Topic: Madison County (2011)

Finally got around to seeing this backwoods killer clan film.

Did not think much of it at all until I realized (via DVD special features Q&A segment) that it was shot for the price of an SUV.  Wow!!! That certainly put a different complexion on things, and all the short comings I can now over look and appreciate this film for what they managed to get out of it. (A horror feature shot on the RED 1 for the price of an SUV??? Shiiiiiit... that is some serious money management!!)

Shot in Madison County, Arkansas, the director claims the pig mask was inspired by the mascot for the Arkansas Razorbacks.  LOL. Go HOGS!!!

The trailer is great btw, much better than the actual film, but... done on an SUV budget?? Damn!! They're good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1W9v-Z2o8s

Last edited by Bunshinsaba (2012-06-11 21:53:30)

Re: Madison County (2011)

Really wanna check this one out, im a fan of Nick Principe.

For the budget yea it is impressive, but I still thought it was just ok entertainment wise. But I own it and still enjoy it because I love slashers. I was in the same boat as you to be honest and then I watched the special features a couple of days later and it did make me think a bit differently. I would be pleased if I could do this with that budget.

That is impressive, especially considering that the film looks better than a lot of movies with bigger budgets.  That does change my perception of the film a bit.

alien25 wrote:

That is impressive, especially considering that the film looks better than a lot of movies with bigger budgets.  That does change my perception of the film a bit.

Save the opening scene, it looks pretty damn bad. There is zero atmosphere created by either the photography, the lighting, the exposures, etc, and in post production when they could have done so much more with color correction to make it visually look the mood.  It looks so "video".  But again, hiring a top grade post production crew and a top tier D.O.P. takes more money than they had unfortunately. But at least it looked better than CARVER. The bigger mystery is why the trailer looks SO MUCH better than the end product; leagues better in fact.

Last edited by Bunshinsaba (2012-06-12 21:04:49)

Vamp_Slayer wrote:

For the budget yea it is impressive, but I still thought it was just ok entertainment wise. But I own it and still enjoy it because I love slashers. I was in the same boat as you to be honest and then I watched the special features a couple of days later and it did make me think a bit differently. I would be pleased if I could do this with that budget.

The problem it has is what a lot of so-so horrors have; poorly sketched out villains/killers. Simply throwing a pig mask or welders' goggles over a dude and have him swing an axe ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH!!!  There is a real talent to looking and being frightening when all you have to work with is your body movement and a few squeals.  And it's even tougher to direct someone like that and create fear. Carpenter achieved it with Halloween, Hooper with the original TCM, and countless directors with the Friday the 13th films to name a few. But in Madison County, the director just had no real clue how to direct and shoot pigman in a way that he becomes a force to be feared.  He comes off as just some hired gun in knock-off SAW mask running around.

I just saw this and was very impressed.  Though there wasn't a lot new, thought it was done much better than other otherwise comparable movies.  The acting was MUCH better.  This was a solid enjoyable watch.

I liked this movie a lot, it was consistently entertaining and had some good kills. The ending was a little.....abrupt, I found,  but all in all good stuff.

I enjoyed it for what is was, Of course we have seen that same story a million times before but none the less I found it entertaining and fun it's also not that long. So its worth a watch if you have some time to pass.

Personally , i thought it was garbage. It was clearly a independent movie on a very low budget. Only thing i liked was the poster which was like those 80s horror movie.