Re: Last horror movie you watched?

the prowler- 80s slasher. acting was non existent but kill scenes 5/10
prowl - decent blood sucking horror 6.5/10
i spit on your grave (1978) - bit unsettling at times but great movie 8/10

I watched two Italian Giallo's with some of our HM CA friends recently. Black Belly of the Tarantula and The Perfume of the Lady In Black. Id give both a 6 out 10 but I slightly preferred the latter due to what I believed were its more visually pleasing use of colours and some impressive sequences (though I felt that the movie maybe wasn't effective as a whole. Though the english dubbing, sex scenes that resembled flailing bires on crack and some of the acting was quite funny.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-11-24 17:18:07)

Sinister (2012) -- I actually thought this movie was pretty good and quite creepy at moments. The story is fairly new and interesting, solid acting and a nice atmosphere.

8/10

^ I liked it a lot too. Probably one of the better horror cinema experiences for me.

^ I concur. Sinister was great.

Dolls (1987) - 1 year before the original Child's Play. Enjoyable but not outstanding take on the killer doll sub genre by Stuart Gordon. 7/10.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-11-24 17:39:43)

ChainSaW80 wrote:

Sinister (2012) -- I actually thought this movie was pretty good and quite creepy at moments. The story is fairly new and interesting, solid acting and a nice atmosphere.

8/10

For those that saw it, would someone please go to this Thread and look at my question?  I am genuinely curious what people have to say about this, and if I missed something.

http://www.horror-movies.ca/Forum/viewt … 22&p=2

kXnPunk wrote:

^^^
Can't wait to see it. I also have a huge crush on Juno and Riley isn't bad at all too. And what I've read about it makes me impatient to see it.

Tripod wrote:

Juno Temple is great, even though I thought her role in The Dark Knight Rises wasn't as prominent as I thought it to be.

If you guys haven't seen it yet, check out Killer Joe, a really good flick.  Juno Temple is fantastic in it, plus she does full frontal! wink  Then of course there is Cracks, which is the first time that I can recall seeing her in a movie.  I don't know what it is about her, but I just find her so attractive.  Definitely has that girl next door thing going for her.

Singapore Sling (1990) 2.5/5.
Thriller: A Cruel Picture  3/5.
Benny's Video (1992)  (3/5.
Wrong Turn 5: Bloodlines (2012)  1/5.

When I have more time, I will come back and write a bit more about these flicks.

28 Weeks Later - 8/10
Apartment 143 (Emergo) - 4/10
Anacondas: The Hunt For The Blood Orchid - 5/10

Silent House

Pieces (1982) 8.5/10
Sorority Row (2009) 4/10
Cannibal Ferox (1981) 8/10
Intruder (1989) 8/10

Mostley all great horror films.

Last edited by AClockworkOrange71 (2012-11-25 13:17:06)

The People Under The Stairs - 5/10

Started my holiday horror craze with Silent Night Deadly Night - Always a season favorite. 7/10
Christmas Evil - Not a great flick, but not a bad one either 5/10
Home for the Holidays - I love these old made-for-tv movies  6/10

Just finished watching The Last House On The Left remake and I got to say I was pleasantly surprised by it. 7/10

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

Christmas Evil - Not a great flick, but not a bad one either 5/10

That flick cracks me up, because it's basically about a guy who goes crazy after seeing someone in a Santa suit staring at his mom's vagina. lol

Decent flick, though.

I might have to start watching some Christmas themed movies, think I'll wait until at least December though.

I have a lot of films queued up to watch the the moment, it's either going to be Countess Dracula or a double bill of House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects tonight

13 ghosts ( 1960) 5/10

I just watched Four Flies on Grey Velvet (1971)

I found it pretty confusing to start with, but once it got going I quite enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as the other Argento films I've watched recently, but I thought the ending scene in the car was brilliantly shot. I gave it a 6/10

The Devil's Rejects - Brilliant - 9/10

Bride of Frankenstein - 9/10 Poor Frankenstein... sad

Dawn of the Dead remake (2004) - 10/10 Gotta love it.

