Re: CGI: Worst thing to happen to Horror

^^
Soap bubbles head in Metalheads? 

http://i.somethingawful.com//sasbi/2006 … H-bubb.jpg

^^ Where to watch that movie?

^^
I watched it on Netflix years ago.  Don't see it on Netflix, YouTube, or StageVu now.  Don't bother.  Just read this review to get an idea about it.  It's not even funny bad.

Nah.  The worst thing to happen to horror movies is the cell phone.  I can handle a little CGI, but only if it's needed, and not in a situation where a practical effect would sell the illusion just as effectively.

^^
If we're going to go that route, then cars that mysteriously die for no reason, or can't re-start for no reason.  Or tripping every 3 feet, or the magical off-screen teleportation of the bad guy.

Those are indeed some major complaints I have.  I could buy that stuff happening if it were only in a couple movies.  But when they become the norm, you realize that horror writers in general seem to think horror audiences are dullards who accept whatever crap you feed them and won't question either the logic or plausibility, so long as there's blood and tits involved.

And the cell-phone thing is just another tool in that insipid toolbox.  How many more horror films are we going to have where people die because they don't get a signal and can't call for police?  Especially today, when there are more cell-phone towers per square mile than there are trees? 

Hyperbole, but you get my point.

Nah, I get what you're saying.  It just gets more irritating each year, because the car thing has been going for 40 some years (at least), the cellphone thing was clever at first when there were not commercials showing 80% of the US covered, and somehow people still hide in the backseat of cars?

It's like if I went to Wawa (a convenience store up here), turned my car off, went in, came back and my car won't start, my cell phone is suddenly dead, and there is a lion in the back of the Malibu.  Shit don't work that way!

Y'know what I'd like to see?  A horror movie about a wave of electro-magnetic pulse terrorizing a city.  Then we'd actually have a reason for cars not to start and phones not to work.  And if that EMP also happened to carry with it some type of radioactive wave or isotope which destroys brain cells and affects coordination, that would cover the "falling down every three feet" thing.

But the teleporting bad guy...I got nothin'. hmm

^^
War of the Worlds remake did that (EMP).  And I don't think that anyone has done testing on humans (or animals even) about the effects an EMP could have on the brain, so maybe.  Only problem is the only way we know how to do a widespread one is a nuke.

Though the teleporting killer has gotten lesser egregious once they started making them faster.

LoudLon wrote:

Y'know what I'd like to see?  A horror movie about a wave of electro-magnetic pulse terrorizing a city.  Then we'd actually have a reason for cars not to start and phones not to work.  And if that EMP also happened to carry with it some type of radioactive wave or isotope which destroys brain cells and affects coordination, that would cover the "falling down every three feet" thing.

didn't " the darkest Hour" sort of do that?

I actually don't mind CGI. Even the bad stuff, they are even trying new kinds of CGI that give the anime blood splatter effect in live action, see Adam Chaplin (shudders). Some of the more extreme film directors and production companies do CGI mixed with practical that is so seamless you can't tell the difference. Morbid films did a horrendous title called Fetus and the effects were truely amazing, story and everything else in between was pretty dire though but if the low budget extreme cinema part of horror can do it, surely the mid to high budget can do it too. But I do love a man in a mask big_smile

The phones thing gets on my nerves. Brits should never do it, I dunno what it's like in the US but if there's no signal on our phones we still have the emergency only where we can still dial 999. Trumps the can't call the police thing don't it!

azathoth wrote:

^^
Soap bubbles head in Metalheads? 

http://i.somethingawful.com//sasbi/2006 … H-bubb.jpg

Yes. Funny as H3LL. Well for me, I got REALLY strange tastes. Hahaha

@Crispy- the phone thing we were talking about is that our of nowhere no one can get a signal at all on the their cellphones.  Talking talking, walk into evil building, doors lock, no cellphone signal.  Unless you Euros have like super strength 911/999 powers.

@Punk- I like your style.  I am the guy here (at least for now) that searches out the most ridiculous stuff, but I draw the line on the "bubble head."  Just have her soap up her hair, damn it!  big_smile

If you want another bizarre one(s), check out Evil Cult and Terror Toons.  Or The Absence of Light, which has Savini, Tony Todd, and Michael Barrymore in completely incorrect roles.

See Evil Cult - Check
See Terror Toons  -Check [And I dig it]
See The Absence Of Light - To Do and I certainly will soon, thanks monkey. smile

I get a huge kick out of Terror Toons (gotta love Max Assassin!).  Evil Cult has me shaking my head.  Light is just a WTF were they thinking with how badly they misused their talent.  (Oh, and the alien thingys are are a great example of why I hate CGI FX.)

You are a sick person for watching (or want to watch) these movies.  Monkey Appoved®!!

Oh yes Max Assassin is wild.

You think I don't know that I'm sick??? I do. And I'm proud. lol

To prove your worthiness, you must watch Shaitani Dracula.  Youtube link.  Unfortunately, it's in 9 parts.  Then you shall be part of the Horde.  big_smile

Unfortunately??? H3LL nothing unfortunate about it, the first few minutes I just saw make me wanna watch the whole thing for sure. Thanks buddy.

No literally anywhere, in a sealed box you can call 999 or 101 for non emergencies. You don't need signal and it'll work with low battery. Handy really. But I do get you, it gets on my nurves too sometimes but I try my best to ignore the cliches and get on with it unless it's jammed full of them without it being a satire or a mickey take a la scream or cabin in the woods, then it's allowed big_smile

I agree. The made for Syfy movies that use CGI are down right laughable a 5yr old could do better with cardboard and glue and it would still look more realistic. The Nightmare On Elm St. remake is a prime example of horrible CGI the effects from the original still look better 28 or so years later. As for the good it does I can only see it used for good if its for light touch ups on certain scenes and little things that aren't noticeable.

Last edited by AClockworkOrange71 (2012-11-26 19:12:34)