Re: The Connecticut Shooting

Life is unpredictable and sometimes scarier than any horror film.

In life we just a need hero. All these mass murderers and serial killers take the spotlight, but these police, soldiers, and firefighters, and bystanders don't seem to be taking the mantle.

^^ Police brutality EVERYWHERE! I wish all these people who commit crimes were only mentally unstable.

I don't really feel like comenting on here, like Lon said...coming to a place like this where we don't have to talk about what everyone else is talking about means a lot to me. But the can of worms was opened. So here goes, for what it's worth.

I mostly agree with what I think Az is trying to say.  I'm truly saddened that this happened and can't imagine how I would feel if it were one of my kids.  But the truth is that we live in a world that at times is cruel and heartbreaking.  Even the news junkies are only getting the tip of the iceberg.  People will do evil things to others who don't deserve it and most of us will find that to be completely incomprehensible.  I wish it would stop.  I think we all would.  But the fact is that we will see this happen again.

Now, I don't belive that it's getting worse out there, as we can easily be lead to think.  I'm sure it was Much worse to be living in Europe in the 40's or in the States during the Civil War, or like Az said, Africa Today.  We have to put this into perspective.  These are the actions of a mentally damaged person who's entire life's existence lead him to do what he did.  We all wish it didn't happen...but it's not systemic.  There was a series of cumulative steps that made him decide to go out one day and kill as many people as he could.  It's tragic, but we don't know enough about these things to predict them in time to stop them.  Hopefully we can learn from these real life horrors and one day get to a point where this can be avoided. 

Now banning guns won't really work.  I think the US could look to itself and consider the effect that the gun culture is having on the degree of mass shootings but an outright ban wouldn't take guns out of the people who really wanted to use them.  I have to say that I shoot guns...I'm rather good at it but I've never, ever shot at a living thing.  I have no interest in hunting.  I just like knowing that if I had to, I could take out a threat in an event.  I think there are more people out there like me than there are like him...and if that's the case, then I'd rather keep my gun.

this is getting long...

^^
Good point there- the 24 hour news cycle never stops.  When the next bad thing happens, say like by Wednesday, the Conneticut shooting will be dropped from the news.

It's NOT the place where such violences [sick ones I might add] happen that is the problem but the whole stupid world we live in. It's up to each one of us to change things by taking position and doing the most we can as a respectable citizen of mother Gaya. We MUST take actions. My own opinion.

^^
Concur.  I try every day to do something nice for people, like holding doors.  I recycle, I don't litter, but I do fling poo (but that's biodegradable and good for the garden).

Seriously, just a little thing each day adds up.  Heck, just say "Thank you" to a person on a phone or a cashier or your mailman.  Back when I was young 274 years ago, I always felt better when some came back with a VHS tape (kiddies, go Google it) and said "Thanks for the recommendation.  Loved the film."

You know how we respect each other here?  Do it every day to some random person.  We're not evil drop bears; we can do good every day.

And dang, that was long than expected.

^^^
Yup. Little things make a big difference.
Lots of little things make a huge one.

Jack, Az, and KX in particular - I appreciate your posts and tend to agree with much of it.

^^^
Glad to know that. Means I'm not as crazy as I seem. lol

ok here is how I feel on the issue. The massacre is devastating, no way I can dwell on innocent slaughter. My heart aches for the loss of something SO precious.
Gun control is not the answer, the people who "think" in the realm of destruction without guns would still find a way, swords, bombs, ect. The REAL issue is mental health. Where I live we have no mental institutions anymore. The local jail takes in the mental problems and of course they are released according to the legal system. with no help given. With the increase of mental problems, crap in our food and combination of drugs legal and illegal messing with peoples systems, this needs to REALLY be addressed. We need more mental help/institutions where we can head this type of thing off at the pass. More people are needed (skilled) to help and places to go for help. The government needs to start new programs at grassroot/local levels. Our Culture IS changing we need to change with putting the help in place. More education should be given in schools, workplace, ect. on what to do, how to address issues. Mothers and Fathers and caregivers of others already KNOW certain people need help, lets get people the help they need. NOW.

^^
You bring up a good point.  Back in the 70s or 80s federal/state funding for mental health clinics went kaput, and everyone was just released onto the street.  Ocean Grove, NJ, where I lived for a while, got a whole bunch of metal patients basically dropped on the street.  Luckily, it's a big religious town, so a lot of them got some help.  1/2 mile north, in Asbury Park, those dropped off their went a bit wacky because that place was already a dump.

The government spends $trillions on bailing out their buddies in businesses, while just a maybe a couple of dozen $millions could help a bunch of people with psychological problems.  What's a child's life worth; one CEO's pension, two?  3?

Government doesn't give a shit for anyone that isn't shoveling money straight into their campaign funds.  I've written to my state and federal CongressCritters and Senators, and the only stuff I get back it- "Thank you for your letter/email, the Congressman/Senator will take a look at it."  BS!  If I walked in with a $1 million check, yeah, they'd talk with me then.  I just read that campaigns are starting up for 2014 and 2016! 

Err...
/ranting
(for now)

^^
Soooo agree with you thedeadshallrule. Mental health IS a big problem. I know, I've lived with one for years and if I wouldn't have got the professional help, I woulsn't be still here to agree with you...

azathoth, yeah, money talks and people listen. Our governments even more...

Last edited by kXnPunk (2012-12-20 07:19:25)

^^
Sad, isn't it.  Whoever has the most whores (no offense, ladies) gets into office to then suck on the taxpayers teats. 

I think I'm going to build Monkey Island and you're all welcome.

^^^
Hopefully there'll be non monkey ladies on this island, if so, I'll be glad to join. lol

Monkey Island is non-speciesist.  (I have no idea how to spell that.)
All organic thingy's are welcome, though if you have special dietary needs, you need to bring those yourself.

On TV, they said that 20 of the people killed were babies!!??

You asshole.

I'm closing this thread.  Anybody's got a problem with that, take it up with another mod.

But not with me because I agree with Lon.