Stage Fright - 9.5/10 One of the best slasher films of all time. Bravo!

Friday the 13th part 4 - 9/10 The best Friday the 13th imo

Cannibal Holocaust - 9/10 - What can I say. Pure brilliance, and horrifies the common individual, which makes the movie better.

I Spit on your grave (1978) - 9/10 Gotta love Revenge.

Dead Alive 10/10 - this is now one of my favorite movies of all time... I don't know if I could have liked this movie more.

Alone in the Dark (1982) - 7.7/10 A good movie, but I don't want to watch it again

Aliens (1986) - 10/10 My oh my I'm going to have to have a copy of this.. One of my favorites now.

I ended up watching the Old Dark House (1932) last night instead of The Haunting from 63. Great film. A perfect blend of humour and a strong, creepy atmosphere from James Whale. The atmosphere particularly benefits from the isolated and stormy setting which the characters find themselves in and the film's sequence shots of the cold and ominous interior of the 'old dark house'. Great performance by Karloff as the mad butler (despite his characters inability to speak, same as Frankenstein) and from the rest of the cast including Charles Laughton who some may remember as Dr. Moreau in Island of lost Souls (1932). Some particularly strong writing in regards to the characters dialogue also make this a very engaging and intriguing film. Overall a solid 9/10 for me.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-11-26 09:35:32)

AClockworkOrange71 wrote:

Just finished watching The Last House On The Left remake and I got to say I was pleasantly surprised by it. 7/10

Yeah, it lacks the scuzzy seventies roughie vibe but makes up for it with better pacing and doing away with the silly comic relief the original had.

Original - 7/10
Remake - 7/10

'Sinister'

What a bag of shite. I thought the acting was good. The family had good chemistry and Ethan Hawke did a great job conveying his horror as he delved deeper into the murders. Also, the "found footage" murder films were VERY creepy and well done. The hanging home movie is really, really , er, sinister, top notch murder set piece and a genuinely upsetting sequence.

That said, I can't really come up with anything else good to say about this painting by numbers haunted house shockeroonie. If you aren't a family with 2 kids who also happen to live in a house where the previous family was murdered, you're safe! That's a pretty small demographic. Also, there's the completely convoluted pattern. Sooo, he, and by "he", I mean Mr Boogie (lame) gets mad when you move? It's also a bit of "the chicken and the egg". How did the first murder happen? The Pagan Deity this movie centres around was bordering on creepy in the blurred images we were shown at first. Unfortunately, the director decided "MOAR IZ BETTURR!!" and, just like that, we're supposed to accept that a member of Slipknot has turned to a life of eating children's souls. Add that to the endless cheap jump scares (The boy's night terrors served no other purpose than to provide two cheap, easy scares), an erratic sound track and "BOOM!" sound effects and this movie was a complete let down. I can only assume that the "OMFG!! The kidz did it!!!" was supposed to be what would "fuck a lot of people up" about this cliche and boring film.

There is, however, one reason to watch this film, at around an hour in there's an acting masterclass between the blonde English woman and Ethan Hawke that makes the entire film worthwhile. It's rare to see such an exchange in genre films.

5/10 for the creepy home movies alone. If the rest of the film was as good as the grainy filmstock footage it might have been a mini-classic.

The Revenant (2009) - A second viewing and I still love this flick.  4.5/5.

The Exorcist 2: The Heretic (1977) - 2/5.

House 1 & 2.
#1- Fairly good, though I started getting tired of the flashback stuff.
7/10.

#2- Goofy as all get out (a caterpillar dog?!).  Way more "comedy" than horror.  Average.
5/10.

House of 1000 Corpses - 9/10

Halloween [2007] - 7.5/10

I loved this. I thought the backstory to Michael really added something, and although it was a little typical of the standard serial killer upbringing the way it was shot really appealed to me. I love the way Rob Zombie shoots his films, it's realistic and gritty and dark, right up my street.

Also, seeing Sheri Moon Zombie is always a plus, she was great in it