Topic: Just out of interest

Have been watching a lot of J and K horror recently due to the mass import of movies Downunder over the last year. Surprisingly am yet to hit a bad movie, one must exist surely! Which got me thinking, are Asian horror movie makers better at it than the current crop of Western film makers. What do you think?

Re: Just out of interest

They don't haver morons like Eli Roth or Uwe Boll there so that's where my vote goes lol.

I am a fan of asian horror films and have gotten big into them over the past 2 years especially. I love BioZombie with teh funny english dubbing and then you have great films like Ichi the Killer, Versus, Oldboy, Wild Zero, Evil Dead Trap, Audition, etc.....

I think the asians are big now in the horror genre.

Last edited by RIP (2007-09-03 16:53:22)

Well Jethro, seeing as I am a huge foreign horror fan, I personally enjoy j-horror better than american horror.  I just think they try to produce scares and they dont rely on cheap blood effects and over the top gore.  They produce stories that go somewhere and build up tension to give true tense scares.

In my personal interest. I'm the sameway as jmh. I find that american horror is just mediocre compared to asian horror. There is nothing like it. All the movies that they come out with are all original ideas. There is no comparison at all. You'll find the best and goriest horror movies come from asian horror movies. All the movies that they come out with know exactly how to have the right tension and exciting storylines. They also don't need CGI to scare us. See unlike american horror movies, j-horror doesn't need that cheap scare moments to make us jump or have that shock value. I've been watching j-horror movies for years and so far all of them i have seen, i haven't been disappointed not one single moment, unlike most of the ones that they been putting out into the theatre here.

I love asian films but they just have a TAD  too much of the same looking ghost films imho. I mean Ju-on and Ju-rei look teh same and they are totally different films.

The asian films I like are not the ghost films mainly.

OK the Eli Roth stuff seriously has to stop.. I know Jethro you don't know the extent but RIP does.. I've been ignoring it for quite some time but this is really getting old.. Everyone knows your opinion since you state it on every single thread.

Anyway on topic.. Asian horror is just a flavor of the month thing.. I got into Asian horror right after Ringu came out. Before it was a big deal. The thing that gets most people attached to the films is that it is something entirely new. A different way to look at horror. But once you have seen the formula 50 times its no longer new and becomes the same thing over and over..

They are the same as us. Only the Asian culture has different things that scare them in particular. Things that people here wouldn't even think about. So its fresh to us for awhile.

Actually to me, asian horror, or j-horror, is not the flavor of the month. Yeah i understand alot of people are just starting to find out about it now. But i really don't understand why. It is plain and simple the best type of horror out there today. They all break the berrier to what no other country will put into each of there movies. It is the type of horror that is and has been bringing back horror to the seen with it's shock value and they don't even need to use CGI either that makes everything look not even believeable. Yes america and other countries have been putting out decent horror movies and have been really good. But if you look at most of the horror movies america has been putting out, it is starting to take a steady drop in good horror movies not what it used to be. But most of them are still really enjoyable.

they seem to have the market in weird ghost movies: ju-on,reincarnation,etc.actually most of their horror is werid but the asian women are beautiful so im good for it.i just dont see them as being better at horror just a different kind of horror based of their own superstitions

They're not better at horror.  Math, though, is a whole other question. big_smile

All joking aside, Japan's made some high-quality genre fare in the last decade or so, but it wasn't always like that.  Outside of Godzilla, what kind of genre films did you ever really hear about from Japan before Ring became a smash hit?

I think for the most part Japanese horror is no different from ours; they'll have several years of top-notch genre fare, then go through a slump.  Same as we do.  Besides...anyone who's ever seen movies like Another Heaven know full well that not ALL Japanese horror is great.

I know that everyone has there own likes and dislikes and agrees and disagrees. But this is how i just feel about j-horror and just explaining how passionate i am for that type of horror. Nothing more than that and to me i just feel it is the best type of horror out there. That's all.

LoudLon wrote:

I think for the most part Japanese horror is no different from ours; they'll have several years of top-notch genre fare, then go through a slump.  Same as we do.  Besides...anyone who's ever seen movies like Another Heaven know full well that not ALL Japanese horror is great.

Very well said Lon. I am a foreign horror fan with a good emphasis on Asian horror.  As many people are aware I have been hooked especially on Tartan Asia Extreme releases lately as they have put out some top-notch, lesser seen films.  I really dont like the term j-horror because a lot of what I watch is from places other than Japan, like Korea, Singapore, and China.

I do agree in parts with peoples arguments against asian horror. The whole ghost element is sometimes kind of repetitive.  The pale face with long dark hair, its been done many times.  And sometimes, yes the plots can be complicated.  I have seen a few that i enjoyed that I still am not sure what happened because it was intricate.

