Re: What R U Reading?

I have both Walking Dead Compendiums and just started on the first one yesterday.

Finished with "Real Alchemy: A Primer For Practical Alchemy" by Robert Allan Bartlett.

It was good, but not quite what I had expected. I found that a large portion of the book was all recipes for herbal and mineral mixtures, which makes sense, but I thought the book would be more concept-based. I'm not really a hands-on learner. I'm more of a concept, idea guy that likes to sit down on a recliner and think. So, an overwhelmingly large portion of the book was of no use to me, but the philosophical, conceptual side of it was thoroughly fascinating. I'd recommend this read to those who are actually interested in the creation of alchemical substances, rather than merely the implications of them.

next, I'll be starting on LSD: My Problem Child by Albert Hoffman. Really excited for this one.

Note: Yes, I know I have strange reading material. You don't need to tell me that I'm a freak, I already know. big_smile

Strange??? Not really.
Reading the telephone book, now THAT'd be weird. lol

kXnPunk wrote:

Strange??? Not really.

Lol, touche!

Yes! Finally! TPODG in only 15 days!

kXnPunk wrote:

Strange??? Not really.

Back when my mom was young, she read the Encyclopedia Brittanica, starting from the beginning.  I think she said she made it to "p" before she went to college.

Creature and I both read stuff that most people would consider odd.  The kid is a sponge for science- we can expect good stuff from him.

I'm picking up John Dies At The End from the library today.  Heard much goodness about it.  Also have to tell the library I lost one of their book, which has much badness about it.

right now, reading a Scanner darkly because a friend brought it over on the weekend thinking it was mine and I want to finish it before he realizes it's not.  It interrupted my reading of Goethe's Faust...inspiration for my next tattoo.

Sin City: The Big Fat Kill

Flying without a broom:Astral projection and the astral world.

Finished up LSD: My Problem Child by Albert Hoffman yesterday, and man, what a great book. Albert Hoffman was the first chemist to synthesize lysergic acid diethylamide (that's LSD), as well as the main ingredients in 'sacred mushrooms', mainly psilocybin and psilocin. What started out as a series of fascinating substances set up for scientific research and clinical experimentation for the benefit of mankind, soon became a hippie-frenzy during the 1960's counterculture movement (in which LSD became the number one popular drug among the masses) and resulted in these substance's current illegal status. Hoffman talks of his meetings with figures like Aldous Huxley (author of Brave New World, Doors of Perception, etc), Timothy Leary (the infamous LSD guru), among other poets and artists. His kindness and grace shines through this book, and it was neat getting to know him better on a personal level (as opposed to the sensational, media explosion around him and his discoveries). Anyway, this is definitely one of the essential texts to pick up for those interested in the world of hallucinogens/psychedelics, etc.

Now starting...Breaking Open The Head: A Psychedelic Journey Into the Heart of Contemporary Shamanism by Daniel Pinchbeck.

Last edited by The Creature (2012-12-18 17:22:23)

azathoth wrote:
kXnPunk wrote:

Strange??? Not really.

Creature and I both read stuff that most people would consider odd.  The kid is a sponge for science- we can expect good stuff from him.

Thanks for the mention, Azzy. smile

Moving on to The Canterville Ghost.

Which... is NOT a horror story!?

The Creature wrote:

Now starting...Breaking Open The Head: A Psychedelic Journey Into the Heart of Contemporary Shamanism by Daniel Pinchbeck.

Awesome man.  I read that.  Read all those guys, Alpert/Ram Das, Wolfe, Leary.  Got into that for about a year until my amazon recomendations were nothing but derivatives.  When you get into Shamanism and Peyote, it really sheds light on where guys like Huxley's headspace was at.

I'm trying to find a novel called Fallen, they say that Twilight fans will love it.... ugh.... I hate Twilight, but I guess I will give this book a small read when see it. Heard that Disney is going to adapt it! What the f*ck!? Seriously Disney!

@Creature- no problem; I think we should support the young people who have an interest in science.

Anyhoo- I plan on cracking open John Dies at the End today.  I need a break from Lovecraft; he's a very dense read.

A Lost Boy wrote:

What the f*ck!?

Tired of warning you, kid.  Do it again, see what happens.

Seven chapters into Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and and a few Edgar Allan Poe stories/poems. Been on hold for a while, but when I start reading again hopefully I'll get back into the groove.

JackBurton wrote:
The Creature wrote:

Awesome man.  I read that.  Read all those guys, Alpert/Ram Das, Wolfe, Leary.  Got into that for about a year until my amazon recomendations were nothing but derivatives.  When you get into Shamanism and Peyote, it really sheds light on where guys like Huxley's headspace was at.

That's wicked, JB. Shamanism, Hallucinogens, and mystical visionary experiences are really, really interesting to me right now. I ordered a bunch of books off of Amazon, so I've got myself buried up to my neck in psychedelic literature. I haven't read a lot of Leary, but I've listened to a lot of his lectures/interviews on YouTube and definitely wanna check out a few of his books (other than the standard, 'The Psychedelic Experience', which I've already read). Fascinating stuff, man.
Have you read DMT: The Spirit Molecule by Rick Strassman?

A Lost Boy wrote:

I'm trying to find a novel called Fallen, they say that Twilight fans will love it.... ugh.... I hate Twilight, but I guess I will give this book a small read when see it. Heard that Disney is going to adapt it! What the f*ck!? Seriously Disney!

Perhaps you are referring to Lauren Kate's Fallen series.

I am reading The Strain by Del Toro right now and I can't put it down.  It's about a Vampire virus spreading through the US.  Lots of action so far.  He is talking about turning it into a TV series which would be frackin awesome!

Azz-  I have partially read John Dies at the End now.  I think you will enjoy it.  It is really funny.   But I saw the movie first so I already know what is going to happen in the book. Looking forward to the second book!

H

MoonRaven wrote:
A Lost Boy wrote:

Perhaps you are referring to Lauren Kate's Fallen series.

It's a young adult series. So yes it is similar to Twilight, Vampire Diaries, Hunger Games, etc.  but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Some YA books are really good... Harry Potter smile

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2012-12-22 17:26:24)

I'll be the first to admit that I own many YA series that are supernatural type stories.
I like them big_smile

If I was your husband I wouldn't be reading shit... hint hint tongue

Got back into reading the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons once again. Think I read those books like ten times and it's as good as the first time.
Love these books, really good Horror SciFi I think.
Just read that Bradley Cooper is planning to put it on screen. Now that could be great. Let's just see if that comes to reality which I would truely DIIIG!!! smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2012-12-28 10:39:18)