Re: Retro Rewatch Pleasant Discoveries

Holy hell!  I was just watching the video for She-Bop, by Cyndi Lauper, and noticed Gary Klar (Private Steele from Day of the Dead) as the cop who books Lauper after an animated chase sequence. lol

Was just watching the Eddie Murphy flick Coming to America for the first time in at least two decades and recognized Nick Savage (Ali from Friday the 13th part III) in an uncredited role as Eddie Murphy's tooth-brusher. lol

Last night I saw THEM! (1954)

Brought back some really good memories.

Kharis Matic wrote:

Last night I saw THEM! (1954)

Brought back some really good memories.

Them! is an excellent 1950's "Giant Bug" movie.

The Flesh and the Fiends (1960) aka The Fiendish Ghouls

I spent a wonderful evening.

A very underrated movie.

Was just watching an old episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia from 2008 when I noticed a guy in the background who, judging by the way he kept staring at Danny Devito, tells me he didn't know he was being filmed:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/Jerry1-1.png

The reason he caught my attention is that I think I saw him in the much more recent season 2 of the Syfy show Face Off:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/Jerry2.png

Agree?  Or am I just imagining a resemblance?

Watching Columbo and just saw Jamie Lee Curtis as a waitress!  Funny.  smile

Lon - Where are you at with Sunny?  Last I knew you were undecided on if you thought it was funny...but you hadn't watched many episodes yet (if I remember right).

Yeah, that looks like the same guy though.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2013-01-13 21:02:35)

azathoth will like this.
And I am sure I saw that before

MONKEY TALE 1952
http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/monkey-tale-1952

Fun little short..

Ghostseeker wrote:

Lon - Where are you at with Sunny?  Last I knew you were undecided on if you thought it was funny...but you hadn't watched many episodes yet (if I remember right).

I was put-off for the longest while because it felt like the show was nothing more than a bunch of narcissistic sociopaths shouting at each other for half an hour at a time -- but then I caught on to the joke.  It's SUPPOSED to be about a bunch of narcissistic sociopaths shouting at each other in a concerted effort to satirize the traditional sitcom formula.  There's never a happy ending, the gang never comes together for a unified understanding, and it's all played ironically against traditionally happy "Leave it to Beaver"-style music.  Even Rob McElhenney got fat in an effort to go against the grain of sitcom stars becoming better looking (thanks to increased paydays and all the benefits money brings with it) as their shows become successful.

I even have a favorite character (Dennis, because he's so damned narcissistic, though Charlie's a close second), a number of favorite episodes and have even amassed a great deal of Sunny trivia.  To wit, some of my favorite episodes are:

Chardee MacDennis - the Game of Games (Dennis cracks me up start to finish in this one -- check out his face when they're screaming during warm-up for the game lol )

Dennis Reynolds: An Erotic Life (more because of Charlie in this episode, though; Charlie gagging while doing a stand-up bit makes me bust out laughing every time)

Frank's Pretty Woman (y'know the woman who playd Roxy also played Josie on Beekman's World?  Like I said -- trivai!)

And there are several others.  Anyway, yeah.  I was slow to catch on,  but now that I have, I'm a fan. smile

Troll - The father character's name is Harry Potter.

kXnPunk wrote:

azathoth will like this.
And I am sure I saw that before

MONKEY TALE 1952
http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/monkey-tale-1952

Fun little short..

Excellent!

^^^
Wow, took you quite a while. Even forgot I posted this. lol
But yes very cool one.

Yeah, sometimes even I'll miss stuff.  Bicycle safety as done by chimps.  big_smile
Today, they would just show people get run over and such.

Hahaha yes, times change.

Gotta go back and rewatch The Return of the Living Dead, it makes for a great chuckle!

Watched "the boogeyman" last night. the 70's flick with the little shards of glass from the broken mirror and the guy with panty hose on his head.

Last edited by Ash's missing hand (2013-11-16 10:06:00)

Doctor X (1932)

I haven't seen that one. Any good?

Theli wrote:

There is an excess of comic relief here and there, but the disturbing atmosphere and the sets are very effective for the time. Old School treasure.

Evermonster wrote:
Theli wrote:

There is an excess of comic relief here and there, but the disturbing atmosphere and the sets are very effective for the time. Old School treasure.

I dig a lot movies from that era, but sometimes that tended to happen, I though the Cat and the Canary went overboard on the comic relief as well, on the other hand the Invisible Man does it completely right and still maintains much of it's comedic value to this day. The premise for Doctor X seemed pretty gruesome, I've been wanting to see it for a while. Thanks for the quick review!

Man Made Monster (1941)

An overlooked B-Movie from Universal. Typical 40's product. The main ingredients are there, so that the sauce has a fairly respectable taste.

The Ape Man (1943)

Despite all the bad that is said about this film, I'm still a big fan of this theatrical and larger than life performance by my friend Lugosi.

Hey! If this Valentino doesn't convinced you... nothing ever will.

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/927722Bela.jpg

^^^
Lugosi still lives in my heart. He's not Dead.
Damn, HE'S FREAKING DRACULA so I'm sure he hid from the sun somewhere in his coffin and that he's still alive somewhere in more hearts than just mine... lol

Great one Ape Man...

I Walked with a Zombie (1943)

Many will be disappointed because there is no flesh-eating here (good for me big_smile).
As someone once said: This movie turned pulp into poetry...

An excellent film!

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/373630photo.jpg

^^^
Oh yes, what an amazing one this is. So freaking beautiful. smile