However, despite these things i think Asian horror does abetter job of storytelling in the horror genre.   They often build up their characters and make them more "human" I guess is a way to put it.  You care about what happens to these characters because of the growth they are given.  Also, I think they do a good job of setting a tense atmosphere.  Very good use of light and shadows.  Music is often used to intensify a situation or build up to something climatic.  I think they use more real scare tactics to provide thrills and do so without having to push the bar higher on gore or the ratings boards.  They know their boundaries and do what they can to maximize their story and tactics without stretching too far to get it done. 

I have always been intrigued by foreign horror as it always seemed like they were doing their own thing in the genre.  I call myself a big Asian horror fan and can safely say I became one without ever seeing any of the Ringu films.  The first two Asian horors I watched were back in college and were Battle Roayle and Versus.  Those are the films that made me realize Asian horror is going in great direction and something I wanted to get on board with.

not better just diffrent. i love the pace of alot of the j-horror, they take the time to tell the story and there storytelling style is so diffrent than what were used to in the "quick to the next kill" that we get out of may of our horror flicks. but man can not live on fish alone and im glad i can appreciate films from all over the world.

on a side note thanks goon for the "stop roth bash" im tired of it myself.

i dont think asian horror is better its just a different pace.

It's impossible to say which horror is better.  I love it all.  And for different reasons.  All I can really say is, Asian horror kicks ass.  American horror kicks ass.  Horror, kicks ass.

Last edited by TiM the Zombie (2007-09-04 20:01:33)

skincarver wrote what I was thinking: "they seem to have the market in weird ghost movies"

I'd even go one step further and include "torture" in there w/ ghosts.

Not better, more precise. They have the legends and the demons and the ancestor ritual base that runs prevalent through their Culture.

I fell in love with Asian horror ever since Oldboy and Audition. Most of American horror movies are basically remakes of classic horror films from the 60s, 70s and 80s. The whole Eli Roth thing is just getting really old.

I don't like Asian horror as much as other horrors as to me there really isn't much variety spare for the odd one like Oldboy or Audition.  Most of them have to do with a ghost bent on revenge...okay...anything fresh?  another ghost bent on revenge, different setting...

There is just really the ghost stories...and maybe a few horror-esqe thrillers...but there isn't much variety to me.

I've seen A LOT of Asian horror. Some really good (The Ring, Shutter and a few others) but most of them are more drama than horror.
And so many movies are visually stunning. They must have some of the best cinematographers in the world over there.

henke wrote:

I've seen A LOT of Asian horror. Some really good (The Ring, Shutter and a few others) but most of them are more drama than horror.
And so many movies are visually stunning. They must have some of the best cinematographers in the world over there.

You need to check these asian gore flicks then:

Art of the Devil
Art of the Devil 2
Evil Dead Trap
Bloody Reunion
Versus
Wild Zero
Ichi the Killer

Those are more action and good gore kills in them.

I think some asian horror movies are quite good:

Examples:

The Eye By Pang Brothers
Three (3 Short Films) Memories and Going Home was good
Ju-On
Ringu
The Haunted Apartment

The story lines are very well developed in my opinion.

A few years back I would say that Asian horror was better but since then I've seen a lot of Asian horror and I'd say that they have their share of crappy stuff the same as us.

Something that I think accounts for everyone thinking Asian horror is so great is that you see everything that the country puts out that is good enough to make it here to the states.. Trust me they make just as many shitty movies as we do.

I've been watching Asian horror for 8 years now and trust me their is nothing that they do that is any better than what we do. The reason I called it the flavor of the month is because a lot of people are into it right now.. But trust me if you watch it for as long as I have you will see that they just have a different approach.. No better, no worse.

That being said I guess its just an individual opinion. If you really dig supernatural horror you will probably always love Asian horror.. But if you love slashers good luck finding more then a handful of slasher films from Asia.

I would agree with Goon on this one.  There are some really terrible Asian Horror films out there, just like in the US, and we get the cream of the crop.  The cultural heritage of ghost stories in Asian folklore is also very important, as has been mentioned.  ultimately, the thing that makes it unique is that there is a different perspective.  The language of filmmaking is much like spoken language, where every culture has its own idioms and dialect.  Miike and Shimizu and the like are working from a frame of visual experiences that American filmmakers do not have.  Conversely, a film like The Exorcist could not be made overseas, because they lack the cultural background to tap into that Western fear.  I don't believe that Asian is better than American, and it's nice we don't have to choose, but to take the best of both and get whatever shudders we can out of them.

Asian Horror creeps me out more.  I have been watching way more lately thanks to Mike.  Seems like I can't get enough.  I can actually get "scared" watching Asian Horror.  And I find myself not liking remakes after I have seen more orginal Asian Horror because it seems to loose something in translation.