Re: The Tomb, I want to DELETE District 9

Vasquez wrote:

^^
Yeah but Horror isn't purely about scares. Surely it can encompass a range of HORRIFYING emotions like disgust, shock, revulsion. In fact here is the definition of Horror: An intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust.

Ergo if u make a exception regarding sci films that may scare u like Terminator (incidentally I would argue that District 9 has far more disturbing scenes, such as the one I describe in my first post, and for the various reasons I mentioned, than Terminator has scary ones) then u should make a exception for District 9.

LoudLon wrote:

I don't consider Terminator or anything about it "horror."  To me, like District 9, it's sci-fi.  That it has a great deal of action and splatter is beside the point.  Die Hard has scenes of suspense and gore, but should we consider that a horror movie, too?

A horror film isn't defined by splatter.  It's defined by plot, by theme and by execution.  And District 9 is about as purely sci-fi in plot, theme and execution as it gets.

No offense intended, V.  I respect your opinion, we just happen to disagree on this one. smile

I agree about Die Hard, I dont think it is Horror. Though it is true that suspense can be a element of a horror movie aswell (Just look at Hitchcock as the 'Master of Suspense') any suspense we can find in Die Hard isn't placed in a compatible format as it is 90% action, if u get my drift. (Plus unlike District 9 it doesn't really have any significant political or real world parallels that give it a significant impact on the audience). I was just referencing aza's comment's in regards to Terminator and Aliens. But I still think District 9 has quite disturbing scenes in it as I previously described and gave reasons for. Fair enough though i respect ur own opinion.

If u say a horror film is defined by its theme and plot then cant District 9 be surely described as having themes that relate to the real world way more than other sci fi films, for example political themes and parallels relating to South Africa's actual horrific apartheid past. Therefore isn't it distinct from many other Sci Fi films?

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-11-25 07:19:29)

I for one consider Temrinator horror. a murderous machine destroying humanity is scary to me. I also consider HARDWARE horror for the same reason smile

Meh wrote:

I for one consider Temrinator horror. a murderous machine destroying humanity is scary to me. I also consider HARDWARE horror for the same reason smile

I echoe your point about Terminator actually. But Die hard as Lon said isn't Horror.

Just throwing this out here, since Meh is around and not always is.

Meh is awesome. big_smile

hah I am ALWAYS around but unfortunately my spare time is spent tweaking the site and chasing a damn dollar ( to keep this place alive ).

And a superb job you do, sir.

Ah I see! Well since you are here on the forums with us I wanted to let you know. Keep up the good work!

Indeed, if it wasn't for your hard work we wouldn't be able to have these rational and reasoned debates which I enjoy so much.

I am currently updating the moviedatabase to show if the movie is on NETFLIX for live streaming ( and stream it right on the page.

Its  a huge pain n my balls but I think its cool enough we need to do it smile Just so I can say we got it lol

Question-
Why was the YouTube embedding removed?  Copyright stuff?

(Also, sorry about your balls, lol  )

Last edited by azathoth (2012-11-24 19:51:40)

On the forums?

^^
Yep.  The YouTube tag doesn't work anymore.

good question. I will put it on a sticky note to look at.

^^^ Yeah.  Loved the Youtube embed feature.  I miss it almost as much as I miss my early twenties, which is saying something. hmm

^ I heard being with a twenty year old can help Lon...

... lol

As much as I like to think I'm a mack-daddy, I doubt I could keep up.  Halfway through I'd be all "My back!" and she'd be all "It figures."

This convo went into a weird area...

Of course, this is coming from a winged octopus with a Santa hat, so take it as you may.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-11-24 20:13:47)

@Lon - She may be like that, but again she's twenty. Of course I could bet she'd want you to go the whole nine yards more than once a day. Probably...maybe...yeah I am guessing she would if she was with you. lol

I'm soooo trying to find an inappropriate image for this...  I don't think any of them are legal within this galaxy.

Scav, you flatter me, sir.  Ten years ago?  Maybe.  But now the best I can do is maybe, maybe, three times a day.

I know, I know.  I've slipped.  But I'm 41, man.  My potency wasn't going to last forever. hmm

Just you wait Lon, when you finally get Ms. Fey your potency will be fully restored. Guaranteed. As long as you don't end up in jail for it.

Well, this thread certainly took a hard left turn. lol

Back to subject, anyone?

Went and looked at the decade list and noticed that both Hellboy movies are in there. Aren't those for the most part sci-fi also? Even more so than D-9?

I have no problem with D-9 being removed. It's what the community voted for. But seeing HB on the list made me think?  Hmmmmm, those crazy voters...?

I'm personally preferring this hard left turn we took. lol

Undie -- agreed.  The Hellboy flicks have horror elements, and the comics they're based on have an even stronger horror element, but those elements aren't played for horror.  They're played for fantasy.  They're not trying to scare you, they're trying it instill a sense of wonder, of the otheworldly, of the fantastic.

Not horror at all.