Topic: Night of the living dead is public domain how would you do it?

we all know one of the greatest zombie movies of all time is night of the living dead, and its public domain so that means any one could redo it add to the original and what not, if you were to do your own how would you do it , shot for shot, adding in scenes killing off certain characters or allowing them to live?

Re: Night of the living dead is public domain how would you do it?

I wouldn't, personally, touch it at all.  I am not even in the same ballpark as Romero.

there has been alot of baaaaaaaaaaaaad remakes of it like night of the living dead 3d (they made ben white) so I can understand where your coming from, but lets just say you have the resources and such to do it

I wouldn't touch it.  The company who slapped on the credits may have forgotten to imprint it with a copyright notice, but just because that means anyone can tamper with it doesn't mean they should

The original is perfect, and is the vision of a uniquely gifted filmmaker.  It relays the socially relevant themes and attitude of its time.  I don't see the need, or have a desire, to mess with it.

LoudLon wrote:

I wouldn't touch it.  The company who slapped on the credits may have forgotten to imprint it with a copyright notice, but just because that means anyone can tamper with it doesn't mean they should

The original is perfect, and is the vision of a uniquely gifted filmmaker.  It relays the socially relevant themes and attitude of its time.  I don't see the need, or have a desire, to mess with it.

out of curiosity...what movie would you redo?

Nothing.

I'd just leave it, I'd personally just ruin the thing.

Tiernay wrote:

Horror Hotel and I don't even care if they fail. I'm a huge fan so I'd still like it even if it's crap.

But Night Of The Living Dead, I'd leave it like it is, a great old school classic which doen't need to be remade.

i agree that i wouldn't touch it, it's been done enough and the original is competent enough.

Tiernay wrote:

My philosophy on remakes is that the only films which warrant them are those which left room for improvement to begin with.  The Fly and The Blob immediately spring to mind; a couple of mediocre oddities which were vastly improved upon by filmmakers who knew what they were doing.

Off the top of my head, I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of Class Reunion Massacre (aka The Redeemer: Son of Satan).  It had some good ideas and one or two effective moments, but in the hands of, say, a John Carpenter or Wes Craven -- a couple guys who know what it takes to make a good slasher flick but who also know how to tell an intriguing, involving story -- this could be a knock-out.

I don't understand the concept of remaking brilliant films - they are brilliant already, go remake films that have potential but never lived up to it. They are the ones that should be remade.

I'd say Slaughter High could be remade and turn out better. I love the original, a personal favorite of mine but I think it could be done better.

Ooh, ooh, I know, get Tom Savini to direct it and have it star Tony Todd, then colourise it and a guaranteed winner is born!

Wait a minute...

To relate to modern audiences, have the zombies be tweenagers and give them jet packs and grenade launchers. Have the survivors hide in a club only to be driven out by arachnoid zombies with wings that vomit toxic sludge. The survivors come upon a Power Ranger Megazord-esque robot to destroy the zombies. When all is said and done, an old black man wipes the survivors out with an AK. He then turns to the camera and says, "It ain't easy being cheesy". Fade to black. big_smile

Last edited by HypnoticDead89 (2012-12-11 17:12:42)

Tiernay wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

I'd never EVER touch a classic like NOTLD. Savini did it and it wasn't really THAT bad but it didn't need a remake but I think it's an insult to a brilliant movie by putting something else in there or changing it in anyway. I wouldn't touch the most loved but I think I'd tackle something like THC give it some meaning, punish people who needed punishing for example not an innocent truck driver and some teenagers. I'd love to do something more extreme than mainstream.

HypnoticDead89 wrote:

To relate to modern audiences, have the zombies be tweenagers and give them jet packs and grenade launchers. Have the survivors hide in a club only to be driven out by arachnoid zombies with wings that vomit toxic sludge. The survivors come upon a Power Ranger Megazord-esque robot to destroy the zombies. When all is said and done, an old black man wipes the survivors out with an AK. He then turns to the camera and says, "It ain't easy being cheesy". Fade to black. big_smile

Best......... Movie..........EVER

@Tiernay
You're welcome. big_smile

I would not mess with it. Just because you can get your hands on something doesn't mean it's a good idea to change it. I mean, why bother? If you're interested in film making then you should be creative, and taking someone else's idea and just changing it around is hardly that.

Also, the film is a goddamn masterpiece. I absolutely love it, and I don't think anything that I could bring to it could ever improve on it in a hundred years

Oh Snizzle, I just saw Tiernay's new avatar!  That is f'n great!  Is that your own pic?

A friend posted it on my wall no idea who's it is

Cool- random Cthulhu!

You should see the clthu-loops t shirt I have breakfast of overlords

Romero's movie influenced me so much in my love for zombies and horror in general. It is overall my all time favorite movie. Let's give it the respect and love it deserves. Preserve this masterpiece and set it on a pedestal of pure awesomeness on SO many levels.  The timeframe it is set is in perfection. I will always be in horror-awe of it.

Man vs Zombies these all movies are so horror.

^^^
Who would have thought.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2012-12-14 10:18:19)

Romero WAS a great director. Now he's just a meandering joke, who needs to shut it down, and never make another movie... ever.

While I agree, it doesn't need yet another remake, I'd do it. What would I do with it? Muhnuhnuh? But if someone were to toss money at me, and say, "Hey asshole, remake NOTLD!", I'd do it. Why not? I'd probably push it over the top, and take out all the "Humans are the real monsters" rhetoric, cause frankly, that's GAR's thing, and honestly, it annoys the fuck out of me. Zombie flicks should be about the Zombies. Oh, and the pseudo "racial" shit would go too. So not needed at this point. Savini dropped it, and it needed dropping.

I would produce it, and get Romero on board as a consultant, and maybe cajole Quentin Tarantino to direct it and let him go wild with it. Now the fun part, casting it.

Ben- Samuel L. Jackson

Barbra- Emma Stone

Harry- Chris Cooper

Helen- Susan Angelo

Not sure about the others, but I would trust Quentin's judgement.