Re: What makes a good Scream Queen

^^ Fail at the Connelly link.

Milla Jovovich was cool. bad movies thou.

Laurie Holden was pretty good.

^^
Fixed the Connelly link.  Stoopid monkey.

How about PJ Soles, Asia Argento, and Rose McGowen?

Or some classic ladies...  Barbara Steele, Ingrid Pitt, and Martine Beswick?

My thoughts:

DirtyGirl wrote:

How about PJ Soles

Yep.

Asia Argento

Yep.

and Rose McGowen?

Well...she's only done a couple horror flicks.   I don't think she's quite there yet.

Definitely yes to all three.  The phrase "scream queen" might not have been spoken until the '80s but that doesn't mean we can't retro-fit it. lol

It's http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000124/. Not http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000124//

Yeah you're right it is Jennifer Connelly not 404 Error

^^ lol

What the heck is my problem posting that stupid link?!?!  I do that 10 times a day and I can't Jenny's correct?  Yikes.

lol

I honestly dunno why you got distracted while posting that link.

Well, she is rather hot.  <Vampy slap>

The Creature wrote:

For a 'Scream Queen' to be a 'GOOD' Scream Queen, she has to be characteristically separated from the rest of the characters in the film. Most likely this can be done through a higher number of redeeming qualities, especially when compared to the rest of the cast. She has to be strong in cases which conflict with the antagonist is inevitable, and she has to be someone that the viewers generally like. Who wants to see the prime survivor of a horror film, the Scream Queen, be completely slutty, or incredibly ditsy? Pretty much no one, right? A good 'scream queen' should be admirable in her presence and her characteristic of being independent and having a stronger will than most of the characters at hand in the film. Just a few thoughts to add to the ones already mentioned.

Yes! I don't mind how many films a final girl has been in, it's the traits of the character, not the quantity that count. I'd say that Heather Langenkamp is a damn fine scream queen as she exhibits all the qualities we've come to expect, Nancy makes a splendid final girl, she's driven, chaste, intelligent and strong-willed. She continually pushes her parentsdespite their denials, refuses to get fobbed off and finally gets answers. She reads books about boobytraps and anti-personnel devices and actively pursues Freddy into the real world. She even exorcises him by literally turning her back on him and denying his existence in their collective unconscious and thus expells him. Now that is strength.

If we're talking purely on how many films a lead female in a horror film has to make to qualify as a scream queen then there's only one answer.

Linnea Quigley!!! big_smile

or maybe

Debbie Rochon. lol

azathoth wrote:

Haha yeah of course she is. But having your wife slap you because of your post is just... a lil' bit too not normal? lol

I'm not gonna rhyme off a bunch of names... I have an easier way... the ones with wicked vocals and big TITS is what pretty much makes a scream queen whether ya like it or not!!

DirtyGirl wrote:

How about PJ Soles, Asia Argento, and Rose McGowen?

You just pretty much mentioned everyone I was thinking. I also agree that Daria Nicolodi could easily be consider a scream queen.

Honestly the only thing that i think matters for someone to be a scream queen is to be an actress whose main body of work is horror flicks, or at least what they are most well known for. She could always be the helpless damsel, or always the strong defiant one, but more often than not will have played many different roles in many different horror movies. I suppose a nice scream is good too.

If Linnea Quigley is mentioned , the rest of the B-movie scream queens should be as well - Michelle Bauer & Brinke Stevens.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Mx9nXS3fL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

They are still acting together , pretty much middle aged grannies now though.

http://www.horrorsociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/COUGARCULT_key_LR.jpg

The charming and vulnerable Fay Wray will always be my favorite scream queen.

Don't know if it's already been said...but A Big Rack.

What makes a good Scream Queen? A pretty face, big boobs, nice ass, decent acting. And yea, in that order.

Underdog wrote:

What makes a good Scream Queen? A pretty face, big boobs, nice ass, decent acting. And yea, in that order.

If you have all these talents you should use your "indecent" acting!!! lol lol lol

Last edited by Kharis Matic (2012-11-14 14:53:32)

and she needs to have a good set of lungs to scream bloody horror several times in the last half hour of the movie..

A Lost Boy wrote:
azathoth wrote:

Haha yeah of course she is. But having your wife slap you because of your post is just... a lil' bit too not normal? lol

You haven't been around long enough to know the Monkey-Vampy dynamic on HM.  For example, when we're doing a Movie Night, she'll hop on Skype and at my first mention of a girl being hot/cute/sexy she'll jump in with, "I'm gonna slap you!"  And then 2 hours later she bonks me on the head with a monkey.

@Jack-  I good set of... lungs?  I don't think Hollywood has been working that way recently.  lol

Last edited by azathoth (2012-11-14 15:01:34)

Amber Heard.... Need I say more!