Re: About Amanda Todd's being bullied.

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

I understand where you are coming from, but going back a couple years I did feel like I didn't want to live - but I never acted on them feelings. But nor did I say in my original post it's a "cool" thing to do, I was simply stating that the way the media sugarcoats suicide more young people who don't know the full effects of committing suicide is and with the way the media say this person was great and such but committed suicide, a younger person may look at it and think;

"My life is not worth living, and it seems like a good option"

Something across those lines anyway, because of the media. But my other point was, Amanda made her own problems and then couldn't sort them out. It sounds harsh, but it's just my view on the matter. But I understand what you are saying.

fair enough. i do see what you are saying up to a point and i would certainly agree the media do play things up and manipulate people. as i said you are entitiled to your opinion, and you were not offensive  where some could and proberly would have been so all's good. smile

Let me start by saying that I am in no way trying to be callous to the people whose lives have been affected by suicide.

That being said, I believe that it is completely irresponsible and a disservice to society to keep presenting these stories as if "cyber-bullying" was the the cause of someone's suicide. The real issue is depression, because I don't believe that any amount of bullying could possibly convince a perfectly well-adjusted and psychologically sound person to kill themselves. Obviously, in cases like this it doesn't help the situation but we need only to look at this girls actions leading up to her suicide to see that she clearly had problems beyond cyber-bullying.

As long as the media keeps presenting stories in this light and we keep believing them, it only distracts us from the real issue: depression is a pervasive and potentially life-threatening aspect of society that is not adequately being addressed.

^^^
I love what you said.

60053 wrote:

Let me start by saying that I am in no way trying to be callous to the people whose lives have been affected by suicide.

That being said, I believe that it is completely irresponsible and a disservice to society to keep presenting these stories as if "cyber-bullying" was the the cause of someone's suicide. The real issue is depression, because I don't believe that any amount of bullying could possibly convince a perfectly well-adjusted and psychologically sound person to kill themselves. Obviously, in cases like this it doesn't help the situation but we need only to look at this girls actions leading up to her suicide to see that she clearly had problems beyond cyber-bullying.

As long as the media keeps presenting stories in this light and we keep believing them, it only distracts us from the real issue: depression is a pervasive and potentially life-threatening aspect of society that is not adequately being addressed.

very well put and yes the media is very maniputive and thrives because people believe what they read in the papers and hear and see on the radio and t v. humans are very gullible and stupid and not as good as they think they are.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … -pain.html - I came across this and thought I'd post it here. This is what I mean, a 14 year old girl committing suicide over breaking up with her boyfriend? Really? This is what I mean, other young teenagers committing suicide has an effect on others and how the media reports them.

The Daily Mail is one of the worst publications I've ever read though. The other day a guy made the point that taking anti-depressants actually CAUSES people to commit suicide. His evidence? A lot of people who commit suicide are on anti-depressants. Seriously, that was his only evidence.

@HQ- Actually, some anti-depressants do come with a warning that they can cause suicidal feelings for teenagers.  Apparently the brain chemistry is different between adults and teens and they never tested for that before.

I agree that if that is his only arguments, that's really thin, because you don't take anti-depressants just for fun.

They're far from being fun.

The Daily Mail has one of the best laid out websites for news though, and have lots of different stories from all around the world. Not just one place in-particular, while some articles may be bad I like the majority of their stuff.

Last edited by Scavenger of Human Sorrow (2012-11-22 11:37:47)

I'm currently the most bullied guy in the class. The level is pretty much average.

Is suicide selfish? Yes. Is it a cowardly thing to do? Depends on how you look at it. Take into account that taking your own life goes against the grain of the survival instinct, something we all have. You have to be in a damn dark place in order to switch that instinct off. Also, what kXnPunk and 60053 said.