Topic: Your Favorite 80s Semi Obscure Slashers?

I re-watched Sleepaway Camp last night for maybe the 3rd time ever, and it completely knocked my socks off.  When you see the mother of the two kids at the beginning I just couldn't help but feel terrified. The story is so damn creepy you can't help but sit there scared through the whole damn movie(if you already know the ending).  The first kill with the pedophile Chef is just outstanding.  After the movie ended I was definitely scared, which is just a great feeling.

What are some of your favorite obscure slasher flicks? I'm talking besides Friday the 13th, Halloween, Psycho, Nightmare on Elm St. 

I've recently watched Intruder which was very unique.  The Grocery Store atmosphere really started to grow on me after the second viewing, as well as the Clerks esque characters.  I also watched Black Xmas(director of Christmas Story) a few days ago which is now one of my favorites.

Also if you want to simply just discuss Sleepaway Camp or any other crazy ass slasher here, we should do it.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-12-18 12:57:09)

Re: Your Favorite 80s Semi Obscure Slashers?

Psychos in Love
Blood Diner
Intruder
Stage Fright
Blood Frenzy
The Burning
The House on Sorority Row
Motel Hell
Rocktober Blood
Happy Birthday to Me
Body Count
The New York Ripper
Pieces
Slaughterhouse
Lunch Meat
A Blade in the Dark
Slumber Party Massacre
Mark of Cain
Hell High
Graduation Day
The Carpenter
Night School
Terror Train

Those are the only ones coming to me at the moment.

April fools day.

LoudLon wrote:

Psychos in Love
Blood Diner
Intruder
Stage Fright
Blood Frenzy
The Burning
The House on Sorority Row
Motel Hell
Rocktober Blood
Happy Birthday to Me
Body Count
The New York Ripper
Pieces
Slaughterhouse
Lunch Meat
A Blade in the Dark
Slumber Party Massacre
Mark of Cain
Hell High
Graduation Day
The Carpenter
Night School
Terror Train

Those are the only ones coming to me at the moment.

Definitely going to check a few of these out.  Haven't heard of Hell High, Mark of Cain, A blade in the Dark, Lunch Meat, Rocktober Blood, Psychos in Love, or Body Count.  Really liked Stage Fright, Intruder, and the Burning of course.  I couldn't make it through House on Sorority Row.  I will probably watch Slumber Party Massacre tonight.  I've also got Happy Birthday to Me on deck.

Always been rather partial to the Slumber Party Massacre series myself.
The first is a paint-by-numbers misogyny fest with a drill-bit lopping finale which immediateley lends it a femininist conclusion, (yeah, right!), the second is a musical (!) and the third is, to be fair, prolly one of the greatest disposable and trashy slasher films you could ever wish to see with plenty of scantily clad teenage volleyball players just asking to get slashed to smithereens! Ah, good ol' Slumber Party Massacre and its utterly madcap sequels! They sure don't make 'em like that anymore, thank God! big_smile

loved the burning.

Nevermindit being a relatively obscure Slasher, but Stage Fright is one of my all time favourite slashers.

Blood Frenzy
X-Ray (aka hospital massacre)
To All A Goodnight
Edge of the Axe
Nightmare(1981) AKA Nightmares in a Damaged Brain
The Mutilator (make sure you watch the uncut version)
Curtains
Death Valley
Cannibal Campout
The Town that Dreaded Sundown
The Dorm that Dripped Blood
Splatter University
Sorority House Massacre
Final Exam

And basically everything Ron said LOL

Last edited by Suspiria_89 (2012-12-19 01:05:49)

Definitely going to check out Curtains.  I've been going through your lists trying to pick out ones worth watching.  I'm looking for good ones like Black Xmas, Silent Night Deadly Night, Sleepaway Camp, Intruder, Stage Fright, Happy Birthday To Me, Sorority House Massacre, TerrorTrain, The Burning.  Not huge on the incredibly low budget stuff.  Couldn't quite get into stuff like Blood Diner and Pieces. 

I can't find To All a Good Night on the internet unfortunately, or Night School.  Basically I just love the atmosphere of a dark nighted teen slasher.  Trying to find more.

The Dorm that Dripped Blood looks sort of interesting. 

