Ghosts of Goldfield (2007) (IMDB link)

***I guess you can say there are spoilers below,***
***but they're not something you haven't seen before***

It started off well enough.  A group of college students go to investigate a haunted hotel in Goldfield, Nevada.  About 1/3 of the way through the movie one of them says (paraphrasing) "We're researching this haunted hotel, with is just off of I-95."  For the non-US people, I-95 is a highway that runs next to the Atlantic Ocean from Maine to Florida.  Nevada is a good 2000 miles west of any part of I-95.

Turns out one of the girls is a descendent of one of the ghosts in the hotel.  It's a basic Ju-on setup- woman cheated on man, man kills the woman, everyone is cursed or some such.  And something to do with a necklace.

The actors are either flat or overacting, and they fit the usual classifications of slut, jock, nerd, good girl, etc..  There are only 2 on-screen kills, but they look OK (even though the 1st one doesn't occur until the 65th minute; out of 88).  The sound is horrific- the levels are fine, it's just that there is no score; it's just some synth sounds, shock tones, and bizarre noises that I guess are supposed to be scary.  Visually the camera work was fine, even the few bits of handheld camera "documentary" footage wasn't shaking around.

But the plot was stupid as all get out, plus the characters hit almost every stupid trope in horror films.  One girl gets scared and runs into the basement (?!?!) where some weird stuff has already happened instead of running out the front door, which was only 15 feet away from the stairs.

The longer is went the less sense it made.  People getting possessed, but only for a little bit of time, dimensional doorways appearing out of nowhere, a ghost that wants her necklace back- but can't take it from the owner (her granddaughter), so she kills everyone else for some reason.

I cannot recommend this film.  It got a point for the camera work and a point for the visuals/FX; otherwise it would be a 2/10.  Also, the first hour was mostly boring.

4/10

Bloodletting (1997) - Fascinated with mass murderers, Serena tracks down Butch Harlow, the most famous serial killer to avoid capture.  She convinces him to allow her to become his apprentice, and together they go on a killing spree.  Low budget cheese, but it did have its moments.  2.5/5.

A Little Bit Zombie (2012) - Infected with a virus that is turning him into a zombie, a mild mannered HR manager tires to curb his appetite for human brains to avoid incuring the wrath of his soon to be bride.  A nice twist on the zombie genre with a few good laughs.  Nothing overly special, but still fun.  3/5.

In Their Skin (2012) - After the tragic death of their 6 year old daughter, the Hughes family retreats to their isolated cottage to unwind and get away from their hectic suburban life.  When they invite the neighbors over for dinner, the weekend becomes a nightmare as they realize that the neighbors are looking for more than a meal and some company.  A nice twist on the home invasion theme that focuses more on the drama, story and characters.  All in all, a decent flick.  3/5.

Me too. LOL Sick minds think a like.

Gardenofstone10 wrote:
A Lost Boy wrote:

This piece of shit.

I liked that movie, lol

DeadHeads I  really wanted to like this and I give the guys credit for trying but after a while I just couldnt take it anymore, just wasn't that funny. Oh well.

DeadHeads 4/10

Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkRi4HNNumM

Ok, Cockneys vs Zombies was f-ing brilliant! Too funny! I have to say though at one point I thought the "joke" was wearing thin and then BAM a brilliant sight gag or joke that pulled you right back in. Loved it.

9/10

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH3p-giK1MU

Freaks (1932) - 8/10 Such a wonderful movie, and so ahead of its time. Hans is my boy!

Night of the Living Dead Remake (1990) - 8.5/10 I was very very impressed and enjoyed the movie alot.

The Fly (1986) - 10/10 David Cronenberg is a genius. and The Fly proves so.

Night of the Creeps (1986) - 8/10 such a funny movie, with great characters!

Behind the Mask: the Rise of Leslie Vernon (2007) - 10/10 Holy shit. This movie was incredible. A must see for all horror fans imo.

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) - 8.4/10 I loved this and I was surprised that I did.

Child's Play (1988) - 9/10 Great movie!

Don't Look Now (1973) - 3/10 This movie sucks... Plain and simple. Don't waste your time with it.

Christine (1983) - 8/10 A great, great movie. John Carpenter ftw.

Land of the Dead (2005) - 8/10 Fantastic. George Romero still has it!

Last edited by Psycho97 (2012-11-13 13:12:11)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) - Finally got around to checking out the remake.  While it is not a bad movie per se, I just don't see the point.  Apart from the darker atmosphere and some added back story, it really didn't bring anything new to the table.  And to make matters worse, they did away with the wise cracking Freddy, which was really part of the charm of the original.  2/5.

rewatched "The Messengers" ( 2006) 6/10

Just watched "Tucker and Dale vs Evil". I thought it was a funny spin on the hillbilly horror movies with a comedic/parody touch to it. Alan Tudyk is great in this too.

8/10