Topic: American Horror Story Tonight FX

Season 2 is called The Asylum and it is a completely different story.  It seems ridiculously dark and ready to deliver about the best scares movies these days deliver.  If you couldn't quite get into season 1 for whatever reason, I urge you to give season 2 a shot.  This show is straight up scary.

Re: American Horror Story Tonight FX

I'm actually looking forward to it, contrary to my opinion after the first season ended.  I thought season one was all over the place and didn't really get truly interesting until the last several episodes, but after it ended, and when I learned season two would be a completely different story, I was frustrated.  I hated that I'd just spent an entire season getting to know that family and getting involved in their plight, only for the show to start a completely different story this coming season.

But over the last few months, as I've followed season 2's news, I'm actually excited for it now.  And the biggest reason is Jessica Lange.  I think she's one of the all-time beauties and even now, in her sixties, she's still a looker.  But she's also a very good actress, so I'm looking forward to the new character she's playing.

So, yeah.  At first I wasn't interested, but now I am, and will be checking the show out later tonight.

Also looking forward to it.  Would be an interesting idea if they did a different place/scenario each season (as long as it's good), even if the actors are playing new characters each season.

My DVR is set and I can't wait!!!!

Well, just finished watching the season premiere.  I would call it dreck, but that would be giving it too much dignity.  It's the same shit as the first season, an onslaught of "shocking" sex and language, one overly ripe character after another, quease-inducing camera and editing, ham-handed writing and all the subtlety and nuance of a brick to the face.

It's a shame that such a wicked cast is being wasted on it. hmm

NOTE: Moving this to the Horror TV Shows Forum.

Last edited by LoudLon (2012-10-18 02:31:08)

Lon, I'm still excited to see it.  Never the best show or most original but still cool that something like it's on tv.  My wife won't watch with me so it's just there, sitting on my dvr, taunting me

I loved it I cant wait to see where they take it. The ending left me scared to turn off the lights I cant wait for more

This show keeps on delivering.

I love the style, its quick, quirky, sexy and insane.
Lange's acting is perfect, she is the bomb
The cast is spectacular, the acting tight, the tension is taunt Horror fun for all, bring it ba-by
A+++++

Just watched my DVR....yeah, this season is already twice as good!!!!!!!  So Amazing!!!

They are throwing everything but the kitchen sink in season 2 for sure - Demon possession - check. Alien abduction - check. Nazi war criminal - check. Serial killer - check. Some sort of unholy mutant experiments going on - check.

It's pretty much a sure bet that none of the characters will have a happy ending.  Better than season 1 so far imo , just wished that it wasn't so bleak all the time.

Now that's a twist i did not see coming in the latest episode.

Superb show. Much better than season 1. I love how fast-paced and briskly edited it is. It adds to the tension of being in an insane asylum, so props to that. The characters are more likeable, the plot is pretty much standard horror flare (but while tripping balls x10), and the scares more effective. Also like Evan Peters' character here more than in season 1. Dudes a very talented actor and I think he can outshine if he wants to. But Jessica Lange is in line for another Golden Globe nod, it seems. Very compelling show.

fmvgamer wrote:

They are throwing everything but the kitchen sink in season 2 for sure - Demon possession - check. Alien abduction - check. Nazi war criminal - check. Serial killer - check. Some sort of unholy mutant experiments going on - check.

It's pretty much a sure bet that none of the characters will have a happy ending.  Better than season 1 so far imo , just wished that it wasn't so bleak all the time.

Tis is why I don't like the first season. It threw too much at me all at once that I didn't have chance to let things sink in or compute what was happening. Too much happened all in one episode and I was often confused as to what was going on and how much time had passed. I don't think I'll be bothering with it tbh.

^^^ That same problem has been carried over to this season.  A lot of story threads but not one has yet to be really delved into.  This is superficial horror at best, IMO.

I think the 3rd ep did it for me. Ghosts in gimp suits getting main character pregnant and then the illegal abortion thing in ep3. It's like you don't NEED to shock me with dead babies in jars and scary pregnancies it's too much. There was no real horror just endless shock and attempts to get an emotional reaction from me. I know horror fans are pretty hardened these days but jeez..

I dare say that season 2 is better to season 1. It was a bit of a chore at times to finish off season 1 while i found season 2 to be pretty compelling so far.

While there'a  lot of storylines running concurrently , the main one revolves around the possessed nun and the secondary one revolves around the serial killer bloodyface and it's looking likely that the 2 will come together in the future , the WTF one is the alien abduction one , no idea what and how it ties into anything.

I'm of the opposite opinion in that I prefer season 1 to season 2 thus far, and I wasn't even all that big a fan of season 1. lol

They both had/have multiple storylines going at once but at least in the first season, it's clear what the main story is (or at least becomes clear by the fourth or fifth episode). 

This season, not so much.  Someone mentioned they threw in the kitchen sink this season and I agree, which results in the show having so many storylines jockeying for position that none have yet to be fully, deeply explored.  What you have are five or six weak, shallow storylines instead of one or two strong, driving storylines. 

But, being cursed with an attention span, that just doesn't work for me.  And just like last year, Jessica Lange's performance is what's been carrying the show this season, too, IMO.

From what I heard, Season 2 is way over the top and you are never given a break of the mental stuff - like you never get reality, you just get the mad stuff 24/7 though I haven't any of season 2 yet so I am only going by what I am told.

Probably my favorite show on these days.

Brilliant writing and multiple storylines keep the show fresh. 
Such a deliciously twisted and convoluted show.  You never fully know what direction it's going to take.  I give it a north of 5 on the 1-10 highbrow scale.  Next weeks ep. looks wild.

Not many shows on that I like.
I enjoyed the first season. The second seems darker. Me likey

Last week's episode finally took a step in the right direction.  I was actually happy to see Dylan McDermott; didn't know he'd be back this season.  Like last season, it seems they've opted to let the first 2/3 suck ass, then save it with final four or five episodes. 

I wonder why they don't just try to make an ENTIRE season good?

I thought the first season was okay...I wasn't thrilled tnat season 2 was going to be an entirly different story line. But I think im gonna give season 2 a look. The previews looked interesting and im interested in this