Topic: CGI: Worst thing to happen to Horror

The CGI crap they put in horror  movies now a days isn't even watchable! Damn I miss the good ol' Tom Savini days!!

Re: CGI: Worst thing to happen to Horror

Yes

You said it CGI just makes it look too cartoonish wait a minute most cartoon fx are better than what passes as fx in todays movies.

You should watch syfy "face off" , a reality show showcasing horror make-up artists , rather fascinating to watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBE8MyF74Cg

^^
Love that show!  Did you catch the last one, making a monster out of a phobia?  Some very cool ones.

Yeah , been watching this season but not sure some of the so-called phobia horror villains are that good though.

I was going to say Michael "Butcher Boy" Bay Productions. But yes...cgi sucks, Van Helsing anyone?????

Not just movies , TV as well. Look at the likes of Vampire diaries , Grimm , Supernatural etc , whatever happened to good old prosthetic makeup ? If you look at Buffy , while they used CGI , they also used a lot of prosthetic makeup in every episode. In all these newer shows , maybe it's just cheaper and easier to use CGI.

I agree to an extent...there is a such thing as good and bad cgior as it is with prosthetics/makeup, or often times just too much cgi. But I don't always think its done badly. Some examples of good mix of cgi and make up is The Wolfman, Midnight Meat Train and The Thing (2011).

I think lack of originality is  what's hurting he horror industry more so than bad cgi, but the shoddy cgi effects don't help either.

ChainSaW80 wrote:

I agree to an extent...there is a such thing as good and bad cgior as it is with prosthetics/makeup, or often times just too much cgi. But I don't always think its done badly. Some examples of good mix of cgi and make up is The Wolfman, Midnight Meat Train and The Thing (2011).

I think lack of originality is  what's hurting he horror industry more so than bad cgi, but the shoddy cgi effects don't help either.

There you go (^5)!!!

For the most part I agree, CGI sucks. But sometimes it's used very well, a good example would be Troll Hunter.

the problem is, when CGI is bad it's clearly bad. when CGI is done well, you don't even know it's CGI. If you do a search of the "uncanny valley" you'll get an idea of the concept i'm talking about. practical effects seem to have a different feel. even when practical effects are done "over the top" so to speak (dead alive comes to mind), many horror fans are psyched by the shear spectacle (you can think how'd they do that, or that's so much blood/gore.... you can't really do that with CGI because it comes off as... ok they modeled or digitized a bunch of gore).

My goal is to be a professional special FX makeup artist when I am older.  I agree that good old fashion special FX are much better than CGI!

zombiekid2001 wrote:

My goal is to be a professional special FX makeup artist when I am older.  I agree that good old fashion special FX are much better than CGI!

That's awesome...good luck!

As in all things, CGI is nothing more than a tool, but unfortunately it was overused. At no other time in the history of movie making, another tool was used in a so grotesque and excessive way. It must be used wisely, like any other tool available.

If the cinema, as an art form, comes down to CGI... it's over.

I agree with what a few others in this thread have said: lack of originality has injured the current status of horror films far more than CGI has.

That being said, I will always prefer bad practical effects over good CGI. It's kind of a weird thing but in a way, practical effects will always look more realistic to me because there is a physical object being filmed. With CGI, no matter how good it is, you can always tell that what you're looking at is not actually there.

I don't necessarily think that cgi is the worst thing to happen in horror movies. I do though think it should be more moderately used in a lot of films, or use a mix of cgi and good ol fake blood. IMO the worst thing to happen to horror films (as pointed out) is the lack of originality, and tween movies like Twilight.

CGI is shit. I hate it. In horror films it's more of a (why didn't my entire post...post?)

more of a "let's just hurry up and get it done, we'll use CGI, it's a horror film, it doesn't matter."

Geez, put some time into it.

Last edited by aceofspades70 (2012-11-14 14:00:56)

We it certainly isn't the best thing to happen to Horror.  In small doses you can tolerate it but if your main monster or all of your ''gimmicks'' are CGI...it cheapens the expericence.

CGI is not all bad as long as it is not the sole thing you use.. Check out this video of Scott Ian talking to Rob Hall about CGI and its benefits..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVPFlKQKio8

Is it weird that I love that Van Helsing? And the prequel to Carpenter's The Thing?

I actually like Van Helsing, myself, too. Not a big fan of the The Thing prequel  but several others do, so it's not  crazy or anything.

Give me a stunt person in a rubber suit any day of the week over bad computer graphics. I think CGI has also taken away the need for good acting in a lot of cases, as feelings or emotions can be just drawn onto characters when ever the writers may feel like it. Further, I think it took quite a bit of skill to be "the monster" in those old movies.

Last edited by Joey Ramone (2012-11-16 21:32:45)

^^
A lot of it is based on how the CGI is presented.  Large portions, including Gollum, or the Lord of the Rings, has CG, but most of it you can't tell.  But very few horror films (if any) have an in-house CG company and the budget to pull of a LotR.

That's why we'll get stuff like this-
https://sites.google.com/site/vervemonkeyproject/Home/images/web-images/MH_skele2.jpg
(From an awful movie called Metalheads.)

No. No. No.
I don't agree. I actually like cheesy CGI as much as cheesy and bad practical effects and make up. Just for exemple, I LOVED that Metalheads movie very much. And I was born into the Star Wars years so CGI is essential for me in movies. Not everyone sure, but I really don't mind.