Topic: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

I know we covered this movie but I really feel it has no place in our Top films database.
http://www.horror-movies.ca/top-horror- … hp?date=20

What is your no holds barred thoughts?

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

How is it at #2? It's not even a horror film to begin with. I personally thought the movie sucked. But that's just me.

Last edited by Scavenger of Human Sorrow (2012-11-24 14:36:23)

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

@scavenger its #2 because hundreds voted it so. But I want to delete it so long as nobody thinks I am wrong in doing so , or can make a solid argument WHY not to.

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

I wanna keep it. To me it has some horror elements and heavy subject matter (such as in some scenes) to it. For example when.....drag to see text.

Our main protagonist is forced to shoot a innocent 'prawn' or when he is taken through the Multi-National United labs and we see horrific treatment of 'prawns' by their tortured corpses. Or when the head mercenary casually walks over to a injured prawn and shoots him in the head. U could literally see that guy as a perfect fit in a Nazi SS uniform.

So, As u guys have probably realised my own definition of Horror is relatively broad. I mean to me one of the aspects of horror that very strongly relates to me is when it is based or has very strong similarities to real life. Therefore the scenes as i have described above are particularly disturbing because we can see them as a political comment in the context of South Africa's very real and horrific apartheid past.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-11-24 15:34:46)

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

Honestly, I haven't even watched it yet. I guess I should find the time to do so. Same goes for Prometheus.

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

Delete it.
Not a horror film.

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

Vasquez wrote:

I wanna keep it. To me it has some horror elements and heavy subject matter (such as in some scenes) to it. For example when.....drag to see text.

Our main protagonist is forced to shoot a innocent prawn or when he is taken through the Multi-National United labs and we see horrific treatment of 'prawns' by their tortured corpses. Or when the head mercenary casually walks over to a injured prawn and shoots him in the head. U could literally see that guy as a perfect fit in a Nazi SS uniform.

So, As u guys have probably realised my own definition of Horror is relatively broad. I mean to me one of the aspects of horror that very strongly relates to me is when it is based or has very strong similarities to real life. Therefore the scenes as i have described above are particularly disturbing because we can see them as a political comment in the context of South Africa's very real horrific apartheid past.

this was also my logic in keeping it but seems we are VERY much the minority.

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

My thoughts, since you asked, would be to keep it.

We could go through the top 100 and have many discussions relative to various movies about what is / isn't horror with really good points on both sides.

In the end, if it isn't horror, people shouldn't have voted for it.  They did though.  They felt it was deserving of a top spot on a horror list.

For the record, I despise this movie and also don't consider it horror.

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

My 2 bananas-
I see it as mostly a sci-fi movie with social commentary.   Nothing against Vas, but nothing in the movie scared me.  Disturbed, yes, but not in a horror way.

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

it's not a bad film but it's not that good ethier. it's certainly not a horror film it's science fiction so i certainly have no problem with it being deleted.

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

It's not a horror movie, kick it out. I don't understand the fascination with lumping pure sci-fi movies into the horror category - not that it's particularly prevalent around here, but I have seen it around.

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

I didn't even know people considered District 9 a horror film.  I always thought of it as pure Sci-Fi.  I didn't dislike it and, in fact, I even got some enjoyment from it, but it wasn't horror.

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

I say delete it. Horror and sci fi are two separate genres, I can't see any reason for keeping films which are sci fi in a horror movie database.

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

^^
There are some exceptions made for sci-fi films, say like Terminator or Aliens, but those do have some(what) scary parts in them.  D-9, in my opinion,  belongs more on movies-online rather than HM.  But I'm just a monkey.

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

I don't even class Aliens (the sequel to Alien) a horror film, because to me it isn't. And D-9 certainly isn't a horror movie either.

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

^^
Yeah but Horror isn't purely about scares. Surely it can encompass a range of HORRIFYING emotions like disgust, shock, revulsion. In fact here is the definition of Horror: An intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust.

Ergo if u make a exception regarding sci films that may scare u like Terminator (incidentally I would argue that District 9 has far more disturbing scenes, such as the one I describe in my first post, and for the various reasons I mentioned, than Terminator has scary ones) then u should make a exception for District 9.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-11-24 18:25:27)

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

I don't even class Aliens (the sequel to Alien) a horror film, because to me it isn't.

See, this is my point.  We can argue all day about what is / isn't horror, and my horror may not be your horror...vice versa.  A lot of people clearly do consider District 9 to be horror.

Scavenger - I'm not knocking what you wrote, or disagreeing with you, just pointing out that you made my point.

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

^ No problem Ghostseeker, I can see what you mean. Everyone's opinion of what horror is changes (and can).

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

^^
This is the strength of HM- having respect for each others' opinions.  We often don't agree, but we don't go ballistic over the differences.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-11-24 18:41:56)

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

Great flick, liked it a lot, but it's pure sci-fi and has no place on a Top Ten Horror Movie list.

My two cents.

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

Exactly right aza as long as people understand and respect my view on District 9 Im happy (though I admit I do get very passionate about my views) and im not gonna bash peoples head over with it. Basically I think that though District 9 isn't pure horror like say the Exorcist but i believe that the elements I have highlighted make it, for me at least Sci-fi/Horror (65% Sci Fi 35% Horror).

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

Vasquez wrote:

^^
Yeah but Horror isn't purely about scares. Surely it can encompass a range of HORRIFYING emotions like disgust, shock, revulsion. In fact here is the definition of Horror: An intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust.

Ergo if u make a exception regarding sci films that may scare u like Terminator (incidentally I would argue that District 9 has far more disturbing scenes, such as the one I describe in my first post, and for the various reasons I mentioned, than Terminator has scary ones) then u should make a exception for District 9.

I don't consider Terminator or anything about it "horror."  To me, like District 9, it's sci-fi.  That it has a great deal of action and splatter is beside the point.  Die Hard has scenes of suspense and gore, but should we consider that a horror movie, too?

A horror film isn't defined by splatter.  It's defined by plot, by theme and by execution.  And District 9 is about as purely sci-fi in plot, theme and execution as it gets.

No offense intended, V.  I respect your opinion, we just happen to disagree on this one. smile

23

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

I have deleted the movie. as much as I thought it was worth having on the site ( I was the one who added it ) I think a solid point was made here and on our twitter and facebook that it had NO place on a top horror list.

The new Top Horror Films of the Decade List can be seen here;
http://www.horror-movies.ca/top-horror- … hp?date=20

FYI I also released a slightly altered look and added TRAILERS that are fast loading and 'slick'. Netflix instant stream links are next ( 99% done )

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

Nice work, man.  Looking good. smile

25

Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

Tks bud. it is a huge pain in the ass but its coming along nicely. ( works on mobile devices as well ). Today we have 14,000 votes in response to the ATROCIOUS top list I posted yesterday. The list is getting better.