Cannibal Campout?  I think this one is just a little too out there and obscure for me haha.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-12-19 14:19:26)

I woud say The Prowler if that count's.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-12-19 14:27:21)

Yea I def need to give the Prowler a go...A Masked Killer stalking college kids is definitely what I'm looking for. I just prefer the ones that are done with decent acting, music, and cinematography. 

Might try out Bloody Moon as well.

Also something about Slumber Party Massacre that just doesn't do it for me.  I like everything except the killer doesn't scare me at all.  I haven't seen the end so that is assuming there is not some terrifying ending like Black Xmas had.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-12-19 14:29:54)

In fact id say Joseph Zito has directed my favourite non-obscure slasher flick in Friday 13th: The Final Chapter and obscure one in the Prowler. He is the man.

Oh I didn't know that.   That is awesome.  Always love learning about Directors.  The Final Chapter is my favorite of the 13ths as well.  Corey Feldman in a young roll definitely shows that Zito knew what he was doing as far as the casting was concerned.  Also stars crispin glover of course.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-12-19 14:37:51)

My jaw hit the floor when I watched Sleepaway Camp for the first time last year - I happened to completely avoid all talk around the movie. I just sort of stared at the screen after that one.

A couple more, not sure if they've been mentioned yet:

Visiting Hours
Maniac Cop
Hell High
Maniac (not a fan myself, but most other horror geeks are)
Tenebrae
Opera

Those last two aren't really slasher flicks, they're gialli  -- which are basically the Italian version of slasher flicks, but with more emphasis on mystery.

Tourist Trap
Just Before Dawn
Rituals
Patrick
Unhinged

LoudLon wrote:

A couple more, not sure if they've been mentioned yet:

Visiting Hours
Maniac Cop
Hell High
Maniac (not a fan myself, but most other horror geeks are)
Tenebrae
Opera

Those last two aren't really slasher flicks, they're gialli  -- which are basically the Italian version of slasher flicks, but with more emphasis on mystery.

Damn how could I forget the original Maniac. Love that one along with The Prowler. Good call on Tenenbrae though like u I wouldn't call it a slasher. Giallo just sounds more classier and suits it more

I am trying to avoid mentioning well known flicks, just a few obscure ones I like, but some aren't that obscure:

Maniac (80)
Deadline (81)
Society
Things (89)
Madman
Bloodsuckers From Outer Space
Truth Or Dare? - A Critical Madness
Nekromantik
Alice (Neco z Alenky)
Scarecrows

theres tons more but that will do for now

Last edited by DemonToSome (2012-12-19 19:55:58)

Great thread. I absolutely adored Sleepaway Camp, the feel of dread throughout, the fantastic kills and as I hadn't heard anything about the ending I was shocked and laughing my socks off. Loved it.

I love slashers in general, I just watched Intruder (1989) which is set in a shopping mall and had some really good kills in it. I don't mind even if they are super-low budget, as long as the kills are good, inventive or funny it's pretty much guaranteed that I'll like it!

Nightmares in a Damaged Brain (1981?)
Stage fright (1987)
Intruder (1989)
The Nesting (1980)
The Initiation (1984)
Beyond the Darkness (1979)
Dont go in the House (1979)
You better Watch Out (1980)
Just Before Dawn (1981)
Motel Hell (1980)
Happy Birthday to Me (1981)
Slumber Party Massacre (1982)

Not sure if all these would be considered obscure in any way but...maybe to some.

I heard The Burning mentioned!  That is being released on special edition blu ray in 2013 and I can't wait.  Scream Factory...I love

I watched the Prowler and it was pretty darn cool.  Especially the ending.  A few of the kills were top notch as well.  Didn't like it quite as much as Black Xmas, or Intruder, Sleepaway Camp or StageFright, but it was definitely the type of movie I was lookin' for when I started this thread.

I remember really liking Happy Birthday To Me so I might give that one a watch tonight.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-12-20 13:03:19)

^
Cool, glad to be of help big_smile

Lon and Sus pretty much nailed em. 
On a side note I think the first sleepaway camp is the worst of the bunch though I haven't seen return. I'm probably alone here but the ending to the first is just horrible. Just bad. The movie is alright but there are so many slashers that deserved more recognition IMO.

Vasquez wrote:

In fact id say Joseph Zito has directed my favourite non-obscure slasher flick in Friday 13th: The Final Chapter and obscure one in the Prowler. He is the man.

Whatever happened to him? He's been MIA since the 80's other than one lacklustre movie in 2003.