Re: Phantasm II

Phantasm is no way scary. its laughable to me. What kind of weird kid follows his brother around and watches him have sex.

I think the first two movies have a lot of spooky and strange moments. In some ways 2 might be a scarier film due to the more macabre and dark tone it has compared to the original.

aceofspades70 wrote:

Seriously dudes, the Phantasm series is awesome.

I'm right there with you on that.  The entire series is strange in that you're never quite sure what's real or who's dead or alive.  It's a polarizing series, as it's not all that scary (my wife is scared of the Tall Man, however), not hardcore enough for the gore fans, and probably a bit too sci-fi for diehard horror fans.  However, it is certainly original, full of creative ideas, oddball humor and completely unlike any other series of films out there.  Perhaps, that's why some don't appreciate it.

The original has an ethereal, yet gritty 70s drive-in vibe, while 2 is an unashamedly action-packed 80s horror comedy that's more about fun n' FX than scares or atmosphere.  They're as different as the orginal TCM & TCM 2, Alien & Aliens, or Evil Dead & Evil Dead 2.  While the tones of these films are wildly different, there seems to be many who are fans of each for that very reason.  If you're just not into the Phantasm series, well, there's just nothing for it.

3 & 4 feel a bit made for TV, but if you've been on board for 1 & 2, you'll find a lot to enjoy about them.  So, yeah, I love Phantasm 2.  I'm ready for the long-rumored Phantasm's End.  They better get on it while Scrimm is still alive.

Vasquez wrote:

Phantasm is no way scary. its laughable to me. What kind of weird kid follows his brother around and watches him have sex.

Come on, man - that IS scary!

Phantasm V was mentioned earlier this year to head into production, hopefully it'll happen. It's been long overdue.

Anyway, back to the topic of Phantasm II, I can't wait for the Blu-ray coming out in September. I remember how painfully long the wait for it to hit DVD was, and to think it's coming to Blu-ray is pretty surreal.

its drug induced man the man the spheres fuck who wants to be there man...
I like phantasm... I guess I need to rewatch the others I remember 1 aqnd 2 they were cool ye

3 and 4 are definitely worth seeing if you liked the first two. They enrich the mythology quite a bit.

Some disappointing news for Phantasm II fans, apparently the Blu-ray release has been delayed. Plus side is I heard the studio releasing it will be including a lot of special features and wants to include as much as they can, so at least it'll be well worth the wait from the sound of it.

Phantasm II Blu-ray cover art.

It'll be coming out in the Spring as a Collector's Edition, so excited.

I'm all for waiting for a good release, but I'm a special features freak.

I am, too. I'm intrigued as to what the disc will include.

Some behind the scenes footage.

Thought I'd share that. Very cool, hope it'll be on the Blu-ray.

Maxwell wrote:
aceofspades70 wrote:

Seriously dudes, the Phantasm series is awesome.

I'm right there with you on that.  The entire series is strange in that you're never quite sure what's real or who's dead or alive.  It's a polarizing series, as it's not all that scary (my wife is scared of the Tall Man, however), not hardcore enough for the gore fans, and probably a bit too sci-fi for diehard horror fans.  However, it is certainly original, full of creative ideas, oddball humor and completely unlike any other series of films out there.  Perhaps, that's why some don't appreciate it.

The original has an ethereal, yet gritty 70s drive-in vibe, while 2 is an unashamedly action-packed 80s horror comedy that's more about fun n' FX than scares or atmosphere.  They're as different as the orginal TCM & TCM 2, Alien & Aliens, or Evil Dead & Evil Dead 2.  While the tones of these films are wildly different, there seems to be many who are fans of each for that very reason.  If you're just not into the Phantasm series, well, there's just nothing for it.

3 & 4 feel a bit made for TV, but if you've been on board for 1 & 2, you'll find a lot to enjoy about them.  So, yeah, I love Phantasm 2.  I'm ready for the long-rumored Phantasm's End.  They better get on it while Scrimm is still alive.

YES!!! I too think The Tall Man has MAJOR Creep factor going and squirm everytime he hits the screen.

"Boyyyyy!"

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OpKCgEAaWyI/Th3Kp-7ykPI/AAAAAAAAAck/TbRkQQvysVY/s1600/tallman.jpg

That's awesome, I must get that printed out big_smile

I watched all four Phantasms earlier this month for October. I still love them all but 2 still stands out as the best to me.

I've seen them all but the fourth. 2 is excellent, and 3 is okay. Thing I liked most about 3 was that Reggie actually used that awesome shotgun, which seemed to not get enough action in the 2nd movie.

However, I absolutely cannot stand changing actors for lead roles (Mike from 2 to 3)... wish I could get over that.

The fourth is worth seeing if you've enjoyed the previous movies for sure. I feel all four retained consistant quality, even if the series arguably peaked with the second.

That's good, just hadn't gotten around to it yet. Will do for sure.

Isn't someone trying to remake this (or Phantasm in general)?

Last edited by azathoth (2012-11-03 18:07:49)

I remember hearing New Line was to do a remake trilogy years ago but it seems to have been put aside for now.

The release date for the new Blu-ray has been announced as being March 5th, 2013. Can't wait.

Every scene in Phantasm with the Tall Man, or with the music theme playing is great.  Also the scenes where they are playing guitar are damn near classic.  Very scary movie that I saw for the first time about a year ago and it blew me away. I don't like the second nearly as much as the first.  SO many classic scary moments in the first like the Tall Man picking up the casket, or hovering over the kids bed, or strutting across the street with the loud ass Phantasm theme playing.  The last scene in the first is also just special.

Another series I need get into, will start series tomorrow

There still four at the moment right?

Yes, four entries with a possible fifth on the way.

I saw this in theaters 3 times when i was 7 when it came out and loved it as much as the first one, this series is a unique sci-fi fantasy horror saga indeed.

And who's excited for Shout/Scream Factory's Special Edition blu-ray? i am and i pre-ordered it.