Topic: movie editing software

does anyone have any experience editing movies on a pc?  what software have you used or heard is good?  i had one friend tell me that imovie can make pretty good stuff and yesterday i was looking at a program called movieplus from serif.  i need something inexpensive.  any thoughts?

Re: movie editing software

It depends what sort of movies and how professional you want them to look, really. iMovies is very good, user friendly and easy to use and I've used Sony Vegas Pro before, videos come out looking polished and pretty professional, and it's also pretty straightforward to use.

well, i would hope that they would look pleasant.  movieplus had some the ability to use green screen effects, which i would like to use in a movie.  i don't want to spend much money because it's just for fun.  and i'd like it to be fairly easy to use.  i just looked at vegas pro and it's out of my price range.  have you used imovie before?  do you make indie horror?

I do all my stuff on a Mac, so I can't help you out here.

i just saw that there are versions of sony vegas pro that aren't really much more expensive than movieplus.  it's confusing.  what do you use with your mac?

I use a variety of programs I use, if I want something done quick I use don't Vegas, if I got some time its adobe, adobe after effects and any red giant plug in I can use , magic bullet, primmatte, mojo and with a little hand from video copilot action essentials 2

Vegas can do a lot of good things if u have the imagination to figure out how to do what u want with limited capabilities

are you using a version of Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum?

I have the latest version of Vegas pro but I had to go back to 10 just because red giant software isn't really that compatable with the newer versions

the "pro" version is way more expensive from what i see.  do you know what features it has that the "platinum" version doesn't?

Little things, like masking and 3d motion, I spent years doing stuff on just the regular version not knowing about pro. I suggest getting the best one u can afford. There is always different ways to get around software limitation with just a little creativity

Tiernay wrote:

There is always different ways to get around software limitation with just a little creativity

i think that's what i'm going to be doing.

Tiernay is using more pro stuff than I use; I do more basic, non-fancy stuff.  I do more audio stuff due to Movie Nights.

Going from using 2 vcrs to computers even windows movie make was amazing when I first used it

Neat, eh?    I remember being so excited when my dad got me a Super-VHS deck for my high school graduation.  How far we have come.

azathoth wrote:

Neat, eh?    I remember being so excited when my dad got me a Super-VHS deck for my high school graduation.  How far we have come.

We were born in the wrong tech age......but then again we probably apriciate practical effects vs cgi

found a good cheap one called hitfilm

azathoth wrote:

I do all my stuff on a Mac, so I can't help you out here.

Same here but I'm sure that Final Cut has got a PC version which is definitely an amazing one. Kinda like iMovie but with much more stuff.
But I still use Premiere and After Effects most of the time and prepare my shots into Photoshop.