Topic: Disappointing year?

Someone on another forum mentioned that this year has been one of the worst for horror. What do you guys think? Was this year a good year for horror for you? Biggest let downs? Best movies of the year? What do you guys think of the horror expected to be released in 2013?

I think this year hasn't been great personally but I've had some fun with the likes of Cabin in the woods and some indie projects out there. Excision and American Mary look great! This years season of The walking dead has blown season 1 and 2 out of the water too! Looking forward to next years Abc's of Death and the Evil Dead remake.

Re: Disappointing year?

This year has had some decent horror releases; such as Cabin in the Woods and VHS, but as a whole this as been a terrible year for horror. I was going to write a " Top ten horror films of 2012" article like I do at the end of every year, but honestly I'm having trouble finding ten horror films that came out this year that I actually like.

Lets just put this out here, 2012 has been a bad year for horror movies. Maybe even worse than bad. There's just not a film that stands out and you think, "That will be a film people will look back on in years to come" - I just don't see it.

Cabin in the Woods was decent yes, but it's still not top notch horror.

A weak year overall.

I was personally significantly underwhelmed by Cabin In the Woods and V/H/S I didn't find to be, as a whole, particularly impressive either. But American Mary is without doubt, in my opinion one of most impressive new horror flicks I have seen in, at least the last few years. I think that it will certainly be a film that in Scavenger's words "people will look back on in years to come". Don't know if anyone else has seen The Seasoning House (that I saw at Frightfest) either but I thought that was really good aswell. What is so standout about this particular flick is the performance by Rosie Day as the deaf and dumb girl Angel. Very powerful. I also enjoyed [REC] 3 quite a lot which was my fav of Frightfest second only to American Mary. Prometheus was for me a spectacular cinema experience aswell despite its criticisms and far more enjoyable than the higher praised CITW's . Overall though I guess the year maybe hasn't been as good as previous which saw, comparatively, many acclaimed titles like Hobo With A Shotgun, Grave Encounters, Red State, The Woman, Bedevilled, Cassadaga, Troll Hunter, Stakeland, I Saw The Devil, The Dead and The Cropsey Doc. Though 2011 did have a major stinker for me in the form of the Thing prequel, especially since I actually spent my student money on the crp at the cinema. It was a CGI catastrophe. Reminded me of the computer animated videos in the PS1 resident evil games.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-12-15 19:41:49)

I loved Cabin the first time I saw it but found weaknesses second time around -- though I still enjoy it.  I haven't watched a great amount of new horror this year, though.  Mostly because nothing interested me.  So while I'd consider this year disappointing horror film-wise, take into consideration that I'm a great deal more fickle than most.

I am with Vasquez on this one as far as Cabin in the Woods and VHS are concerned. Never understood a fascination with either. To me Sinister, Mother's Day and The Innkeepers stood out.

A few words. Grave Encounters, PROMETHEUS, Cabin In The Woods, [•REC] 3,  Underworld Awakening, Resident Evil 5, Silent House. As good a year as every one.
Waiting Impatiently for ABCs Of Death, Mamma, Pacific Rim, Stoker among a lot of others like Evil Daed remake.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2012-12-16 09:41:52)

kXnPunk wrote:

PROMETHEUS, [•REC] 3,  Underworld Awakening, Resident Evil 5, Silent House.

All bad.

I loved Mother's Day. Really wasn't what I was expecting. It was brutal in parts and the story was pretty good. One to add to my Bluray collection when I find it.

Prometheus was disappointing but it wasn't that bad. Could have done so much better imho. So I came away feeling pretty meh.. I don't think I'll be buying it anytime soon.

I think Cabin people try to take it too seriously while it was supposed to be a bit of fun. I laughed, cringed, groaned at the cliches and enjoyed the mahoosive bloodbath. Delivered for me completely.

Killer Joe I started watching last night. Believe it's 2012 released. So far very good.

Excision looks good as does American Mary. Everything else just hasn't grabbed me.

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:
kXnPunk wrote:

PROMETHEUS, [•REC] 3,  Underworld Awakening, Resident Evil 5, Silent House.

All bad.

TOP of the year for me. tongue

No one else seen The Seasoning House? - I defo recommend it, if only just for the central girl character's performance.

^^^
Looks cool and Anna Walton's in it, loved her in Hellboy II.

I didn't see much that impressed me a whole lot, but then I haven't seen a lot of the films mentioned above yet.  I'm notoriously late on watching new films.  Plus, we've been watching lots of old school films (70s, 80s) for a while on our Skype nights; that doesn't help getting me caught up, lol .

Well it certainly hasn't been an outstanding year for mainstream horror but there have been a few good Indie ones this year.
Here is the tomb...  please go and vote for the ones you liked...

http://www.horror-movies.ca/top-horror- … ?date=2012

Personally my favs so far have been...

The Lords of Salem
Cabin in the Woods
Sinister
The Woman in Black
The Innkeepers
The Divide
V/H/S
The Pact
Theatre Bizarre
The Snowtown Murders
Excision

Haven't seen American Mary or Hell yet, but they look promising...

A still a lot movies of this year, Most of year i being seeing a lot of last year lol

I am still looking forward to see are
The Grey (I know it's not really horror)
Brake
Grabbers
The Divide
Excision
Hell
Prometheus
Cockneys vs Zombies
Others  which I not sure about

The Bay
The Possession
Chernobyl Diaries
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
The Tall Man
Intruders
Lovely Molly
The Incident
When the Lights Went Out
A Little Bit Zombie
407 Dark Flight

Prometheus was cool, but it's a stretch to call it horror. I liked it though.

I think it's been weak this year but I definitely haven't even come close to watching all the horror movies out this year.

Hmmm... I liked Sinister quite a lot, even though it felt cheap at times. V/H/S was decent but a couple of the stories in it sucked ass. Grave Encounters 2 was an embarrassment. The Bay was kind of good. REC 3 didn't impress.

Lovely Molly was good also.  Fantastic performance by the lead actress.

I think 2011 was a much better year...I did enjoy a few.

A Cabin in t uh e Woods - 8
Lovely Molly - 8.5/10
V/H/S - 6.5/10
Sinister - 7/10
The Divide - 8/10
Prometheous - 7/10
Grabbers - 7/10
Cockneys vs Zombies 7/10
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter 7/10

Thats all I got for now

Oh I enjoyed Rec 3 also pretty fun film...7/10

I must of been one of the few people who hated [REC]. Genesis.

Rec 3 was pretty cool and gory.  What's not to love about a Chainsaw wielding Bridezilla?  lol 

It  just wasn't anything like the two previous RECs and that dissapointed a few fans.

One of my many reasons I hated it was it was stupidly bad. Like, really bad.

Meh...  It was just an average Zombie film that's all.  It had a few good bloody scenes though. 

So are you saying you hated it because of the bride with a chainsaw?  or because it had a lot of humour instead of scares?

I loved the chainsaw scene kinda reminded me of Peter Jackson's Braindead in it's wackiness. I think that it is good that they took a different and fresh approach to the series. If u wanna watch some serious and genuinely scary REC watch 1 of the first 2, for a more fun one watch the third - ergo more options. The whole argument reminds me of how some people complain that the Freddy films got more silly and slapstick as the franchise progressed - though that was more a marketing thing.

Like, I hate it for a number of reasons (stated before) but all my reasons come back to the main point which is, it's not original and it's too stupid to be actually funny. I just get mad watching it because of how...well, stupid it is. There isn't barely a story either, it's just this wedding has gone to sh*t - end of.

I just honestly hate it.