Re: Sinister (2012)

Im very carefull with what horror movies I see in the cinemas nowadays so I dont end up wasting money (which being a student is not something I want 2 do) and im not sure if Sinister is worth it. Ill save my money for something I REALLY want 2 see.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-10-18 18:15:54)

I thought it was good and moody, but I didn't find it scary. I sort of felt it was heavily inspired by Insidious, which I thought was awesome. This was still a good movie though and I liked the ending, it actually gave me chills!

vasquez, pick Silent Hill 2!! I am so stoked for it!

@Lon-
I have a few reviewers that I also tend to agree with (believe it or not, you're one of them.  So is DG.).  Tough to find people with similar tastes.

It is a horror hollywood movie and  it was released oct 2012...........
I watch the trailer of this movie it is a really best horror movie.

It is pretty good I enjoyed it, it wastes a lot of truly good horror on jump scares but that is hollywood horror for you. A lot better than most of the crap hollywood puts out

Well...I see about one movie a year in theaters and Sinister won out...kinda sad I'll be waiting for PA 4 to come out on DVD...or other means.

Thought Sinister was okay.  It was close to great...but had some issues with it, that couldn't allow me consider it great. 

The good - Acting was well done.  Had some creepy moments.  It was a fairly original idea...part of which didn't make a whole lotta sens, but I'll get to that later.  It had some really disturbing images.

The Bad with * SPOILERS! *

Like Randy wrote...cheap scares.  Also, what does it have to do with the story that the family is killed after they move?  I mean, I get it happens in the movie, but what sense does it make?  Why does the demon care if they move?  Why not just do it at the current house?  So...if they never move, they'll be bothered by the demon and his kids, but will live?  Plus, why does that happen?  Why is it that way?

I don't know.  This movie had so much potential, and I think it went down the road to nonsensical.

Overall...worth a watch.  However, with what I know now I would of liked to have picked PA 4 over this one.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2012-10-29 23:08:48)

honestly? this movie scared the hell out of me. I am very hard to scare but this one did. The girl I went with laughed at it. There were points were I was almost in tears. I loved it though I will be owning it.  I loved the use of the old camera to show what happened to these families I thought that was cool.

Ya i agree with you ..............It is interesting

Guys you're all way too picky :-D
Saw it yesterday at the Stockholm Film Festival and i loved it. It's obviously not "The Shining" but it's definitely one of the best horror movies of the year by far.

Last edited by jssfranch (2012-11-18 04:03:24)

Probably up there with a few of the best horror movies of the year, if arguably the best. I'm not easily scared, but I'm not afraid to admit this scared me pretty good. Bagul (despite a shocking resemblence to Mick Thompson of Slipknot) is infinitely scarier than the cheap ghosts they throw at us these days.

I was so seriously disappointed by this. From most of the things I'd read about it, I was expecting a few decent scares, an interesting, gripping storyline and a great atmosphere. For me, it didn't really deliver on any of those points.

The acting was good, I can't deny that. But the scares were so cheap you could see them coming a mile off, not one of them actually got me. And there was just no tension or atmosphere to speak of. I could see they were trying to build it, in the scenes where Ethan Hawke was walking down darkened corridors of his house, or going up to the attic. But it was tired and old, and just failed at building any palpable fear at all.

Then the storyline. As Ghosty said above, I found it illogical and rather than get caught up in it, I was questioning why they would do certain things, and why the 'demon' would just choose to kill them if they moved house. Made no sense to me.

It didn't seem to know what it wanted to be, crime/suspense thriller, serial killer flick, supernatural. It felt like it flitted around all the time, when maybe if it had picked one track and stuck to it it would have been much better.

The base idea of the serial killer was decent enough, and I thought the inclusion of the snuff films was a good angle, and those bits were well made, but they didn't make enough of the good things the film had, and instead tried to inflict poor, dated scares on the audience.

Oh and the demon? I laughed when I saw it! I've seen scarier Disney villains. Cruella De Ville anyone? About 1500 times scarier than that thing.

I'd give it 4/10. It might seem like I'm being a little harsh on the film, but I think it's because I was really looking forward to this and hoping it was going to be scary, something like Insidious. It disappointed me big style.

I've been waiting almost two months for someone to at least acknowledge my question which I've posted in numerous Threads now!  smile  Thank you HQ.  At least I know I'm not the only one that found the main point of the plot odd.

We pretty much agree on the problems with the film, I like it more than you did though.

Ghostseeker wrote:

Well...I see about one movie a year in theaters and Sinister won out...kinda sad I'll be waiting for PA 4 to come out on DVD...or other means.

Thought Sinister was okay.  It was close to great...but had some issues with it, that couldn't allow me consider it great. 

The good - Acting was well done.  Had some creepy moments.  It was a fairly original idea...part of which didn't make a whole lotta sens, but I'll get to that later.  It had some really disturbing images.

The Bad with * SPOILERS! *

Like Randy wrote...cheap scares.  Also, what does it have to do with the story that the family is killed after they move?  I mean, I get it happens in the movie, but what sense does it make?  Why does the demon care if they move?  Why not just do it at the current house?  So...if they never move, they'll be bothered by the demon and his kids, but will live?  Plus, why does that happen?  Why is it that way?

I don't know.  This movie had so much potential, and I think it went down the road to nonsensical.

Overall...worth a watch.  However, with what I know now I would of liked to have picked PA 4 over this one.

I liked this one aswell...and I agree pretty much with your likes and dislikes. You make a nifty point with your questions and i can honestly say that the question never even crossed my mind...very intersting however. It made for a nifty mystery for the main character to piece together but I dont really recal there being a reason as to why it worked that way.

Well that said, I did like the flick. I thought it had a decent creepy vibe through most of it and the story kept me interested for the e most part. I give it a 7/10.

ChainSaW80 wrote:

I thought it had a decent creepy vibe through most of it and the story kept me interested for the me most part.

This really sums it up for me as well.