Topic: Favorite Xmas Horror

Gremlins, Silent Night Deadly Night, Tales From the Crypt - And All Through the House are my favorites and I'm trying to add more to the list.  Going to watch Black Xmas(1974)Tales From the Darkside episode Seasons of Belief for the first time this Xmas.  Black Xmas is supposed to be great of course as is the Tales From the Darkside episode.  What are some of your favorites?

Re: Favorite Xmas Horror

Rare Exports for me definitely! only watched it this summer and I don't think any Christmas horror has been as much fun for me personally big_smile

EDIT: my ridiculous Ipad likes to change perfectly normal sentences into long words!

Last edited by UltraViolence (2012-12-04 05:38:28)

^
I concur.

Silent Night Deadly Night for me. The remake comes out tommorow, hopefully it will be at least watchable.

Original Black Christmas and To all A Goodnight are my honorable mentions.

Last edited by Suspiria_89 (2012-12-03 17:13:10)

Gremlins!

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab101/DirtyGirlMovies/gremlins.gif

and also Black Christmas and Silent Night Deadly Night

Black Christmas and Silent Night Deadly Night.

Black Christmas and Christmas Evil

Silent Night Deadly Night is my favorite........

Definitely the original Black Christmas, though Christmas Evil is a close second.

I dont get why Silent Night Deadly Night is held in so high regard. Sure its a decent movie with some memorable and hilariously cheesy parts but the best christmas movie, no way. I respect ur guy's opinions though.

^^^ No, I agree.  I thought the movie was garbage at best.  Horrible acting, laughable writing...just a bad movie.  We watched it last year for Christmas Movie Night on Skype and all I could think while watching it was "Ch, ch, ch...ho, ho, ho..." lol

Black Christmas original gives me the Holiday shivers

The music in Silent Night Deadly Night is pretty great too.  Something about that movie just is fun to watch.  I can't wait to watch Black Xmas.  I've been trying to hold off to get closer to the Holiday but I don't know how much longer I can last.  Scrooged has some horror elements and is also directed by Richard Donner who was one of the producers/directors from Tales From the Crypt.  Far from a horror film but still great and worth mentioning.

It doesn't get much better than Gremlins with the combination of the Goldsmith score and Dante's direction.  One of the more magical movies ever.

Last Christmas I ordered and watched the Burning, Sleepaway Camp, and of course Silent Night Deadly Night.  I was obviously in a slasher phase but the funny thing is, now Sleepaway Camp and the Burning feel like Xmas movies to me.

Black Christmas (original), Silent Night Deadly Night and Christmas Evil for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ3qhpflogU

Something great about the way Silent Night Deadly Night really concentrates on the Xmas aspect.  One of my favorite trailers ever.

I also knew nothing about the remake. I am going to definitely watch that one of these nights it actually almost looks decent.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-12-04 14:55:21)

Black Xmas original. Period.
Although I liked the remake but never as much as the first one...

Punk, if you don't mind me asking, what did you like about the Black Christmas remake? I'm just wondering.

The girls [of course] and the shots. Some beautiful imagery that made the artist in my veins boil... smile
I don't mind.

I didn't like the original too much. The ending let it down for me personally. The rest of the film was fun though and I loved the Sorority mother smile

^^^
Oh yesss!!! She is amazingly cool. smile

Ok...here it goes...once again I dare go against popular opinion on here and will risk my stay at HM by speaking what many here would equate to blasphemy...

I like the Black Christmas remake.  I liked the atmosphere.  Liked the girls.  Liked the story to a point.  Found it not great, but an enjoyable watch.

Ok...It has been a while since I watched the original, but if I had to choose between the two to watch, I'd pick the remake.

^^^ I thought the movie was horrible in execution, but I could see they were trying to make it a bit more grim and disturbing, especially the scene where Billy's mom, though it wasn't explicitly shown, obviously had sex with him.  I have the screenplay on my PC (along with the screenplay for the original, incidentally) and as written it's much less forced and heavy-handed.

If they'd taken a more subtle approach, it may have been a decent flick (IMO).

I saw the Black Xmas remake in high school and I just remember hating it.  That was ten years ago though so I will probably give it another shot one of these days.  I appreciate movies a lot more than I used to. 

I tried to get into Rare Expors a Christmas Tale last night but at about 30 minutes in I turned it off.  Just couldn't get hooked.

Has anyone seen the Tales From the Darkside episode Seasons of Belief, or the Tales From the Crypt episode directed by Zemeckis?

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-12-05 14:46:55)

I don't think I need to say my opinion on the remake as I have here before, but what I can say about it is: the whole back story was a horrible idea (in my opinion). Like one of the many reasons Black Christmas (original) is scary is because we the viewers, have no idea who this killer is and what the motives behind what he is doing are. And then for a remake when you take that away, and make a sh*tty plot-line one, it hits the movie hard in a bad way.

Finally watched Black Christmas last night.  Great Slasher and it does appear to be the first of it's kind.  It was a slasher in every way.  All the scenes with the killer calling, and the last 30 minutes or so were just fantastic.  Had some very legit scary moments and a very nice twist for such an early slasher film.  Waaaay ahead of its time.